[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Red Rover, Mother May I and Duck Duck Goose were all games we played before [[video) games played us. Did you guys divvy up teams by playing "One Potato", where kids stood in circles with two fists presented? The kid doing the divvying up would hit each fist in order and say "1 potato, 2 potato, 3 potato, 4. 5 potato, 6 potato, 7 potato more". The kid who got his fist touched on "more" put his hand behind his back and the ritual started over with the next kid. The last kid with a hand in the circle [[or the first with both hands behind his back) was the one who got selected or won what was being offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Red Rover, Mother May I and Duck Duck Goose were all games we played before [[video) games played us. Did you guys divvy up teams by playing "One Potato", where kids stood in circles with two fists presented? The kid doing the divvying up would hit each fist in order and say "1 potato, 2 potato, 3 potato, 4. 5 potato, 6 potato, 7 potato more". The kid who got his fist touched on "more" put his hand behind his back and the ritual started over with the next kid. The last kid with a hand in the circle [[or the first with both hands behind his back) was the one who got selected or won what was being offered.
    Yeah I remember one potato, two potato etc. LOL! I was in Pittsburgh last weekend visiting my nephew. He, his mother and a few of his friends are teachers. They were explaining to me how they can no longer use the term "Dodge ball" because it has been deemed to be too violent, so they call it something else now. I nearly fell out when I heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah I remember one potato, two potato etc. LOL! I was in Pittsburgh last weekend visiting my nephew. He, his mother and a few of his friends are teachers. They were explaining to me how they can no longer use the term "Dodge ball" because it has been deemed to be too violent, so they call it something else now. I nearly fell out when I heard that.
    I used to be scared to death playing dodge ball. I had a friend named Dave who got a concussion playing in the 7th grade. I didn't know that was possible until then. Of course, hitting someone in the head eliminated the thrower but it happened. I still can hear the sound that the ball made popping off of his face. The rest of the day in class and study hall, his eyes were bloodshot and he was dizzy. In 2018, they'd send him to the ER but in 1974, he just had to kind of rub some dirt on it and go about his day.

And when I made it to high school, my sophomore gym class somehow got combined with my older brother's senior class in a dodge ball match. Of course, the big kids picked us off one at a time. Thanks to my dislike for dodge ball, I hid behind other kids until I was the last one on my team against three on the other side. I collected most of the balls and got lucky throwing one guy out. Then, I caught a ball. Finally, I tried to juke and a kid hit the heel of my foot and the ball popped up about 15 feet in the air and I caught it easily. I got to play hero for a day. Later, my brother [[the most competitive person in my family by far) vented that they would have won if "Pele" hadn't been the last one playing and for the rest of the 10th grade, the seniors called me Pele.

I used to be scared to death playing dodge ball. I had a friend named Dave who got a concussion playing in the 7th grade. I didn't know that was possible until then. Of course, hitting someone in the head eliminated the thrower but it happened. I still can hear the sound that the ball made popping off of his face. The rest of the day in class and study hall, his eyes were bloodshot and he was dizzy. In 2018, they'd send him to the ER but in 1974, he just had to kind of rub some dirt on it and go about his day.

And when I made it to high school, my sophomore gym class somehow got combined with my older brother's senior class in a dodge ball match. Of course, the big kids picked us off one at a time. Thanks to my dislike for dodge ball, I hid behind other kids until I was the last one on my team against three on the other side. I collected most of the balls and got lucky throwing one guy out. Then, I caught a ball. Finally, I tried to juke and a kid hit the heel of my foot and the ball popped up about 15 feet in the air and I caught it easily. I got to play hero for a day. Later, my brother [[the most competitive person in my family by far) vented that they would have won if "Pele" hadn't been the last one playing and for the rest of the 10th grade, the seniors called me Pele.
    Are you sure you weren't playing "Battle Ball" which is a much tougher, violent version of Dodge Ball?

Yes, we had "One Potato", but we used "Dip, Dip, Dip" more often. It went:

Dip, dip, dip,
    My little ship,
    Sailing in the water,
    Like a cup and saucer,
    You are not It,
    Because the king and queen said so.
    O-U-T spells Out.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Yes, we had "One Potato", but we used "Dip, Dip, Dip" more often. It went:

Dip, dip, dip,
    My little ship,
    Sailing in the water,
    Like a cup and saucer,
    You are not It,
    Because the king and queen said so.
    O-U-T spells Out.
    Why do you guys have to be so difficult? LOL!!!!!