[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    And when airline flight attendants were "stewardesses"?

Does anyone remember when department stores had 'elevator operators'? I remember
    as a [[really) little kid seeing them in the bigger department stores. That was my career goal at the time. I thought it was SO cool. I was also fascinated with those 'tube's they
    put money in and sent off through this elaborate tubing system at the check out area. I don't know what that system was called? Pneumatic something??
    Last edited by lakeside; 10-26-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Manufacturing plants and hotels had them too.
    Most banks still use the pneumatic system - drive thrus. The DMVs too, inspection lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Does anyone remember when department stores had 'elevator operators'? I remember
    as a [[really) little kid seeing them in the bigger department stores. That was my career goal at the time. I thought it was SO cool. I was also fascinated with those 'tube's they
    put money in and sent off through this elaborate tubing system at the check out area. I don't know what that system was called? Pneumatic something??
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  21.1 KB
    Pneumatic tubes.
    I used to wish I could get in a big Pneumatic tubes that would go to my house, when I was drunk, late at night at a party across town [[and especially when I rode my bicycle there). I used to have to drive my bike back home from 1:00 A.M. till about 2:30, about 30 kilometres to a village east of Bremen, from my friends' house near Oldenburg [[way west of Bremen). I usually felt terrible when I finally arrived. But there were no trains going between those 2 cities after 11:00 PM, and no other public transit. And, cabs for that distance across State lines would have been quite expensive.
    Those bottles that carried the messages or money within large building complexes and their tube systems looked like miniature rapid transit [[monorail) type systems. Which is why I thought of wanting something like that for personal changes of location. They were sort of like Downtown Seattle's monorail, if the cars had a plastic roof and sides to protect the riders from rain and stray bullets.