[REMOVE ADS]

A Tribute Film to the 70s Supremes?

I came across this today:

I enjoyed watching this. I did not know that their final performance was broadcast live by the BBC. How nice it would have been if the final Vegas performance was broadcast live in the states.

It says that Cindy left the second time because of conflicts with Pedro. I don't think I ever read of Cindy having conflicts with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I enjoyed watching this. I did not know that their final performance was broadcast live by the BBC. How nice it would have been if the final Vegas performance was broadcast live in the states.

It says that Cindy left the second time because of conflicts with Pedro. I don't think I ever read of Cindy having conflicts with anyone.
    Yes, Mary's farewell concert was broadcast live in the U.K. and recorded. Yes Cindy and Pedro had some pretty heavy "disagreements" [[which were I hear partially instigated by others.....).

I've read that before per Cindy and Pedro about the second time she left. Also JRT talks about some conflicts Cindy had with Diana , in both of his books and Diana talked about it in her book. Cindy also gave an interview years ago speaking of feeling ripped off by Motown. Regardless she sure is highly respected.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes, Mary's farewell concert was broadcast live in the U.K. and recorded. Yes Cindy and Pedro had some pretty heavy "disagreements" [[which were I hear partially instigated by others.....).
    Yes it was broadcast on the BBC as I recall and very good it was too!!

Not sure that it was actually the BBC.....

There's a programme of the show somewhere in a box here. Without checking, I seem to recall that it bears the logo of Capital Radio, a London based radio station serving the Greater London area.

The show was recorded live by Capital Radio, and then broadcast a little later - but perhaps not in its entirety?

So I don't think it was a national broadcast, unless at a later date, and by arrangement.

It was indeed a wonderful show, opened by Billy Ocean..and the ladies all seemed happy to share the spotlight with each other, laughing and joking. Mary was pregnant [[with the late Rafael?) - or, 'with child', as Scherrie and Susaye gleefully announced to the audience, although it was already rather apparent....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

There's a programme of the show somewhere in a box here. Without checking, I seem to recall that it bears the logo of Capital Radio, a London based radio station serving the Greater London area.

The show was recorded live by Capital Radio, and then broadcast a little later - but perhaps not in its entirety?

So I don't think it was a national broadcast, unless at a later date, and by arrangement.

It was indeed a wonderful show, opened by Billy Ocean..and the ladies all seemed happy to share the spotlight with each other, laughing and joking. Mary was pregnant [[with the late Rafael?) - or, 'with child', as Scherrie and Susaye gleefully announced to the audience, although it was already rather apparent....
    You may well be right on that one but I am from the North West of the UK which was not covered by Capital at that time, yet I heard the broadcast. I don't suppose it matters much who it was. The most important thing was that it was an excellent show as one would expect.

Yes, I've been wondering how you might have heard it on the radio. I'm on the South Coast. Went up to London to see the show, but I don't remember hearing it later on the radio...because I have the recollection that it was simply due to living out of range. Perhaps it was made available to some other local stations.

The music and the clips make it all seem like yesterday....but really, it was all a very long time ago.....

It was first broadcast on Capital Radio in London but it wasn't the whole show. I recorded it on one of those cassettes we used to have back then. Then it was broadcast again with some different songs and then I lost count.

It was never televised to my knowledge; it's only audio and not visual

She was pregnant with Pedro Jr.

That was really enjoyable. Thanks for posting, Marv.

Yes, I've been wondering how you might have heard it on the radio. I'm on the South Coast. Went up to London to see the show, but I don't remember hearing it later on the radio...because I have the recollection that it was simply due to living out of range. Perhaps it was made available to some other local stations.

The music and the clips make it all seem like yesterday....but really, it was all a very long time ago.....
    I think I heard it on Manchester's Piccadilly station. It was a few weeks later as I recall, but as we said earlier it is all irrelevant in comparison to the actual event.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    That was really enjoyable. Thanks for posting, Marv.

You are very welcome! Maybe this will give "someone" the idea of a documentary!

You are very welcome! Maybe this will give "someone" the idea of a documentary!
    We can but dream Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    We can but dream Marv.
    I would think one on the Supremes years 1970-77 would be more doable since there was less controversy and the music was always great.

I would think one on the Supremes years 1970-77 would be more doable since there was less controversy and the music was always great.
    Agreed. This era is very underestimated by the so called experts. Fortunately we know better.

Pedro Ferrer was an inept man. The problems between he and Cindy were purely about business and how he lacked the skills of managing the group, which Mary later admitted to. No one instigated anything between the two. Cindy was asked back into the group by Mary. There were problems from the start when Cindy came back. She had changed and the whole group dynamic had changed. Motown was really involved very little in what was going on with this new grouping. They were truly cast adrift. Add to this Cindy's marital problems and then divorce. As she has said, her heart was no longer in being a Supreme.

As far as a reunion of post-Diana Supremes, nobody would love this more than I. But the fact is there would be little to no demand by concert promoters, now part of a much younger generation, of any Supremes without Ross. To them you may as well have Kaaren Ragland's group; only the devoted fans would know the difference. And another thing, whatever grouping of 70s Supremes that would be put together, the majority of the show would have to be the 60's hits like the FLOs are doing now. Some people might know Stoned Love or Up The Ladder. Few will recognize Floy Joy or You're My Driving Wheel.

After the 2000 Return To Love debacle, I think the Supremes legacy, which I treasure, is best left alone.

The 70s Supremes would sell out clubs just as the Three Degrees do, only more so because of their fame. I bet they could also get a Vegas residency.

This is true and since Diana went on to become a HUGH star even after the Supremes, people will want Diana part of it or people will ask why is she not part of it. Mary seems happy and Diana is happy so I suggest we let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Pedro Ferrer was an inept man. The problems between he and Cindy were purely about business and how he lacked the skills of managing the group, which Mary later admitted to. No one instigated anything between the two. Cindy was asked back into the group by Mary. There were problems from the start when Cindy came back. She had changed and the whole group dynamic had changed. Motown was really involved very little in what was going on with this new grouping. They were truly cast adrift. Add to this Cindy's marital problems and then divorce. As she has said, her heart was no longer in being a Supreme.

As far as a reunion of post-Diana Supremes, nobody would love this more than I. But the fact is there would be little to no demand by concert promoters, now part of a much younger generation, of any Supremes without Ross. To them you may as well have Kaaren Ragland's group; only the devoted fans would know the difference. And another thing, whatever grouping of 70s Supremes that would be put together, the majority of the show would have to be the 60's hits like the FLOs are doing now. Some people might know Stoned Love or Up The Ladder. Few will recognize Floy Joy or You're My Driving Wheel.

After the 2000 Return To Love debacle, I think the Supremes legacy, which I treasure, is best left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The 70s Supremes would sell out clubs just as the Three Degrees do, only more so because of their fame. I bet they could also get a Vegas residency.
    Sadly this is delusional and an illusion as well

supremester Guest
    They couldn't get a Vegas gig in the 70's - why would they now? I would love for any grouping of Supremes to hit in Vegas, but they'd need a real producer to direct the show and put egos aside. The public would not take to Mary singing Supremes hits as her voice is not what made them popular. Scherrie & Lynda, singing them as originally recorded, would work well while Mary could be featured with several knock out ballads. Classy choreography [[not like the silly routines they did romping around on TV) and I think the could play indefinitely in Vegas - if they could get the name. Olivia Newton John plays to a few hundred a night and Domnny & marie at half houses both at The Flamingo. I know that with a great show, "The Supremes" would sell out that little room nightly. SLM would be the best looking group and they have the strongest voices that I think would blend beautifully.

Those gowns that Scherrie, Susaye and Mary are wearing would have worked for "This is Why I Believe".

this is the first that I've seen of MSS doing this live clip of IGLMHDTW. any idea what tv show it's from?