[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Supremes and 4 Tops courtesy of TOTP video

Last edited by luke; 08-11-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Levi

you are the best

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I am still amazed at seeing that clip after so many years of seeing still photos of that appearance. Thank you Luke!

My pleasure Marv. I feel the same way!

I saw this on another website last year and saved it. It is such a pity that this is the only tv performance they ever did together. Everyone, but especially Mary look like they are having a ball. I think I am correct in saying they were together on stage briefly in London around the same time. I think both groups were touring the UK and they performed a couple of numbers together if my memory serves me correctly. Wonderful clip and thank you again for posting it Luke.

Bluebrock, there's an earlier thread which features this clip [[maybe before you joined us earlier this year?) but it's still good to see it again, thanks.

I seem to remember posting on it that I saw The Supremes join The Four Tops onstage at the end of their concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Bluebrock, there's an earlier thread which features this clip [[maybe before you joined us earlier this year?) but it's still good to see it again, thanks.

I seem to remember posting on it that I saw The Supremes join The Four Tops onstage at the end of their concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London....
    That's the one!! I knew I hadn't imagined it. I couldn't remember whose concert it was but I recall one of the acts hijacking the concert!! Oh to have been there..........

WGB

Would that be as a paying member of the audience or as the interval usherette selling ice cream tubs and Kia-Ora orange!

lolol

LOLOLOL

Well, if I ever were to be the usherette, I'd certainly make sure I wore full stage makeup...and would face the audience at all times!

No, I was in the audience [[a post in the other thread gives account, I think)...there with a ticket provided courtesy of my aunt, who is still alive, still living independently at 94 years of age, and lives ten minutes from me.....

Oh, after all this time, to remember everything about it.......

And I had a spare ticket, too!

If the recordings are good enough to hear time after time, then these clips are good enough to see, time after time.

This is great for historical purposes, but the performance itself seems a bit frenzied and all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    This is great for historical purposes, but the performance itself seems a bit frenzied and all over the place.
    That is perhaps part of it's charm. They probably had little or no time to rehearse. Maybe the actual performance was the rehearsal as well. I remember seeing the performance back in the day and even at a tender young age I could hardly believe these two legends of music were performing together. I love it and never tire of watching it.

Mary, I take your point, and also agree with Bluebrock.

Their appearance, and their clothing, has the feel of a dress rehearsal.

I wonder too if, indeed, that's what it is. I hear applause, but see no-one else in the studio..and TOTP usually had the studio audience around the artists.

Perhaps the two groups only had time to film with the band in an empty studio, for insert later into the show?

Mary, I take your point, and also agree with Bluebrock.

Their appearance, and their clothing, has the feel of a dress rehearsal.

I wonder too if, indeed, that's what it is. I hear applause, but see no-one else in the studio..and TOTP usually had the studio audience around the artists.

Perhaps the two groups only had time to film with the band in an empty studio, for insert later into the show?
    You may have a point here. If we could see the whole edition we would probably have a better idea if this was the case. It would have been tough to have both groups together especially if one or the other had a gig that evening.
    We must also bear in mind that when this performance was recorded the producers would have had no idea that over 40 years later future generations would be studying and picking holes in the production. It was never meant to be viewed again, indeed many performances were wiped immediately after broadcast mores the pity.

Exactly. There's a TOTP performance of 'Forget Me Not' by Martha, Lois and Sandy which seems lost forever.....

Exactly. There's a TOTP performance of 'Forget Me Not' by Martha, Lois and Sandy which seems lost forever.....
    Not to mention several Supremes, Four Tops, Mary Wells and Temptations performances.