[REMOVE ADS]

New martha duet to be released august 21st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just found out that on August 21st sees the release of a Teddy Pendergrass CD called "Duets love and Soul" it includes a duet with Martha called "Come go with me".

It is an album of Teddy classics which have been turned into a duets project. I have heard the duet with Angie Stone which sounds nice. Linda Clifford, The Stylistics and Bonnie Pointer are amongst the other duet partners. It's a cash in without a doubt but I adored Teddy [[still do) so I shall no doubt be purchasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calv1971 View Post
    Just found out that on August 21st sees the release of a Teddy Pendergrass CD called "Duets love and Soul" it includes a duet with Martha called "Come go with me".
    Im buying this one thanks for the heads up.

fondly,

Roberta

A word of warning for anyone thinking of buying this album. Teddy's vocals are not taken from the original Philly masters but from inferior sessions recorded just a few years prior to his death when his voice, God bless him had receded quite badly. I am TP'S biggest fan but this project is a cheap, tawdry cash in.
    Had they used his original vocals it could have been an interesting project, but this album is exploiting his memory and I for one will not be purchasing it. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It is an album of Teddy classics which have been turned into a duets project. I have heard the duet with Angie Stone which sounds nice. Linda Clifford, The Stylistics and Bonnie Pointer are amongst the other duet partners. It's a cash in without a doubt but I adored Teddy [[still do) so I shall no doubt be purchasing it.
    When I posted my initial response I had only heard a 10 second clip on which Angie Stone was more evident than TP. Buy at your peril!

I purchased the TP Duets CD for two reasons: [[1) I was always a Teddy fan, and [[2) I definitely wanted the Martha duet. I am truly glad I bought it.

Someone posted earlier that "Duets - Love and Soul" is a cheap tawdry cash-in and referred to the poor quality of Teddy's voice. I grant you, the guest artists on this collection are not by any means what one would call currently top stars, yet I think the collection is actually quite entertaining. I read in an article on the Billboard magazine website that Teddy's vocals come from a master recording session from around 2000, and while his voice truly was not at its strongest by that time, there is nothing overtly wrong with these performances. They still sound like Teddy through and through; just in a mellow mood. In fact, I personally am glad that the "duets" are not built around his classic PIR recordings. Those might have been too perfect. As is, the duets feel more "real" to me... sort of as if a mature TP got together with some old friends and performed his songs in the here and now. I like it...

Stand-out tracks, in my humble opinion, are "Love TKO" [[with Angie Stone), "Turn Off The Lights" [[with Linda Clifford), and the version of "You're My Latest, Greatest Inspiration" [[with The Stylistics). The Jody Watley and Tom Scott track, "I Can't Live Without Your Love" is excellent. The duet with Martha on "Come Go With Me" is good - and it is absolutely wonderful to hear Martha on a new recording in 2015 - though honestly, her vocal isn't exactly spectacular. Still because it is Martha, it has charm, and I enjoy listening to it.

My only complaint about the CD is that the guest artists were not used enough. The Stylistics are barely audible on their tracks, and Bonnie Pointer's vocals are minimal on "Only You."

All-in-all, I really, really, really like the Teddy duets CD. Cheap and tawdry? Of course, everyone has his or her own opinions, and I totally respect that. For me, however, the TP "Love and Soul" CD is entertaining and fun to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    I purchased the TP Duets CD for two reasons: [[1) I was always a Teddy fan, and [[2) I definitely wanted the Martha duet. I am truly glad I bought it.

Someone posted earlier that "Duets - Love and Soul" is a cheap tawdry cash-in and referred to the poor quality of Teddy's voice. I grant you, the guest artists on this collection are not by any means what one would call currently top stars, yet I think the collection is actually quite entertaining. I read in an article on the Billboard magazine website that Teddy's vocals come from a master recording session from around 2000, and while his voice truly was not at its strongest by that time, there is nothing overtly wrong with these performances. They still sound like Teddy through and through; just in a mellow mood. In fact, I personally am glad that the "duets" are not built around his classic PIR recordings. Those might have been too perfect. As is, the duets feel more "real" to me... sort of as if a mature TP got together with some old friends and performed his songs in the here and now. I like it...

Stand-out tracks, in my humble opinion, are "Love TKO" [[with Angie Stone), "Turn Off The Lights" [[with Linda Clifford), and the version of "You're My Latest, Greatest Inspiration" [[with The Stylistics). The Jody Watley and Tom Scott track, "I Can't Live Without Your Love" is excellent. The duet with Martha on "Come Go With Me" is good - and it is absolutely wonderful to hear Martha on a new recording in 2015 - though honestly, her vocal isn't exactly spectacular. Still because it is Martha, it has charm, and I enjoy listening to it.

My only complaint about the CD is that the guest artists were not used enough. The Stylistics are barely audible on their tracks, and Bonnie Pointer's vocals are minimal on "Only You."

All-in-all, I really, really, really like the Teddy duets CD. Cheap and tawdry? Of course, everyone has his or her own opinions, and I totally respect that. For me, however, the TP "Love and Soul" CD is entertaining and fun to listen to.
    mistercartert2u - I am glad you are enjoying this album. I am also a huge TP fan but I'm afraid I am less than impressed by what I have heard. Teddy's vocals are indeed "later" performances. I have the original cd which has solo re-recordings of his classic material and it is a stinker in my humble opinion. I can see where you are coming from when you say you are glad his original PIR recordings were not used. Teddy at his peak was an awesome sound and he would have left most of his duet partners lagging behind in the vocal stakes, but I find these later recordings very sad. It is heartbreaking to hear the great man struggling to hold his notes due to his obvious breathing problems. In my opinion it is a cheap, tawdry cash in but as I said earlier I respect your opinion and only wish I could appreciate it the way you obviously can. What we can agree on is that TP was one of the all time great male vocalists. May he R.I.P.

OMG! Nothing prepared me for what happened at 2:04. I'm in shock!

The ghost of Teddy appeared?