[REMOVE ADS]

1965: 'Ready/Steady/Go!' - MARTHA/ROZ/BETTY - LIVE! & At Their Best: NOWHERE TO RUN

Had I forgotten how sensational this live performance really was? Have you? Martha was magnificent and Rosalind and Betty both absolutely terrific in voice and routine. How wonderful to hear and see them all like this.

https://youtu.be/SbBcL0ztBww

Many thanks to RJBinghamesq for this YouTube posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Had I forgotten how sensational this live performance really was? Have you? Martha was magnificent and Rosalind and Betty both absolutely terrific in voice and routine. How wonderful to hear and see them all like this.

https://youtu.be/SbBcL0ztBww

Many thanks to RJBinghamesq for this YouTube posting.
    a great clip of the best group at Motown. Thank you for gpfinding and sharing dear Methuselah.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

No matter how much I love the Supremes, and I do, this video demonstrates why Martha and the Vandellas are the queens of Motown. I love this song and they give it such soul. Just an all around rollicking, foot stomping, soul shaking performance.

They kill it..and I love how Martha doesn't smile through the song but expresses what she is singing!! Thanks M!.

So glad to hear you're all enjoying the clip. Now when I watch it, I don't want the camera to go off Martha, Rosalind, and Betty for a second to have the dancers cut in. Those dancers are fine for what they're doing--but what they're doing doesn't come close to what M&tVs are up to in this performance. You can hear it, see it, and feel it. There's even a brief moment early on in the routine when Roz and Betty turn their heads quickly to their right, perfectly in tandem. It might not seem like much but it's so unexpected and well done, the beauty of it all made me smile from ear to ear. As does the entire clip, actually. NOWHERE TO RUN is surely one of HDH's best; the routine/choreography adds a brilliant touch [[can I assume it's by Cholly Atkins?); and Martha, Roz, and Betty look so gorgeous up there on-stage. A peak performance, I'd say.

Totally agree. I was so spellbound by the moves and singing I didn't even notice the dancers!

We love Martha here in the UK. She has always had a very warm reception from her British fans since her first visit 50 years ago and we are fortunate that she continues to grace us with her regal presence as indeed she is at this moment.

I'm in the audience somewhere with a school friend, but have never managed to spot us.

Your big moment...and now seemingly gone forever.....

When it was first shown on TV, I taped it on my reel-to-reel, but it was rather spoiled halfway through by the sound of my mother frying fish.

LOLOL! [[although I bet it wasn't at all funny at the time..)

When the video recorder was introduced, it seemed like a miracle of the modern age.

I can't understand why Dave Clark does not permit the RSG programmes to be released on DVD.

There was a recent thread which had discussion about the RSG Sounds of Motown show being available on DVD. Did we decide if there is/was a legitimate issue of it on DVD and, if so, would it be playable in both US and UK?

I've only got it on UK VHS video.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

There was a recent thread which had discussion about the RSG Sounds of Motown show being available on DVD. Did we decide if there is/was a legitimate issue of it on DVD and, if so, would it be playable in both US and UK?
    It's a DVD-R and I think it must be playable everywhere : http://www.ioffer.com/i/the-sounds-o...cert-182229501

I have it on UK VHS.

144man....

Me too. Somewhere. And I'm not entirely I still have a video player....

Phil....

Thanks for the information.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas have always been at their best when live. This wonderful film from the '60s shows a classic performance, and it's a live recording too, not a lipsynch job. The link below is to an image from their recent Liverpool performance - you can see the same dynamism and charisma to-day as in their hey-day. Comparisons with The Supremes are often made, but to my mind are not relevant, since these two great all-female groups had their own highly distinctive sound and style. They had differing career arcs, but each had a major impact, and played a key role in defining the sound of classic Motown. We are indeed very lucky that we can see and hear Martha Reeves and the Vandellas live to-day, 50 years after their performance on Ready Steady Go. I hope Dave Clark will relent soon, and allow a DVD release of the complete Motown Special.

http://www.missmarthareeves.com/id5.html

I don't do the comparison thing, I liked all of the girl groups at Motown but Martha's group
    had a special place in my heart and head, they were the first ones I ever owned an album by. That is until my careless kid sister broke the damn thing and decades later I still haven't
    quite forgiven her. Any live footage of them from back in the day is a welcome sight to me
    and they sure were workin' on this one. I fantasize I'll see Martha singing, hell, I'll take
    lip-syncing Mobile Lil one day. I was crazy about that track!...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    This wonderful film from the '60s shows a classic performance, and it's a live recording too, not a lipsynch job. ]
    The whole show was live. Dusty's role was essential in making Motown artists known all over England, after an half-empty attendance tour. Mary Wilson called it "the ghost tour" !

During this show Martha and Dusty performed a great duo on "Whishin' And Hopin'" :

Last edited by phil; 08-08-2015 at 02:54 PM.

I also love the Tempts performance of "It's Growing" from this same show.
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 08-08-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling