[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Guys....Singing Gals' Songs

I've genuinely appreciated the discussion on Motown Gals Covering Motown Gals.....just for fun, something that's a little bit rarer: Motown Ladies tunes, sung by the guys!

Frankly, I know, it's probably rare or unlikely the Temptations or Four Tops ever did or willingly did "Baby Love", but then again, I don't that yet, since I don't have all their albums yet!

But, if done right, for instance, I believe the Originals' "Keep Me" makes the potent superior over Liz Lands':

My favorite is a toss up between The Tempts doing "I'm Ready for Love" and the Miracles doing "My World is Empty Without You [[Babe)"

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    My favorite is a toss up between The Tempts doing "I'm Ready for Love" and the Miracles doing "My World is Empty Without You [[Babe)"
    Stevie singing DRATS I hear a symphony-Are you sure love is the name-My world is empty ,cheers

RossHolloway Guest
    The Temps doing Lonely, Lonely Man Am I.

Come See About Me - Jr Walker All Stars

Love Hangover - Jr Walker & All Stars

I'm not sure if this was a demo or they actually thought a guy could sing this, but here's Michael Jackson [[Jackson 5) singing the Supremes' "He's My Sunny Boy." Lyrically this is a girl's song and it's hard to arrange it for a guy to sing. This version is all over the place and doesn't make sense.

I just love Marvin Gaye's slightly more exaggeratedly feminine, yet still distinctly Marvin Gaye, style of the Marvelettes' "Forever"

Last edited by Ngroove; 08-03-2015 at 03:36 PM.

The isleys nice version of[i hear a symphony]

I know this is kinda cheating, but when the Temps traded off each other's songs with DRATS on Ed Sullivan, it left me wanting more. especially when David sang Stop! In the Name of Love.

David's singin always makes you want more.

This:

Charlene's "I've Never Been to Me" was also recorded by the Temptations, though some people say the Tempts' version was recorded first.

RossHolloway Guest
    The Isley Bros also do a great version of Nowhere to Run.

I thought Junior Walker did a great version of The VELVELETTES song These Things Will Keep Me Lovin' You

How about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4ZBh65zwA

Junior Walker singing Love Hangover

Between 1970 and 1975, The Jackson 5 recorded several songs, which were included on their releases:

"I Hear a Symphony" - The Supremes; 1970
    "Honey Chile" - Martha Reeves atV; 1970
    "Touch" - The Supremes; 1973
    "Reflections" - DRATS; 1973
    "You Need to Love Like I Do [[Don't You) - Gladys Knight atP; 1973
    "Forever Came Today" - DRATS; 1975

honest man Guest
    4 Tops OLD love[lets try again-Mary Wells, Tears in vain STEVIEvDRATS

honest man Guest
    4tops v Vandellas Darling i hum our song

honest man Guest
    Helpless kim v 4 tops Vandellas v 4 tops Loving you is sweeter ...

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    I've genuinely appreciated the discussion on Motown Gals Covering Motown Gals.....just for fun, something that's a little bit rarer: Motown Ladies tunes, sung by the guys!

Frankly, I know, it's probably rare or unlikely the Temptations or Four Tops ever did or willingly did "Baby Love", but then again, I don't that yet, since I don't have all their albums yet!

But, if done right, for instance, I believe the Originals' "Keep Me" makes the potent superior over Liz Lands':
    i love Originals version but reckon Liz lands with the Temptations on background is better anyway 3 more Temptations v Mary wells you beat me to punch -Way over there Edwin Starr v Mary Wells 4 Tops v Elgins Stay in my lonely arms

honest man Guest
    Stevie v Vandellas contract on love Isleys v DRATS Who could ever doubt my love Bobby and Vancouvers v Chris Clark day by day or never,Bobby and Vancouvers v DRATS hOW LONG HAS EVENING TRAIN-DOES YOUR MAMA KNOW..

The Dynamic Superiors' "Nowhere To Run"

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles recorded The Marvelettes' "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" as well as DRATS "The Composer".
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-07-2015 at 11:13 AM.

One of my favorites [[Males sing Female Songs) is the Four Tops' version of "Ready for Love" from their Magic LP. The first verse begins rather mediocre, however, when Levi does the 2nd verse, he takes it to a "whole nuva
    level"! Here is the only youtube version I could find [[you have to fast forward to the 2nd song).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81ZIF_tn78

Also, I also liked the Four Tops' version of Diana's "Remember Me." I think it was from the same album.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles recorded The Marvelettes' "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" as well as DRATS "The Composer".
    I loved those covers. I went through a period of constantly playing Smokey's version of The Composer.

I've always liked The Isley Bros.' version of WHO COULD EVER DOUBT MY LOVE. But I love the version by The Supremes.

I'd really like to know the story behind THIS OLD HEART OF MINE [[IS WEAK FOR YOU). Was it actually written for The Supremes or was it simply that they were given first crack at it due to their immense popularity? The Supremes' version seems so lacking, both vocally and instrumentally. It all sounds so tinny and unfinished--which perhaps it was; maybe it was merely not revisited or truly finalized once The Isley Bros. stepped up to the microphones. Plus the orchestration for The Isley Bros. can't be beat. Interesting that it would go on to be thought by some [[me, too) to perhaps be the quintessential example of the Motown Sound.