[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gotcha. He gets personally trolled more than anybody around here and I don't want to see another thread devolve into name calling and seventh grade BS.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Who owns the name?
    Jody does.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Also there is no record of Dick Griffey, Carolyn Griffey, or Solar records ever owning the name Shalamar.
    I know. If Dick Griffey/Solar [[or Universal now?) owned the name, you'd think they tell Jody, Howard and Jeffrey not to use it.

Also, Shalamar didn't start off with Howard. Jody and Jeffrey were the original members. Gary Mumford was the first lead vocalist [[1976-77) and Gerald Brown was the second [[1977-79) before Howard joined after Gerald left due to royalty disputes with Dick over his original contract when he was with the Soul Train Gang. Also Shalamar was "put together", I don't think they had a valid contract and they were working on trying to get one when Dick abruptly kicked Gerald out of the group [[he never quit the group).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    There's a documentary about the Sugar Hill Gang called "I Want My Name Back". It shows how Sugar Hill Records owned the name and copyrights to all of the group's records. Consequently, only one of the original three rappers toured with the act until his death recently. The other two have been sued silly by the label's owner and can't even perform records that they wrote on film. The others who toured as the act consisted of the label owner and one of his friends.
    Yeah I remember seeing the trailer. I wonder if the video has been posted on YouTube. Wonder Mike and Master Gee has been fighting to get their name back for years. Big Bank Hank died, I think, two years after the documentary aired.