[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Fatback Band!

Fatback Band!

Episode 2 of What ch'all know bout that Thursday is up. This weeks subject, the Fatback band.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kitt/wh...fatback-band-1

A bit of a boob in there jboy88 as their debut single was called "Street Dance" rather than "Street Band" but otherwise it was a very interesting article with fascinating snippets of info about their early years.

It's peculiar that they never had one Billboard Hot-100 hit [[as mentioned in the article) as here in Merry Olde England they were very popular and had two Top 10 Pop hits ... "Spanish Hustle" in 1976 [[as mentioned in the article) and "I Found Lovin'" which got into the lower reaches of the charts in 1984 before becoming a must-play item just about everywhere and reaching #7 upon reissue in 1987 after a remake started shooting up the charts.

This is one of theirs from 1983 that I thought should have been a lot bigger than it was ...

Roger

Fatback was also behind one of the first mainstream hip-hop songs released ever [["Personality Jock"). In fact it came out months before Rapper's Delight!

Thanks for pointing that out, got the titles mixed up. Street Band wasn't even a single. To be honest, My knowledge of the band wasn't very thorough. A lot of the info came courtesy of Ace.co.uk. Props to them for that parts.

"Street Band" was a track on their album "Hot Box". That's the album that had "Backstrokin'" and "Money [[Got To Get My Hands On Some)". It's the track that's playing in the background at the outset of jboy88's podcast. But I was a fan of the Fatback Band and it's later iteration, Fatback. They never put out a consistent album, but there were a couple of tracks that I enjoyed that never were released.

My friends in high school would correctly remember "King Tim III [[Personality Jock)" as the first rap song to make it to the radio. They'd also remember "I Like The Girls" as one of the mainstays of our sophomore year soundtrack. I'll remember the band as good, but not nearly great. I appreciate the information presented. Good job.

The Fatback Band's "I Like The Girls" was a huge party record in the summer of '78.

​The Bronx , NYC....1972...Ninja Walk , Goin to see my baby and Street Dance were the DJ Essentials. Those were on the Perception label. Played on WWRL 1600 am radio.