[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Rob... Louvain is not a BAD singer, she's mediocre with MOMENTS of greatness. In the right song, when she's singing at the top of her range, she's good. But unlike some people like to think, Motown's records were not hits BECAUSE of the Andantes, they were hits in spite of them. But like I said... there were exceptions, "Love Child", and "Bernadette" being the two obvious examples. But delicious mashed potatoes next to a tough, shoe-leather steak does not a good meal make. And why did some producers like to use them? Because they could knock the work out quickly, and then said producers could wrap it up and go home to their families. I go back to the simple fact that NOBODY in the music business was grappling to use them after 1972. Theyv'e never won critical acclaim for their sound in the background like others, such as Cissy Houston, Sunny and Sue, or the fabulous performances of Doris Troy on Dark Side Of The Moon.
    I laugh all the time when people make this big-assed deal about the Andantes and what records they may or may not have been on when I know that Florence, Mary and Diane were used as backup on other artists records such as "Can I Get A Witness", "Wonderful One" ,etc by Marvin Gaye. "Mickey's Monkey" by Smokey & the Miracles, several Mary Wells recordings and on and on. LOL! Why did they use the Supremes? Because they were good and they were AVAILABLE.......... !

uptight Guest
    OMG, you mean they didn't use the real Andantes on those MG tracks?!!! It's the Vandellas and those darned Supremes? Gasp! I'll bet the Andantes were upset about this. [[Just kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    OMG, you mean they didn't use the real Andantes on those MG tracks?!!! It's the Vandellas and those darned Supremes? Gasp! I'll bet the Andantes were upset about this. [[Just kidding).
    Sho nuff! You betta know it! LOL!!

You mean those Mary and Flo girls are on records? Wow and I heard they sang on Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett and Mable John records-and that gal Diana too. Goodness gracious I guess those Andantes were too busy!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    You mean those Mary and Flo girls are on records? Wow and I heard they sang on Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett and Mable John records-and that gal Diana too. Goodness gracious I guess those Andantes were too busy!
    Add John Lee Hooker and yep even the Temptations' "Not Now I'll Tell You Later". Heck, Florence is heard VERY prominently on "Can I Get A Witness" that DJ's use to comment on that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I laugh all the time when people make this big-assed deal about the Andantes and what records they may or may not have been on when I know that Florence, Mary and Diane were used as backup on other artists records such as "Can I Get A Witness", "Wonderful One" ,etc by Marvin Gaye. "Mickey's Monkey" by Smokey & the Miracles, several Mary Wells recordings and on and on. LOL! Why did they use the Supremes? Because they were good and they were AVAILABLE.......... !
    So true. That's one thing that made the Supremes so big, they had no weak links in their chain, vocally. But you look at who people like Dusty chose to sing background on HER records.. Kiki Dee, Madeline Bell, Lesley Duncan, Maggie Stredder.. people who could inject real soul and inspiration into a song. I cited Doris Troy earlier, just listen to her at around 2:46, and that is what I call REAL background singing [[Lesley Duncan was singing with her here, as well)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bgxfxchkQ

But in the end.... what makes a hit record? It's all about the HOOK, baby... it's ALL ABOUT THE HOOK.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 12-13-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Now Marv dont go all crazy now--why would all those people want those Supremes on their records singing distinctive, superb harmony back there--and how come Miss Mary and Miss Flo were so available when we know that they and that Miss Cindy were always so busy they never wanted to come to recording sessions???

Now Marv dont go all crazy now--why would all those people want those Supremes on their records singing distinctive, superb harmony back there--and how come Miss Mary and Miss Flo were so available when we know that they and that Miss Cindy were always so busy they never wanted to come to recording sessions???
    Mary and Florence were singers, professionals. They were on all the important records. Just listen to
    this and tell me it would have been the same without them.

Not to worry because I know the deal. They were wanted because they were GOOD! Holland, Dozier and Holland knew it and so did all the Funk Brothers, Berry Gordy and the listening public!

Well my my Marv I think you are onto something! Maybe they were even better that those And antes!!

Well my my Marv I think you are onto something! Maybe they were even better that those And antes!!

In the immortal words of Ms. Jean Terrell..........."The WHO?!" LOL!!!!

For all you Andantes fans out there. I am just kidding. I know who they were.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    oh god now the Spinners were on the Christmas album with the Andantes! Flo and Mary were not enough they could have doubletracked them! Flos voice was in fine form at this time she didnt go down to a contralto like she did in the 70s and we have all heard O Holy Night and Silent Night.. Surely Mary and Flo didnt need the Andantes and if they did why the Spinners?
    Thank you kindly - I believe Flo and Mary recorded this album and may have had a little "help", but why does that matter now. Just enjoy a great seasonal album from yesteryear,

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Thank you kindly - I believe Flo and Mary recorded this album and may have had a little "help", but why does that matter now. Just enjoy a great seasonal album from yesteryear,
    Welcome back, how did you do on your final exams?

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Welcome back, how did you do on your final exams?
    Thanks for asking - I did pretty well - Have a Happy Holiday.

You are going to school now, Tony?

Also, a friend asked me if it is possible in the Children's Christmas Song that Berry,Joy, Terry and Chico are also played by the Andantes!

He's more of a lurker than a poster and thought the suggestion would send someone or other into a fit or convulsions.

topdiva1 Guest
    The Supremes Christmas album remains a classic - REGARDLESS.

Who are the andantes?

Background singers on contract to Motown. They sang as Supremes behind Diana Ross, as Vandellas behind Martha Reeves and as Marvelettes. They sang on most of the Christmas album behind Diana Ross. The did alot of backgrounds for the Four Tops.

uptight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    You are going to school now, Tony?

Also, a friend asked me if it is possible in the Children's Christmas Song that Berry,Joy, Terry and Chico are also played by the Andantes!

He's more of a lurker than a poster and thought the suggestion would send someone or other into a fit or convulsions.
    Funny your friend would ask this, Rob. I have always wondered if the "children" were played by The Andantes. They sound like adults pretending to be children, but I wouldn't know what BG's oldest children or Ross' brother sounded like as singers. I would say, yes, it is possible that the Andantes could have even filled in for the children on this record. LOL
    Last edited by uptight; 12-21-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Background singers on contract to Motown. They sang as Supremes behind Diana Ross, as Vandellas behind Martha Reeves and as Marvelettes. They sang on most of the Christmas album behind Diana Ross. The did alot of backgrounds for the Four Tops.
    Thank you jobeterob. I remember hearing about them now. I had just forgotten. You have been very kind to me here and I appreciate it very much.

That's nice of you to say. Most people are pretty good natured generally but it is an open forum and sometimes we can be a little rowdy; but we are usually good people with much knowledge. I'm sure you'll be made welcome.

smark21 Guest
    The Andantes impersonated more people than Rich Little ever did.

topdiva1 Guest
    The Supremes Christmas album - regardless of who is or is not on background - is a GREAT seasonal offering from a once legendary company.

I am sure the album is enjoyed buy thousands at this time of the year, without the tiresome critics views, on unimportant information.

Gordy, was no fool, and a master of deception, selling us product year after year - and keeping us blind to the real performers. I say just enjoy the music and the genius.

[

I've deliberately avoided The Supremes' Christmas album this year. Still, I've heard a few songs on the radio and my station plays one or two
    tracks. And thankfully- for me- this will end on Sunday.