[REMOVE ADS]

Tiny Tim introduces Chairmen Of The Board

Harrison sings Hard To Handle

Harrison was the only Canadian member and his accent shines through here LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Harrison was the only Canadian member and his accent shines through here LOL!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  21.1 KB
    He doesn't sound Canadian to me in the slightest. But, he doesn't sound like a Michigander, either. He clearly has a weird accent. Maybe he was an immigrant to Canada as a teenager? Is he from Ontario [[Toronto-Hamilton Metro Area?) They have a lot of West Indian immigrants [[but I don't hear that in his accent).

Maybe he just has a false "singing accent" like Cher? You wouldn't have even a remote clue of even what continent [[or even what PLANET) she comes from, based on her accent using English language, when she sings). No one else in The World talks like THAT. No one would have a clue that she grew up in the San Joaquin Valley of Central California.

Same with this singer [[Harrison). There is no place where people enunciate in English like he did when singing. I lived in Canada from 1946-63, and for at least a few months a year every year since, and never heard anyone speak like that. I'm pretty good with accents, and can usually tell from which province people come. He must have a mixed accent to start, and then be working hard to tone it down, and, possibly adapt it to an "American Soul singing accent", like many Brit singers do.

But, I do agree with you that you can clearly hear that he's NOT American from the way he sang.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    He doesn't sound Canadian to me in the slightest. But, he doesn't sound like a Michigander, either. He clearly has a weird accent. Maybe he was an immigrant to Canada as a teenager? Is he from Ontario [[Toronto-Hamilton Metro Area?) They have a lot of West Indian immigrants [[but I don't hear that in his accent).
    Well Robb, having been born and raised in England the subtle differences between various North American accents are often lost on me, but it seems you are spot on here, as according to Harrison Kennedy's website he is from Hamilton, and according to various biographies he was born there as well ...

http://harrisonkennedy.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Maybe he just has a false "singing accent" like Cher? You wouldn't have even a remote clue of even what continent [[or even what PLANET) she comes from, based on her accent using English language, when she sings). No one else in The World talks like THAT. No one would have a clue that she grew up in the San Joaquin Valley of Central California.

Same with this singer [[Harrison). There is no place where people enunciate in English like he did when singing. I lived in Canada from 1946-63, and for at least a few months a year every year since, and never heard anyone speak like that. I'm pretty good with accents, and can usually tell from which province people come. He must have a mixed accent to start, and then be working hard to tone it down, and, possibly adapt it to an "American Soul singing accent", like many Brit singers do.
    Yes, British singers do have a tendency to try to "sound American"!! .. one of the best examples I can think of this is LISA STANSFIELD ... when she sings it sounds to me that she could be from Chicago or Cleveland [[and she sounds very good at doing it), but when she speaks she is pure Rochdale, Lancashire [[and sounds very strange to anyone who is from further than twenty miles from the place). Funnily I find it easier to understand Miss Stansfield when she sings!!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Funnily I find it easier to understand Miss Stansfield when she sings!!

Roger
    Me too...but I guess it works both ways. I'm sure she would have a job understanding my cockney accent.