[REMOVE ADS]

A Tribute To ASHFORD & SIMPSON

Sorry if this has been discussed but I just happen to rediscover this CD in my collection and started to play it again. There are some real GEMS here that I had overlooked or forgotten. " Anit Nothing Like The Real Thing" sung by Marv Johnson and Carolyn Gill. " I Cant' Give Back The Love I Feel For You" by Syreeta in dance fever torch sound.

Here is the rest of the track listing:
    1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Scherrie Payne
    2. You're All I Need To Get By - Martha Reeves and G.C. Cameron
    3. The Boss - The Andantes
    4. Surrender - Bettye Lavette
    5. Remember Me - Pat Lewis
    6. Some Things You Never Get Used To - Frances Nero
    7. I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You - Syreeta
    8. I Wouldn't Change The Man - Blinky
    9. Reach Out And touch Somebody's Hand - Louvain Demps
    10. Your Precious Love - Gino Parks and Frances Nero
    11. No One Gets The prize - Earl Van Dyke
    12. You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin-Frankie Gaye and Kim Weston
    13. Didn't You know You Had To Cry Sometimes - Frances Nero
    14. Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing-Marv Johnson and Carolyn Gil

Name:  51dlmMOD3DL.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  48.9 KB

Captainjames, those, I believe, are Ian Levine remakes/productions. I don't have this particular collection, but I've got pretty much everything that's on it. They'll never replace the Motown originals, of course, but a lot of those remakes were fun just the same. I like Ian Lavine's style, especially on his non-Motown artists [[Miguel Brown, etc.)

Ian Levine's productions are very much hit and miss but this is a decent enough if hardly essential collection.

Although they were not the original artists singing to Ashford and Simpson, I found it pleasant to the ear.

All credit to Ian Levine for pursuing his vision and dream.

However, if the computerised instrumental tracks of the Motorcity productions, particularly the percussive/drum sounds [[which, to be fair, were pretty typical of their time), could have been given far more attention to detail - as some of the remixes indeed were - the finished result would have showcased all those glorious voices to far more impressive effect.

Oh, to have the chance to remove the vocals from those recordings, many from artists no longer with us, and start again.....

Being nuts about anything Ashford and Simpson, or being nuts and liking Ashford and Simpson, I was not aware of this. While I was not a fan of the Motor City output when it came out, this could change my mind hopefully.

Motown4ever
    dim the lights, pour yourself a glass of wine, sit back and enjoy.