[REMOVE ADS]

honest man Guest

what's left for anthologies.

Hello people i think i need some new motown anthologies,have they finished.thought i would add some that need to be released on cd,1 spinners 2 originals3monitors4fantastic 4 I reckon all the other motown acts have been well represented over the last 25 years, but these 4 acts are the last to be released on cd,anybody think of anymore, cheers.

5 Eddie Holland
    6 Funk Brothers
    7 Marv Johnson

8 Funk Brothers
    9 Syreeta

Shorty Long has not been well represented over the last 25 years--in fact, he's been criminally under represented. Neither of his two albums has been released on CD. These albums, together with various single sides that were not on the albums, plus the unreleased tracks that have shown up on the Cellarful anthologies, would make for a great anthology. Edwin Starr is another candidate for an anthology. Also, I think Blinky should be considered.

honest man Guest
    nothing but soul i thought about shorty after i posted, i know we had essential collection on him a few years ago. but you are right, also edwin i thought all his albums had been issued including blinky duet, also blinky in pipeline as well as ivy jo hunter. although who you mention would be brilliant lost and found along with gladys and pips. but there another story. my ultimate wish cd would be jj barnes motowm, alas that is only a wish, cheers anyway

Stevie Wonder.

Soulster..Your joking right?..Paulo xxx

MAYBE your thinking of Eivets Rednow....Both control freaks.

I have a great Undsputed Truth Anthology on French Tamla Motown. Same art layout as the others. Its a 2 album set with the hits, should have been hits, and great album only cuts. Gatefold sleeve has pics from all their albums. Dont know if this was ever issued outside France. I just happened to pick it up on a visit to see my late fathers family in Pau southwest France many years ago...,,.Paulo XXX

How about:

Hattie Littles
    Carolyn Crawford
    Marv Johnson
    Lewis Sisters
    Shorty Long

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Soulster..Your joking right?..Paulo xxx
    No. What makes you think that I am? Sure, his 60s stuff is out there, but we still don't have a comprehensive anthology of all of his singles from beginning to end. And, for the 70s, there are a lot of things missing. And, for the things that are there, the correct single versions are not there. iTunes has a set, but it's still incomplete, and is only available as lossy downloads.

So, again: Stevie Wonder!

i wouldnt bother to poor old chap right now 'till we've seen tcms vol 12.and then would we see quality recordings we were discussing on another thread?

aswell as some of the above i'd like to see the following..
    devastating affair
    blackberries
    yvonne fair
    the originals

I love the undermentioned but these artists did not record enough at Motown to warrant an anthology which is usually 40 - 50 tracks!

devastating affair
    blackberries
    yvonne fair

With all her many fans out there, I can't believe no one has yet mentioned Tata Vega as being worthy of the Anthology treatment. As for the ones who have been mentioned, the one I would agree with the most would be Edwin Starr. Even though I have all his albums on CD one way or the other, having them all in one comprehensive collection would be neat.

High Inergy

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    High Inergy
    Good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I love the undermentioned but these artists did not record enough at Motown to warrant an anthology which is usually 40 - 50 tracks!

devastating affair
    blackberries
    yvonne fair
    that we know of.you might be right on the normal amount required.but an anthology is just that.and it would/should be a complete collection of any featured artist regardless of quantity.thats my idea of an anthology anyway.my ideal collection would be for each and every artist to have their own anthology of their time at motown.i can dream cant i?
    Last edited by tamla617; 11-29-2010 at 11:15 AM.

I know I'll get boo-ed here too, but I think a release of Mary Wilson's solo LP is in order. They could add the 4 Gus tracks and make it a deluxe edition. I also think Scherrie and Susaye's "Partners" LP should be given a CD treatment. I wonder if there are any outtakes from those recording sessions? Maybe Miss Susaye can answer that?

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    that we know of.you might be right on the normal amount required.but an anthology is just that.and it would/should be a complete collection of any featured artist regardless of quantity.thats my idea of an anthology anyway.my ideal collection would be for each and every artist to have their own anthology of their time at motown.i can dream cant i?
    Yvonne is rumored to have an unreleased album in the vault to add to the wonderful 'The Bitch Is Black'. The Blackberries have a known album in the vaults and DA could have just enough tracks to make one up. As you say it's a nice dream but not likely to be fulfilled by 'Hip-O. Perhaps the likes of Reel, Cherry Red, Soul Music or ACE may take a chance.

i'm pretty sure we're going to see the blackberries' album sometime soon rather than never,after exposure on com4.
    i also think D.A.will get a look in too,but not for a while.
    that was interesting about yvonne fair copley.but i'm not suprised tho' as not all tracks recorded by any motown acts/artists didnt make it out of the vaults as the com series proves.

Have mentioned this a few times recently, it would be nice in my opinion, if anthologies were available for;
    The Monitors
    The Fantastic Four
    along with all the others mentioned in other posts.

Tata Vega is well overdue for some sort of collection, as is The Monitors. Also Luther Allison is revered in Blues circles as being one of the BEST in that genre. He had three long players on Gordy that sold fairly well. His Bad News Is Coming L.P. is the only one I have, and is known as a Blues masterpiece. Enough for an Anthology. Big market for Blues in the U.K..Paulo XXXX

How about a Thelma Houston Anthology? It would also be great to have all The Originals albums on one set!

RossHolloway Guest
    The Contours.

I would prefer to open up the focus of an Anthology from an artist to a producer as in Anthology's related to Henry Cosby, Ivy Jo Hunter, Staunton-Walker etc.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I would prefer to open up the focus of an Anthology from an artist to a producer as in Anthology's related to Henry Cosby, Ivy Jo Hunter, Staunton-Walker etc.
    Doing that would result in excellent CDs, but I fear the market is too small for that now.

The Compelte Stevie Wonder" on iTunes.

Soulster:

I downloaded "The Complete Stevie Wonder" when it first came out. Although, I already owned a great number of the his albums and 45's but it was cheaper to just purchase this collection to get what I didn't have than to purchase them separately. This collection included every LP [[including unreleased) up to "Time for Love" that Stevie recorded along with rare hard-to-find songs, songs recorded in several different languages, as well as number remixes of a lot of his music. In all there are well over 600 cuts. Being the Stevie Wonder fan that I am, it was well worth it for me to have this collection.

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    Soulster:

I downloaded "The Complete Stevie Wonder" when it first came out. Although, I already owned a great number of the his albums and 45's but it was cheaper to just purchase this collection to get what I didn't have than to purchase them separately. This collection included every LP [[including unreleased) up to "Time for Love" that Stevie recorded along with rare hard-to-find songs, songs recorded in several different languages, as well as number remixes of a lot of his music. In all there are well over 600 cuts. Being the Stevie Wonder fan that I am, it was well worth it for me to have this collection.
    Yeah, and like I noted in an earlier post, it's still not complete. It's missing quite a few single edits, particularly from the 70s and 80s, and it's in a lossy format.

i just checked the price of that stevie complete download...189.99 bucks in U.S. or in rip off britain 159.99 gbp.
    i wonder what the excuse is for us being charged more over here,i wonder why there is an illegal download problem.i also wonder why its not high quality like soulster says too.

Lesley Gore - Someplace Else Now
    Three Ounces Of Love

My list would include all of the LPs by the following:
    Willie Hutch
    Tata Vega
    Jr. Walker [[especially the 1970's)
    The Miracles [['70s)
    Rare Earth [["Midnight Lady" through "Grand Slam")
    Temptations [[late '70s and '80s)

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    ...189.99 bucks in U.S. or in rip off britain 159.99 gbp.
    i wonder what the excuse is for us being charged more over here...
    What's the rate of exchange?

About $1.60 give or take meaning that this set should be around £120.00. But I'm afraid things aren't that clear cut here in Rip-Off Britain.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  21.1 KB
    Monitors
    Fantastic Four
    Originals
    Eddie Holland
    Hattie Littles
    Linda Griner
    Carolyn Crawford
    Marv Johnson
    Contours
    Dennis Edwards
    Rita Wright/Syreeta
    Shorty Long
    Lewis Sisters
    Shorty Long
    Patrice Holloway [[are there more than 9-10 songs?)

I will continue to beat the drum for anthology sets [[or similar) on The Monitors and the Fantastic Four in the first instance. Additionally, sets by The Spinners, The Contours, and The Originals all spring to mind as must-haves. Many individual artists - Eddie Holland, Marv Johnson, to name but two, would also be very worthwhile and welcome. However, given the current economic gloom, I doubt if many [[any?) will come to fruition in the foreseeable future. Now if someone wants to suprise me along the lines of the news from Ace Records re the forthcoming Contours release, I will be more than happy.

Big-Mac

Try beating two drums like they did at Motown!

Views: 352

I can't Believe they haven't yet done The Spinners! That, and The Monitors are musts. Have the done an all-inclusive one for The Originals?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 352

I can't Believe they haven't yet done The Spinners!
    If you forget about Motown for a second: Atlantic records released an excellent comp almost two decades ago, and it can still be found. It contains both Motown and Atlantic-era material, and the sound quality is the best you'll ever find.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Kind-Love-...4657055&sr=1-1

The Spinners just didn't have much material at Motown to issue an anthology for just that label. That is why Atlantic was able to do it.

honest man Guest
    the spinners had 2 albums on motown also 5-6 unissued songs have appeared on different compilations,that would warrant a cd alone,maybe throw in some tri phi,brilliant ,also forgot to mention in earlier thread my dream motown anthology JJ Barnes. cheers.

One must remember that record companies must add material that will sell a product to the widest audience possible, while throwing the collectors a bone or two. That's just the way it works. You can't create a collection of a bunch of obscure material that may not sell.

The folks on this forum might buy such a collection of obscure material, but the average person will look at it and not buy it because they will not recognize a single thing on it.

I agree with many of you about the Monitors, I really want a anthology from them. .

Temptations [[late '70s and '80s)
    I hope altlantic releases thier songs from thier atlantic tenure.

often overlooked when such anthologies are discussed, but I think it's also time for one on the San Remo Strings - two albums worth of material, and there must be some unreleased stuff as well.

And i'd also like to see one on the Reflections.

San Remo Strings......Good choice, I would support that one.

The Reflections...presumably their Golden World recordings......another good suggestion but is it possible... .

Thelma Houston is a completely obvious choice to me! Not only did she have a few excellent Mowest/Motown albums [[and singles), but she had a major, classic hit [["Don't Leave Me This Way") as well as a Grammy. Also, she is still performing and has a built-in buying audience.

Thelma Houston's a great idea if they can include the excellent material she did for various other labels, like ABC/Dunhill.

Thelma...yes please...Paulo xxxx

Red face

How about an Anthology of all those obscure one off acts. Leslie uggums, Devastating Affair,Caston & Majors, Matrix, Diana Ross etc...Sorry. just avin a laff .Paulo xxxx