[REMOVE ADS]

Previously unreleased Chic track to be released

I don't like the instrumental because it's basically a mashup to me, but I will buy this album!

That sounds like a sample from Got to Love Somebody by Sister Sledge.

If so, would Sister Sledge get any royalties from the track, or just the writers, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    It clearly is.

If so, would Sister Sledge get any royalties from the track,...
    No, because their voices don't appear on the track in question. Remember, Chic recorded that instrumental track, and Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers wrote it. All Sister Sledge did was add the vocals to the original song, which, BTW, was originally meant for a Chic album. The song belongs to Nile, and Bernard's estate.
    Last edited by soulster; 03-20-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    You're right....Nile talks about that in an interview that I read earlier today but now I can't find the link.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It clearly is.

No, because their voices don't appear on the track in question. Remember, Chic recorded that instrumental track, and Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers wrote it. All Sister Sledge did was add the vocals to the original song, which, BTW, was originally meant for a Chic album. The song belongs to Nile, and Bernard's estate.
    Thanks for the info Souster.

It sure does sound like "Got To Love Somebody", but, man, the instrumentation on this new version – especially the bass – is HOTTER than HADES! Can’t wait to get my copy!

I take it this is a new track that sample Got to Love Somebody, and not an old Chic song they had in he vaults, that they mixed with music from the Sister Sedge track?

Either way, it's a good song, in my opinion, and better than I'd have expected from a new Chic release?

I think that their association with disco [[dance music) is the nemesis of why they aren't given a fair shot at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.
    As far as most hardcore music fans already know, their Rock cred", has come from having produced/with David Bowie, Deborah Harry, Duran Duran, Mick Jagger through Daft Punk, [[who has an association with dance music but more of the electronic end which is somehow a step distance from club, dance music as most people remember).
    Besides, after maybe the first decade, the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame nominees since the standard [[5) I believe it is, forces choices of acts with questionable qualifications as "rock". I think the potential nominees should be reduced to 1-3 years, expanding the way the Academy Awards do on strong years, and reduce on lesser years to even [[1) nominee.
    The first 25 years of rock music reflected the number of impactful artist[[s) who would have such a profound effect on music in general. Therefore, those early years included do wop-slanted acts to such strange additions as ABBA. It helped classify the wide range of acts and sounds that changed the world, so, for instance, Motown having well over 10 acts inducted helped to establish "The Motown Sound" as its own genre in general.

The track does sound retro, but, in a good way. The subtle harmonies of the female singers are more like "final touches" with Nile, Bernard and Tony shining as the nucleus of Chic.