[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes Havin' A Party

Has anyone really listened to the background vocals of this song. I was listening to it on Spotify since it has been recently remastered and it almost doesn't sound like Mary and Florence in the background? Can anyone confirm this?

honest man Guest
    hmm HERE WE GO THE ANDANTES LOL

When and where was "We Remember Sam Cooke" CD recently remastered?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    When and where was "We Remember Sam Cooke" CD recently remastered?
    Well, it wasn't remastered on CD, but remastered for iTunes/Spotify within the last week.

supremester Guest
    I believe it has been remastered for an ill-fated reissue idea that I'm sure will happen.......one day - but I didn't know they were using them anywhere yet. I've always assumed Sam Cooke was done in LA as it certainly has that feel and those hot strings were definitely not done in Detroit. I've not heard it on Spotify, but clearly Same Cooke is not a Mary & Flo showcase. I don't even think it's The Andantes on some cuts. I assume The Andanates/ and "others" are on the preponderance of DMF/JMC/JML tracks, and most of the DMC tracks - all for various reasons. I think they used Cindy sparingly as her voice wasn't compelling and Mary either over powered her so much it wasn't usable or Mary had to soften so much that they often sounded ineffective. I don't think it was ever a lack of talent - just producer's preference. There was a thread here that confirmed Flo & Mary are not on the Stop! 45, but are on the stereo mix. The bgs on Sam Cooke were not written or mixed to be much of the finished product, so maybe they felt it didn't matter. The group was every busy at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I believe it has been remastered for an ill-fated reissue idea that I'm sure will happen.......one day - but I didn't know they were using them anywhere yet.
    I'm confirming that the mp3s are available now on iTunes.

supremester Guest
    Cool - I would love to hear it - and for the record, I really miss Mary & Flo on Sam Cooke. There's also a lot of Sing CW&P with The Andantes somewhere waiting to be revealed...

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I believe it has been remastered for an ill-fated reissue idea that I'm sure will happen.......one day - but I didn't know they were using them anywhere yet. I've always assumed Sam Cooke was done in LA as it certainly has that feel and those hot strings were definitely not done in Detroit.
    Looking at the back of the booklet in the cd case, the producers are listed as Fuqua and Davis & Gordon- the same as on the lp.
    Interestingly, '[[Ain't That) Good News' was included on the cd and not the cassette version.
    And there is a unique feature about the cd face itself. Although the album back cover lists two of the song titles as 'Wonderful World' and '[[Ain't That) Good News', the cd face lists them as '[[What A) Wonderful World' and 'Good News' .
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-08-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Looking at the back of the booklet in the cd case, the producers are listed as Fuqua and Davis & Gordon- the same as on the lp.
    Interestingly, '[[Ain't That) Good News' was included on the cd and not the cassette version.
    And there is a unique feature about the cd face itself. Although the album back cover lists two of the song titles as 'Wonderful World' and '[[Ain't That) Good News', the cd face lists them as '[[What A) Wonderful World' and 'Good News' .
    Also on the cd itself, GOOD NEWS has an asterisk listing it as a bonus track only available on cd, even though it was on the original album.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Has anyone really listened to the background vocals of this song. I was listening to it on Spotify since it has been recently remastered and it almost doesn't sound like Mary and Florence in the background? Can anyone confirm this?
    i cant confirm this but if the a's are on havin a party there they are aiding mary and florence on t track, mary and flo are on all of the tracks alone or w t a's which i barely here on any of t other tracks its clearly mary and flo. And flos lead is all mary and dianas belting out the bcg vocals. Change is gonna come has a mix of male and female voices in t mix ever so slightly.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 03-08-2015 at 10:34 PM.

If you believe WIKI there are no andantes. Wikipedia has a lot of listings with Andantes and this one doesnt. I know anyone can go in and change this but I find it interesting that no Andantes were listed on this album
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Remember_Sam_Cooke

Someone from Universal told me 10 years ago not to ask questions about which tracks had actual Supremes in the backgrounds because I might not like the answers I would get. As time goes on, everyone is beginning to understand clearly what he meant.

Definitely Mary and Flo. You can hear it for sure when they sing their "heey" backgrounds on the verses. Flo's high soprano is quite distinct.

Sounds like Mary and Florence to me, especially Florence. I think some people on here are starting to discredit Mary and Flo a little too much lately. Flo could really hit those high notes before '66 and Mary was very versatile as well.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Sounds like Mary and Florence to me, especially Florence. I think some people on here are starting to discredit Mary and Flo a little too much lately. Flo could really hit those high notes before '66 and Mary was very versatile as well.
    right on floyjoy u hit it right on t head, i dont know where all these stories come from, but i know a supremes voice from an andantes voice and those are the supremes,