[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jean Terrell...what happened?

I just watched Jean doing a star turn singing Wind Beneath My Wings on you tube. I think at her prime she could have been in the leagues of Streisand..what the heck happened? ?. .just not that interested?.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I just watched Jean doing a star turn singing Wind Beneath My Wings on you tube. I think at her prime she could have been in the leagues of Streisand..what the heck happened? ?. .just not that interested?.
    She's a Jehovah's Witness. Partly due to her beliefs, she opted not to promote the album in particular ways, limiting career advancement. She continued a career in music, obviously, with FLOS, but chose not to continue the road many musicians take in the music industry.

I just checked out the video. The quality of the video is poor but Jean's voice and interpretation of the song is great. How old is this? Could this be from the short time that she was with the FLOS?

I believe performance was after her solo album and pre flos. She had been in wild honey with freddie during this times as well I think.

I believe performance was after her solo album and pre flos. She had been in wild honey with freddie during this times as well I think.
    Yeah, you're right Luke. That show that this clip is from was in 1981 in Atlanta
    I believe.

Luke, Jean Terrell was never in the group Wild Honey.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-22-2015 at 04:22 AM.

supremester Guest
    Jean is a talented singer, but I don't see anything beyond that in her performance here - certainly nothing that would bring her to the level of Babs . Jean has very ardent fans but with the amount of exposure she had in her 3.75 years as lead singer of The Supremes, she didn't seem to attract much industry attention. Clive Davis, Neil Bogart, David Geffen all were looking for black females and didn't, to my knowledge, go to Jean. I don't think her voice is any more distinctive than a dozen other talents like Stephanie Mills, Evelyn King etc. I much prefer Jean's read on this over Bette's, but Gladys, IMHO, owns this lock, stock and barrel. To me, Jennifer Hudson could be a Streisand - and she can barely pay her bills as a singer. No one buys her records and she's not a draw live.

Many Jehovah Witnesses and religious people have successful careers.

Wasn't Michael Jackson a Jehovah Witness? I don't buy that as the central cause for Jean Terrell not having longer, stronger solo career. I think Jean Terrell is a better singer than Barbara Striesand and is definitely more versatile. I would not be foolish enough to compare Jean's greatness to artists I also love but are not on her level like an Evelyn Champagne King. IF you truly listened to their voices and the variety of music Jean's recorded, you'd be embarrassed to compare her with people like that. I rank Jean among the level of Aretha, Mahaila, Dionne, etc.

Jean as talented as she is, did not want to deal with the crap that comes along with a career in show business. She wanted to sing and sing pretty. She had a moody personality.

The point is that is why SHE chose not to go down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    The point is that is why SHE chose not to go down that road.
    No offense, but what road? What was Herb Alpert and A&M Records going to ask her to do.....strip? I really don't get it about being Jehovah Witness and recording and performing.

I don't know if this is true, but there is a rumour out there that because of Jean's faith, she never felt comfortable embracing her gay fan base. Some have said this is why she left the FLOS, as she did not want to perform at certain venues and events. It could be possible these were her feelings in the 70's as well. Although we should also recognize that feelings and people's acceptance change over time. If she ever felt this way towards her gay fans, I doubt she still has these feelings today, as she would not have come out for the 70's Anthology signing, etc.

Also, I'm sure leaving Motown did not help her. Staying with them would not have helped either, but the industry is so political...

It's a shame her A&M album didn't fair better. It remains to be one of my favourites.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-22-2015 at 01:04 PM.

I never really bought into the religion theory. Didn't Lynda also become a Jehovah Witness? Yet she's still out there performing.

Personally I think it was Jean's personality and her overall views of the recording industry. I've heard several stories about Jean not wanting to sing certain things or go out and perform because she was under-the-weather. Can you imagine how many shows would have been canceled if one of the ladies didn't want to perform because she had a headache? I think she was difficult to work with at times. Especially after how Motown stopped pushing the Supremes around 1972. It tarnished things for her, in my opinion. Jean may not have left the group had Motown continued the push and promotion as they had when she joined, but when a company begins to neglect you, your views and attitude change on everything. It's a shame because Jean was one of the most talented and gifted singers. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you're difficult and stubborn it's hard for people to want to work with you.

I heard a couple of theories on why Jean left the FLOS...
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-22-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The I never really bought into the religion theory. Didn't Lynda also become a Jehovah Witness? Yet she's still out there performing.

Personally I think it was Jean's personality and her overall views of the recording industry. I've heard several stories about Jean not wanting to sing certain things or go out and perform because she was under-the-weather. Can you imagine how many shows would have been canceled if one of the ladies didn't want to perform because she had a headache? I think she was difficult to work with at times. Especially after how Motown stopped pushing the Supremes around 1972. It tarnished things for her, in my opinion. Jean may not have left the group had Motown continued the push and promotion as they had when she joined, but when a company begins to neglect you, your views and attitude change on everything. It's a shame because Jean was one of the most talented and gifted singers. You can all the talent in the world, but if you're difficult and stubborn it's hard for people to want to work with you.

I heard a couple of theories on why Jean left the FLOS...
    There were two reasons why Jean left the FLOs and neither has been mentioned here.

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There were two reasons why Jean left the FLOs and neither has been mentioned here.
    And for the record, neither had anything to do with Lynda Laurence.

CE

Quote Originally Posted by Crystaledwards View Post

CE
    Says you.............

No offense, but what road? What was Herb Alpert and A&M Records going to ask her to do.....strip? I really don't get it about being Jehovah Witness and recording and performing.
    Don't shoot the messenger. This is just what I have read. What road? I do not know. All I know is that apparently Jean was uncomfortable doing certain things to promote her career. The music industry isn't exactly a pious one, so its easy to imagine what Jean could possibly have been asked to do that she might not have been comfortable with. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystaledwards View Post

CE
    Can the two reason be shared with us?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    CrystalEdwards just proved to me what I already knew and what I mentioned to you in another thread. That being that there are some here that cannot take the truth so I am go to decline going any further on this particular subject. Sorry.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-22-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Don't shoot the messenger. This is just what I have read. What road? I do not know. All I know is that apparently Jean was uncomfortable doing certain things to promote her career. The music industry isn't exactly a pious one, so its easy to imagine what Jean could possibly have been asked to do that she might not have been comfortable with. I don't know.

Let's just face it. Jean, I love her and her talent, but she has an attitude that does bode well in the entertainment industry. Now I don't want her calling me about what I just said! LOL!!!!

Crystaledwards Guest
    CrystalEdwards just proved to me what I already knew and what I mentioned to you in another thread. That being that there are some here that cannot take the truth so I am go to decline going any further on this particular subject. Sorry.
    Well done. As the old saying goes, a closed mouth catches no flies.

CE

Crystaledwards Guest
    Lol strip.lol.. It would be nice to hear jean s' take on all this. I never read her saying it was religion..Someone once posted here that he heard her say she wouldn't do an encore at a flos reunion concert and LL said she'd never work as a Flo again.
    The Lynda Laurence rumor you reference is simply not true. As for getting Jean Terrell's take, on all of this, well I wouldn't hold your breath.

CE

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Privately if you wish.

CE

I loved Jean's voice and on some performances, she was simply unbeatable, "5:30 Plane," "This is the Story," "Bridge Over Troubled Waters," "Up the Ladder to the Roof." But too often it seemed to me her voice lacked emotional range. It had color but didn't seem to vary much based on the song or lyrics. She seemed to sing a song like "Nathan Jones" the same as she sang "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" or "Stoned Love." While she sang on some great records, and some of them were great because of her, it seemed she needed someone like Frank Wilson or Jimmy Webb to really push her creatively speaking, to go a little over the top, which is where I think her talent was most felt.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I loved Jean's voice and on some performances, she was simply unbeatable, "5:30 Plane," "This is the Story," "Bridge Over Troubled Waters," "Up the Ladder to the Roof." But too often it seemed to me her voice lacked emotional range. It had color but didn't seem to vary much based on the song or lyrics. She seemed to sing a song like "Nathan Jones" the same as she sang "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" or "Stoned Love." While she sang on some great records, and some of them were great because of her, it seemed she needed someone like Frank Wilson or Jimmy Webb to really push her creatively speaking, to go a little over the top, which is where I think her talent was most felt.
    I would love to see Jean work with Gamble & Huff and / or Thom Bell. David Foster would have done an excellent job too with Jean in her prime.

Lol strip.lol.. It would be nice to hear jean s' take on all this. I never read her saying it was religion..Someone once posted here that he heard her say she wouldn't do an encore at a flos reunion concert and LL said she'd never work as a Flo again.
    Hehehehehehe....... I wouldn't have minded if she did!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    But too often it seemed to me her voice lacked emotional range. It had color but didn't seem to vary much based on the song or lyrics. She seemed to sing a song like "Nathan Jones" the same as she sang "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" or "Stoned Love."
    I could never put my finger on it, but this is exactly the way I feel about her voice. She is a good singer, but she pretty much sings almost every song the same way.

OK it's time to put this to rest. I'm sure one of the FLO's managers will ask that this threat be removed and rightfully so.

Jean's leaving the FLOs was strictly her own choosing as she was tired of the traveling overseas.

Lynda Laurence NEVER said that Jean would not work as a FLO again.

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Lynda Laurence NEVER said that Jean would not work as a FLO again.
    Thank you for clarifying this. The Lynda Laurence falsification was intended to deceive and divide Supremes fans and was started by a truly mendacious man.

CE

Yes and we know who that is

Sorry I'm on holiday! What does mendacious mean? Really manny?

I was just reporting what someone said here . Why so defensive? People have arguments all the time. Have no idea if it's true hence I said someone said that.

Crystaledwards Guest
    I was just reporting what someone said here . Why so defensive? People have arguments all the time. Have no idea if it's true hence I said someone said that.
    No one is referring to you sweetie. BayouMotownMan and I are discussing someone known to many here and to some former Supremes as a chronic spreader of untruth, fabricated statements and a farrago of childish wishful thinking.

CE
    Last edited by Crystaledwards; 02-22-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Grammar and additional information.

supremester Guest
    I have friends - all who "know Jean" who say Jean is anti-gay, gay friendly, tolerant and avoidant on the subject - depending on who you ask. It makes no sense to quit show business because there are gays in the audience - The Osmonds are Mormon and worked with Blacks in the 60's & 70's when The Book Of Mormon still declared blacks to be evil.

Everyone tells me, so I do believe, that Jean hated a lot of the behind-the-scenes work of the business. Her issues with Mary began in the fall of 1970 and grew and grew until she no longer spoke to her at all and, IMHO, acted very unprofessionally toward Mary onstage and off. Regardless of their differences, Jean had an obligation to the group and Motown and was not honoring it. She wasn't making anywhere near the money she expected, hated being compared to Diana Ross [[whom she felt was less talented) and was not happy about being the lead singer of a group in which she had no say whatsoever. Jean was never a Supremes fan in the 60s per se', and really expected to morph the group into a hipper, more soulful group as it's lead. Mary was having none of that, and let the fur fly. Right or wrong, Mary did what she felt best and it just didn't jive with the other Supremes - except Cindy. Jean was not thrilled with Mary wanting more and more leads in the show - especially while denying the same time to Lynda - clearly a strong vocalist in her own right.
    I never connected to Jean's voice and like a lot of Supremes fans, quit buying their albums starting with Touch. I dig her on some of the songs, but would not like to hear her for an entire show or album. With all the hits JMC had, the fast erosion of album & ticket sales shows that she was not connecting with the public on a mass level and that had nothing to do with "promotion. " If she had the goods to give Babs a run for her money, she would have. The more exposure on radio & TV that JMC had - the fewer fans they retained.
    Last edited by supremester; 02-22-2015 at 07:02 PM.

supremester Guest
    Mendacious is a falsehood or also a severe phoniness to the point of falsity. I had to look up farrago - great word - it means a weird mix of [[in case you didn't know also.) The things we learn here!
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Sorry I'm on holiday! What does mendacious mean? Really manny?

Personally, I think the Jean-led Supremes produced some of the best material. Regardless of their problems, they had a pretty solid repertoire.

I've definitely heard about Jean's supposed attitude and difficulties, but from a one-sided perspective. Everyon'es got a different reason for why she was 'difficult.' Until I hear Jean's side, I'm going to take those rumors with a very fine grain of salt.

A simple answer [[from a Jean fan) is: Lots are talented; not everyone is a star. As Bruce says in "20 Feet..." [[I paraphrase) "That 20 feet is a loooooong walk".
    BTW: has anyone ever actually seen Jean's dvd "Through The Eyes Of A Supreme"? It seems as much a cipher as Mary Ferrer's next album -

Personally, I think the Jean-led Supremes produced some of the best material. Regardless of their problems, they had a pretty solid repertoire.

I've definitely heard about Jean's supposed attitude and difficulties, but from a one-sided perspective. Everyon'es got a different reason for why she was 'difficult.' Until I hear Jean's side, I'm going to take those rumors with a very fine grain of salt.
    Smart posting Antceleb12 !

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    A simple answer [[from a Jean fan) is: Lots are talented; not everyone is a star. As Bruce says in "20 Feet..." [[I paraphrase) "That 20 feet is a loooooong walk".
    BTW: has anyone ever actually seen Jean's dvd "Through The Eyes Of A Supreme"? It seems as much a cipher as Mary Ferrer's next album -

I have seen it when it was released in 2005. I bought a couple of copies. Mary Wilson does have an upcoming album, coming.........

Attachment 9162
    Last edited by marv2; 02-22-2015 at 08:07 PM.

I'v said this before, Jean Terrell didn't like Show Business,Jean was gonna leave The Supremes and Motown,it wouldn't matter if they had a hit record,Jean wanted out,she wanted to blame people,including Mary Wilson and Motown,but it was her job to sing and entertain,at that time,Jean could have been a big star,if she wanted it,no one is gonna give it to you,you have to work for it,Jean didn't want to work,so she left,the solo album I Had To Fall In Love,was a good,but it never was finish,so A and M released what they had,Jean didn't promote it,no one is gonna put up with Jean's moods,not Mary Wilson not Motown not A and M records,not even Former Ladies Of The Supremes,i love Jean Terrell,but the world of Show Business was not her thing,The Supremes could have left Motown,Jean would have still left The Supremes.no matter what.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 02-22-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I'v said this before, Jean Terrell didn't like Show Business,Jean was gonna leave The Supremes and Motown,it wouldn't matter if they had a hit record,Jean wanted out,she wanted to blame people,including Mary Wilson and Motown,but it was her job to sing and entertain,at that time,Jean could have been a big star,if she wanted it,no one is gonna give it to you,you have to work for it,Jean didn't want to work,so she left,the solo album I Had To Fall In Love,was a good,but it never was finish,so A and M released what they had,Jean didn't promote it,no one is gonna put up with Jean's moods,not Mary Wilson not Motown not A and M records,not even Former Ladies Of The Supremes,i love Jean Terrell,but the world of Show Business was not her thing,The Supremes could have left Motown,Jean would have still left The Supremes.
    Another great post on this subject. Thank you REDHOT remember to please stay positive, cool?

Hey Marv,this is the truth,it's has nothing to do with how i feel,it's the truth,i love Jean's work with The Supremes and Motown,even her work after she left,it was always Jean's moods,that got in the way of the work,when money is on the line,again no one is gonna put up with her,trust me, Jean had it her way,thats why she left.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Hey Marv,this is the truth,it's has nothing to do with how i feel,it's the truth,i love Jean's work with The Supremes and Motown,even her work after she left,it was always Jean's moods,that got in the way of the work,when money is on the line,again no one is gonna put up with her,trust me, Jean had it her way,thats why she left.
    I know what you said is true [[I posted the same thing above). Sometimes the truth can sound like a put down, but it is not meant to be. It is what it is and you cannot add to or take away from it!

Jean added a more soulful dimension to the group IMO. I find here her voice quite pleasing. She along with Mary and Cindy gave us some great music. I am not sure if she if she publicly voiced the reason why she left. Is it true that she was told to be less soulful vocally? I did like when she did let loose vocally.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 02-23-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Jean added a more soulful dimension to the group IMO. I find here her voice quite pleasing. She along with Mary and Cindy gave us some great music. I am not sure if she if she publicly voiced the reason why she left. Is it true that she was told to be less soulful vocally? I did like when she did let loose vocally.
    You know I've heard that, too. I vaguely remember reading in Mary's book that, at least in the studio, she was asked to keep more strictly to the melody. Obviously she takes a lot more liberties in live performances. She's got an easy-listening soul, but an incredible versatility in her abilities.

This has always been one of my favorite performances of "Stoned Love," performed by, of all people, FLOS [[led by Jean):

You are so right Detmotownguy! Jean Terrell had the ability to be as Soulful as anyone, yet keep a Pop sound. Her voice was brilliant, very unique so that when you heard the Supremes on the radio in the 70s you knew Jean's voice immediately. Combined with Mary Wilson, they were incredible. I loved how DJ's in our area use to Jean and Mary as Super Soul Sisters Supreme! after playing one of their records. I have never heard a bad song by Jean Terrell.

You know I've heard that, too. I vaguely remember reading in Mary's book that, at least in the studio, she was asked to keep more strictly to the melody. Obviously she takes a lot more liberties in live performances. She's got an easy-listening soul, but an incredible versatility in her abilities.

This has always been one of my favorite performances of "Stoned Love," performed by, of all people, FLOS [[led by Jean):

Honestly, Jean Terrell was the most versatile female vocalist to record for Motown. It was a very good thing that she was confident about her abilities when she joined the group and the label. They could not play any head games with her because she knew she had the goods! People that had stopped listening to the Supremes back in the mid-60s were won over by Jean's superb vocals. The Supremes with her in the lead were very popular with the college crowd in the 70s.

Exclamation

Honestly, Jean Terrell was the most versatile female vocalist to record for Motown. It was a very good thing that she was confident about her abilities when she joined the group and the label. They could not play any head games with her because she knew she had the goods! People that had stopped listening to the Supremes back in the mid-60s were won over by Jean's superb vocals. The Supremes with her in the lead were very popular with the college crowd in the 70s.
    I never forget the response to the new Sups in the neighborhood. I think because Cindy was accepted by the fans and Mary being an original didn't take away with Jean coming as a new member. Her exceptional vocals abilities and confidence on stage sealed the deAl so to speak. They had a new sound that was immediately appealing. I also remember they seemed to appeal to both parents and the "kids". I wasn't even thinking of the 60's hits when JMC hit.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 02-23-2015 at 03:06 AM.

I never forget the response to the new Sups in the neighborhood. I think because was accepted and Mary being an original didn't take away with Jean coming as a new member. Her exceptional vocals abilities and confidence on stage sealed the deAl so to speak. They had a new sound that was immediately appealing. I also remember they seemed to appeal to both parents and the "kids". I wasn't even thinking of the 60's hits when JMC hit.
    It also didn't hurt that all three of the Supremes [[Jean, Mary and Cindy) were goodlooking and sexy................on top of sounding like a group again and soulful to boot!

You're so right Marv,The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean were beautiful,Jean Terrell had such a great voice,antceleb that video of former ladies of The Supremes[[jean Scherrie Lynda)that you post, is Jean at her best,you can tell Jean was in a good mood,and Lynda Laurence and Scherrie Payne,were soundin good,that intro Scherrie is not playing around,the whole show is great.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 02-23-2015 at 04:06 AM.

I wonder if Jean's issue lies in the fact that, while extremely talented, was stuck in a rut by becoming a "covers" singer.

Jean of course is a SOUL singer; the sugary-pop that the Supremes put out in the 60's aren't exactly a challenge to Jean's vocal abilites. Yet, as a Supreme, she was expected to include these as part of her package. Jean's interpetations of these songs are so far removed from the originals; much to the pleasure, I'm sure, to Jean, and much to the dismay, I gather, from the fans.

Supremes like Lynda and Scherrie, on the other hand, have embraced the Supremes catalog and have long made a career out of singing songs intended of a lead other than themselves.

I wonder if the Jean-lead Supremes would have dropped the "image"; dropped the oooh's and aaah's and became more "current", like Honey Cone or the Three Degrees, if they would have fared better. I mean, even having to wear "old" gowns, as glamorous as they were, had to have been an insult of sorts. "Hanging on to yesterday" certainly didn't help the overall groupings, from 1970 on.