[REMOVE ADS]

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey my temptaholics,here's a quik temps quiz[hehe]when the temps appeared at the grammys in[1968]and won for[cloud nine]only four of them were present,who was missing and why???
    That is a very hard question since I can't remember if I saw the 1968 Grammy's. I am going to guess that Eddie was not there due to illness?

Good point, Marv. Somehow I knew you would bring that to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Good point, Marv. Somehow I knew you would bring that to my attention.
    Ralph, it's all about the joy of sharing and learning~! LOL!

Eddie and otis had a falling out just prior,and eddie was a no-show.

Eddie and otis had a falling out just prior,and eddie was a no-show.
    I remember Eddie being out for a time during that period. I just can't remember why so thank you JAI!

When the "Motortown Revue" hit the road on one of it's first tours, Elbridge Bryant was a member of the Temptations:

Name:  Motortown Revue.jpg
Views: 5712
Size:  81.8 KB

Then I noticed when the Motortown Revue appeared at the Apollo in 1963, it was just the four guys [[Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, Otis Williams and Paul Williams) backing up Mary Wells [[they didn't even have their own set in the show).

A few years later, when the Motortown Revue toured England David Ruffin was with them:

Name:  Motortown Revue 2.jpg
Views: 3819
Size:  65.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    When the "Motortown Revue" hit the road on one of it's first tours, Elbridge Bryant was a member of the Temptations:

Name:  Motortown Revue.jpg
Views: 5712
Size:  81.8 KB

Then I noticed when the Motortown Revue appeared at the Apollo in 1963, it was just the four guys [[Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, Otis Williams and Paul Williams) backing up Mary Wells [[they didn't even have their own set in the show).

A few years later, when the Motortown Revue toured England David Ruffin was with them:

Name:  Motortown Revue 2.jpg
Views: 3819
Size:  65.4 KB
    Great photo Marv. Looking at that photo, it is hard to imagine the impact these folks made across the globe. When you think of it, a few hundred people [[just a guess) helped Motown make their their mark on the world and changed the history of music. Of course with the help of musicians, writers, technical folks, back office, sales, and Maxine Powell! The impact is almost hard to comprehend.

It's harder for me to believe that several folks in the above photograph use to roller skate at the same rink as we did right down the street from my house. About mile and a half!

It's harder for me to believe that several folks in the above photograph use to roller skate at the same rink as we did right down the street from my house. About mile and a half!
    Didn't Aretha skate at that rink?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Didn't Aretha skate at that rink?
    Yes it was called the Rollercade. My mom remembers all of them being there. I remember Smokey and Pete from the Miracles mostly. A couple of the Supremes hung out there as well...........

Yes it was called the Rollercade. My mom remembers all of them being there. I remember Smokey and Pete from the Miracles mostly. A couple of the Supremes hung out there as well...........
    Ah Detroit history; can't be beat. It was so cool growing up in Detroit and even better to know folks that worked at Motown.

I remember some older cats telling me about a young dude named[marvin gaye]doo-wopping on the street corners in d.c. Back in the day,they didn't pay him much attention because everybody sang on the corners in those days.

I remember some older cats telling me about a young dude named[marvin gaye]doo-wopping on the street corners in d.c. Back in the day,they didn't pay him much attention because everybody sang on the corners in those days.
    He was a legend in the making............but who knew?!

More temps lore..legend has it that between shows at the old[howard]theatre eddie would go out the side door and talk to the kids there.

More temps lore..legend has it that between shows at the old[howard]theatre eddie would go out the side door and talk to the kids there.
    Oh I can totally believe that. He and Florence Ballard were very much allike when it came to the fans. David Ruffin also to an extent. He would hand kids money, spare change etc.

That's nice to hear. Eddie seems like a fan friendly guy. Didn't Mary and Flo do the same thing? I believe Mary wrote about something similar. I am sure it meant a lot to those kids.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    That's nice to hear. Eddie seems like a fan friendly guy. Didn't Mary and Flo do the same thing? I believe Mary wrote about something similar. I am sure it meant a lot to those kids.
    Eddie [[and David) was the type that would come and sit down at your table and talk after one of his concerts. Obie of the Four Tops was like that too.

Eddie [[and David) was the type that would come and sit down at your table and talk after one of his concerts. Obie of the Four Tops was like that too.
    I had a nice talk with Obie on a flight from Ca. Back to Detroit. Man he was a real nice guy - very humble and was respectful. Not an ounce of arrogance.

Hey my temptaholics,i think more than any other motown act you can always pick out an instrument or bassline that you didn't hear before...like the keyboard in[girl]why you wanna make me blue..or the killer bassline in[beauty's only skin deep]don't beleieve me just pull out a classic song and give it a good close listen...temptations forever!!

Hey my temptaholics,i think more than any other motown act you can always pick out an instrument or bassline that you didn't hear before...like the keyboard in[girl]why you wanna make me blue..or the killer bassline in[beauty's only skin deep]don't beleieve me just pull out a classic song and give it a good close listen...temptations forever!!
    Somewhat off topic, but to me the first 30 secs of Hush by Deep Purple reminds of the intro of a Sups record. I was listening to it the other and it reminds me of You Cant Hurry Love. maybe should post it as a new thread. Been a loooong day!!!!

I ain't mad at cha,but this is about the temps...cool?

Talk about the perfect group name,you are[tempted]to listen and[tempted] to see em perform.

Talk about the perfect group name,you are[tempted]to listen and[tempted] to see em perform.
    I am now that you mentioned it. I have a craving for the recordings from 1967-69 right now!

I'm right with ya my temptaholic friend,but i'm gonna go back to oh[62]with-mind over matter.

Hey marv,i just found a copy of[soul to soul]love the album jacket.

Hey marv,i just found a copy of[soul to soul]love the album jacket.
    The "Soul to Soul" with Ali singing lead?

That's the one.

Listen to what Kenny Gamble of Gamble & Huff has to say about the Temptations here:

I heard dat,from the man himself,it's funny that he mentioned the flamingoes because the temps patterned themselves after that classic group and were called the[latter day]flamingoes.

I heard dat,from the man himself,it's funny that he mentioned the flamingoes because the temps patterned themselves after that classic group and were called the[latter day]flamingoes.
    Well, they simply surpassed the Flamingos! Kenny knows what he is talking about.

The temps have something that may never be duplicated ever,five lead singers plus the dance moves, we certainly won't see the likes of them in this lifetime and to be honest i don't think it will happen again ever...too many ego's ,not enough talent.

The temps have something that may never be duplicated ever,five lead singers plus the dance moves, we certainly won't see the likes of them in this lifetime and to be honest i don't think it will happen again ever...too many ego's ,not enough talent.
    The Temptations like so many other singers of their generation were singing for their supper. They had to be good and were willing to work hard at it.........perfection!

Marv-you know that i'm hi-five-in you across this keyboard[hehe] or as the temps would say...rap on brother-rap on!!!

Marv-you know that i'm hi-five-in you across this keyboard[hehe] or as the temps would say...rap on brother-rap on!!!
    Backatyou bro! You know the deal. Those that came earlier just worked harder, received less, but are oh so more valued now than what we have now. Think about it..............................

Oh you know that's right, so many have come and gone but the temptin ones are still here.

Oh you know that's right, so many have come and gone but the temptin ones are still here.
    Other than David Ruffin Jr. and Paul Williams son are there anymore of the Tempts children performing?

Good question,but i don't know.

Good question,but i don't know.
    If Eddie Kendricks' daughter sang just a little, she'd be a star. The girl is gorgeous!

Marv, i have to ask this...do you think that these sons of the temps superstars are just following in thier dads footsteps out of an historic sense or are they maybe trying to use thier famous last names to cash in? I wondering.

Marv, i have to ask this...do you think that these sons of the temps superstars are just following in thier dads footsteps out of an historic sense or are they maybe trying to use thier famous last names to cash in? I wondering.
    My honest gut feeling may not be too popular. I feel that David's son was exploiting his connection. I believe Paul Williams Jr. [[just as Roquel Payton of the Four Tops) is in it because he is talented and to honor his father's legacy.

Thanks my temptaholic friend,just wondering.

Thanks my temptaholic friend,just wondering.
    Anytime JAI. Here's a quite controversial question for you. Do you think that David Ruffin OD'ed or was he murdered?

Ohhhhh,boy...well legend has it that ruffin had that money belt with about[40k]on him,did anyone find the money?

Ohhhhh,boy...well legend has it that ruffin had that money belt with about[40k]on him,did anyone find the money?
    It was a bit more than legend. He HAD that money on him. I remember CNN caring the first reports. I recognized the street and everything in Philly where he was before being taken to the hospital. From what I know of that neighborhood, anything could happen to you! The money was not recovered to my knowledge. By the time they brought him to Detroit for the services, no one was talking [[at least not around me) about what actually happened to David.

Sad end for someone who has given so much to this art of music, but as the elders say-as long as one person remembers you you'll never die, and the whole world remembers-david ruffin.

Sad end for someone who has given so much to this art of music, but as the elders say-as long as one person remembers you you'll never die, and the whole world remembers-david ruffin.
    Oh that is perfect...................the perfect truth!

A question for all my temptaholics, and read this very carefully before you answer,now out of all the many,many great songs by our guys what is the one song in thier tremendous catalog that gives you goose bumps and almost brings a tear to your ears because it's soooo perfect? Now it may not be the song that's your personal favorite but just one that moves you like no other..for me the timeless perfection of what i will always call the greatest first tenor lead in soul music history...the girl's alright with me, this song for me is mezmorizing...think before you answer...temptations forever.

For me, that would be "Please Return Your Love to Me"! Hands down.

For the original line-up, with David on lead: My Girl

For the '70s Temps, with Dennis: Papa Was A Rolling Stone

Both spine-chilling in their own different ways.

Hands down, "I Can't Get Next to You." Have MERCY!!!!