[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    From the Fall of 1977 [[released as a single in October, '77) "As".

Of course, the lead single from the album released a full year before "As", "I Wish".

So, Mary, Gladys and Martha are not mentioned as performers in the opening. what's up? Did CBS edit out every performer who actually WORKED with Stevie?

thomas96 Guest
    Seriously? Is it just a bunch of new "artist" doing this tribute?

So far, I see Beyonce writhing around onstage lookin like she's trying to re-enact herself lowering herself onto a big ole dick.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    So far, I see Beyonce writhing around onstage lookin like she's trying to re-enact herself lowering herself onto a big ole dick.
    Now THAT would be a picture worth posting!!!!

I'm confused ..where was Martha? Great to see Mary and front and center with Gladys at finale. Why oh why didn't Gladys sing.

Yeah, the youtube clip at the first of the thread is gone... and I didn't see Martha in any still pics. Was she there?

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Yeah, the youtube clip at the first of the thread is gone... and I didn't see Martha in any still pics. Was she there?
    I don't believe Martha was there. The clip that was deleted was a bootleg of the finale......the entire, unedited finale! CBS had it taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I'm confused ..where was Martha? Great to see Mary and front and center with Gladys at finale. Why oh why didn't Gladys sing.
    I can tell they edited Mary's speech. She was telling how they first met Stevie as a kid when he came to audition at Hitsville.

thomas96 Guest
    Gladys should've sang. Stevie was good but I thought every other singer was pretty bad. Tony Bennett was okay.

This reminded me somewhat of what Sun. nights television viewing use to be like when we had variety shows on the networks. I would love to see them create at least one traditional variety show with live performances , but not in a contest setting. I cannot stand the American Idol type shows personally.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Gladys should've sang. Stevie was good but I thought every other singer was pretty bad. Tony Bennett was okay.
    She probably did, as did Mary Wilson. I am sure the actually taping was much longer than what we saw tonight on commercial television. I hope a DVD is released before i am too old. LOL!

I liked janelle,Jill and India and very nice to see Stevie daughter..almost syreetaesque. In my opinion Beyonce was awful and out of place. So martha sang in the original unedited tape? But not present in finale?so confused.

I liked janelle,Jill and India and very nice to see Stevie daughter..almost syreetaesque. In my opinion Beyonce was awful and out of place. So martha sang in the original unedited tape? But not present in finale?so confused.
    I was just about to mention his daughter Aisha. She is one beautiful looking young woman.

I don't believe Martha was even at the event. Beyonce came off a bit too rough sounding and if she doesn't realize it yet, her act can become stale to the public. She looked great though.

Is it just me or does Janelle Monae looks more than a bit like a young Diahann Carroll?

Yeah never been a fan of Beyoncé. She looked kinda tacky for this type of event. Actually I thought Tony B was real good. In the end, I actually enjoyed the special. Nice to see Berry there too. Gladys and Mary looked great. I think the choice of entertainers kept the focus on Stevie as nobody was showboating so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Seriously? Is it just a bunch of new "artist" doing this tribute?
    Thomas it was clear that they [[CBS) were going for the younger demographic, even though Stevie Wonder's music is of the 45 yo and up generations music. Marketers always make this mistake. Those kids are not going to rush out or download Stevie's greatest hits, but his fans that's been there for years just might after tonight's refresher.

One of my favorite performances tonight was by Babyface and the young lady singing "Signed, Sealed and Delivered".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Is it just me or does Janelle Monae looks more than a bit like a young Diahann Carroll?
    She does and is attractive! I saw Diahann Carroll last night on TV and is absolutely beautiful.

So nobody from Motown performed except Stevie?

I really enjoyed the show,thst Ne-Yo sound great,i'd like to see him do a tribute cd,to Stevie Wonder,and Mary Wilson looked BEAUTIFUL.

The reviews on Facebook are awesome.

Andy Skurow

11 hrs ·

LOVED the Stevie Wonder tribute tonight on CBS! West Coast friends don't miss it! Motown fans will spot Mary Wilson [[presenting) and glimpses of Gladys Knight and Berry Gordy. PHENOMENAL SHOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    So nobody from Motown performed except Stevie?
    You missed the show? They didn't show it in Canada? I posted the air date and time for viewers here in the States.

Despite the crass and rude description from a fellow member, and the obvious dislike of others, I thought the special was pretty amazing. To see all these young singers announce that they were affected by Stevie Wonder's music made me very happy. To see Tony Bennett and Andrea Bocelli and The Band Perry sing his music differently than we usually hear it just showed how universal his messages are. I didn't find a bad performance in the entire program and enjoyed every bit of music - and seeing Ms. Mary Wilson. The fact that so many older artists were getting audience shots during the performance made me very happy as well. And Beyonce, Ed Sheeran and Ed Clark, Jr. killed the opening, starting off the night in a way that said, we are going to tribute but not recreate. And I loved that.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Despite the crass and rude description from a fellow member, and the obvious dislike of others, I thought the special was pretty amazing. To see all these young singers announce that they were affected by Stevie Wonder's music made me very happy. To see Tony Bennett and Andrea Bocelli and The Band Perry sing his music differently than we usually hear it just showed how universal his messages are. I didn't find a bad performance in the entire program and enjoyed every bit of music - and seeing Ms. Mary Wilson. The fact that so many older artists were getting audience shots during the performance made me very happy as well. And Beyonce, Ed Sheeran and Ed Clark, Jr. killed the opening, starting off the night in a way that said, we are going to tribute but not recreate. And I loved that.
    I thought they all did a great job last night. It was professional, classy, fun and memorable. Like good television use to be.

I thought they all did a great job last night. It was professional, classy, fun and memorable. Like good television use to be.
    It was well done. I just wish I could have seen more of Stevie's Motown contemporaries, but I understand that they need to draw ratings by having all these people I've never heard of perform. They were also fine. I've just never heard of them. But I've also not turned on a radio to a contemporary station since 1990something.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/entert...ute/index.html

It may have been better than the Grammys they say!

Thanx for posting marv2...great pics

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/entert...ute/index.html

It may have been better than the Grammys they say!
    jobeterob, IMHO, it was better than the Grammys...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    jobeterob, IMHO, it was better than the Grammys...lol!
    Sister, I did not see the Grammys this year, but was sure not to miss this great television special.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Thanx for posting marv2...great pics
    Glen you are very welcome buddy.

Thanks Marv for the Detroit Free Press article. It prompted good memories of Motown reporting by the Detroit media. Great to see that Mary was quoted! Too bad Martha could not be there!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks Marv for the Detroit Free Press article. It prompted good memories of Motown reporting by the Detroit media. Great to see that Mary was quoted! Too bad Martha could not be there!
    I wonder where Smokey was?