[REMOVE ADS]

Justin Bieber Dominates American Music Awards

Bieber perfect at AMAs with 4 awards, including artist of the year

Nekesa Mumbi Moody, The Associated Press
    Justin Bieber's first American Music Awards was perfection.

The 16-year-old teen heartthrob from Stratford, Ont., went four-for-four on Sunday night, capturing every award he was nominated for, including the top award of the night, favourite artist. He beat a list that featured veterans Eminem and Usher as well as Katy Perry and Lady Gaga.

Rihanna
    Kicking off the 2010 American Music Awards was Rihanna with a 9-minute long performance. Rihanna started with ''Love the way you lie [[Part II)'' in the air to dazzle the crowd. She then moved onto ''What's My Name'', shaking her body across the stage and rockin' the performance. She closed the performance with her first single from her new album, ''Only Girl [[In The World)''. [[credit: Getty Images)

Bieber became the youngest person to ever win the trophy. Bieber also won favourite pop/rock album, favourite pop/rock male, and the show's breakthrough artist award.

"I can't stop smiling; this is amazing," Bieber said after he also beat Eminem and Usher for favourite pop/rock male. "Truly I don't know how this is possible because I've been singing Eminem since I was three and Usher is my mentor. So this is big."

Eminem, along with Lady Antebellum, had been the leading nominee with five awards. He didn't come up empty handed though, winning two, along with Usher, who also nabbed a pair. Lady Antebellum took home one.

Other winners included Black Eyed Peas and Taylor Swift, but Sunday's ceremony at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles was as much a showcase for acts with new albums as it was a celebration of the biggest achievers of 2010.

Rihanna, with her hair dyed a ruby red, gave the show a colorful and sexy start, performing a medley of songs from her just released album "Loud," including the No. 1 hit "What's My Name," wearing a bustier and what seemed like a scarf wrapped around her backside.

"This is amazing!" said an exuberant Rihanna, who danced onstage later to receive her award - favourite soul/R&B female. She ended her speech by yelling, "Wassup! Thank you!"

The Black Eyed Peas, winners for favourite pop/rock band, gave a levitating performance, singing from boxes atop the stage during part of their performance of their new single, "The Time."

But some of the prime-time performances were given to acts who weren't nominated, but had albums to promote. Diddy's latest incarnation with the group Diddy-Dirty Money sang material from their upcoming album, while Kid Rock gave a stirring, acoustic performance of "Times Like These," his song lifting up his hometown of Detroit during its recent economic struggles, from his new CD, "Born Free."

A pregnant Pink was among the evening's performance highlights. Unlike recent performances marked by a high-wire act, she stayed close to the ground to perform her latest song, "Raise Your Glass," but thrilled nonetheless with a tightly choreographed, high-energy dance number.

Katy Perry had the evening's most explosive performance as pyrotechnics accentuated her performance of her latest song, "Firework."

Swift, last year's artist of the year, took home favourite country female. Sporting sleek blonde hair instead of her usual cascading curls, Swift said simply: "I just want to thank the fans."

Swift later performed her new single "Back to December," a song she also performed on the CMA Awards earlier in the month, but mixed things up by incorporating some of OneRepublic's "Too Late To Apologize."

Ke$ha, perhaps trying to make up for the absent Lady Gaga, had the night's most bizarre performance: She performed her heavily Auto-Tuned hit "Take It Off" looking like something out of space, with beams of light for eyes and sporting a motorcycle helmet. She then stripped down to a mirrored outfit, segueing into the next song with a pack of male dancers dressed like her, complete with blond wigs and fishnet stockings.

It's kind on unusual for a teeny bopper act to garner this many awards. Methinks they are having to scrape the bottom of the barrel here. We certainly never saw the likes of Leif Garett garner such awards. Gaga, I feel, is just trying to be wierd just for the sake of being wierd. It all seem so gratuitous to me.

Can't say I've ever heard of him [[or heard any of his music).
    Don't think I'll be rushing to hear his stuff though.

I went and listened to him on YouTube after he won these last night.

One of his clips has been seen by 391,000,000 people........yes, 391 MILLION. Mostly little girls, I assume.

To me, he is no Michael Jackson. I saw one of his clips labelled as "most gratuitous use of a gospel choir" ~ I guess to cover up vocals that were not Aretha Franklin/Barbra Streisand/Elvis Presley quality at their peak.

I must say, I have never seen him either.
    He must be good, and to get entertainer of the year award [[mmmm)
    Who is he, I hope I'm not sounding a little off beat.
    I guess I will do some research on this kid. Is he as good as MICHAEL when he was that age, what 16yrs old.
    CEASAR
    THE
    ORIGINAL
    TYMES

Who is Justin Bieber and I am not kidding?

smark21 Guest
    Well the AMAs have never been about merit, they've always been about sales and popularity polls.

I wouldn't say 393 million people have viewed one of his videos, but it has received 393 million views. It's earned 393k likes, but twice as many dislikes.

Here is the video with 393 million plus views. Hope you all like autotune.

Justin is the biggest artist of the year.

I wonder if his voice has changed yet. It should have, shouldn't it?

"I wonder if his voice has changed yet. It should have, shouldn't it?"
    rob....... I could have sworn I heard his voice crack at one point in his performance , I guess this is the auto-tune generation.

CEASAR --"Is he as good as MICHAEL when he was that age, what 16yrs old."
    [[In Winehouse's voice) ,"I said NOO ,NOO ,NOOOOOO" .

Marv--" Who is Justin Bieber and I am not kidding? " What you talkin bout Marv????
    Why....He's the jagged....er ummm,.... cutting edge of todays youthful music ...ROTF...

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    "I wonder if his voice has changed yet. It should have, shouldn't it?"
    rob....... I could have sworn I heard his voice crack at one point in his performance , I guess this is the auto-tune generation.

CEASAR --"Is he as good as MICHAEL when he was that age, what 16yrs old."
    [[In Winehouse's voice) ,"I said NOO ,NOO ,NOOOOOO" .

Marv--" Who is Justin Bieber and I am not kidding? " What you talkin bout Marv????
    Why....He's the jagged....er ummm,.... cutting edge of todays youthful music ...ROTF...
    Daddy, Daddy, Daddy! I can always count on you to make me laugh. Darn near spit up my coffee here! LOL!!!

Is he like Marky Mark and those guys? I mean on that level?

Maybe.

This guy is huge right now; he is much bigger than Susan Boyle last Christmas and I think he is bigger than Taylor Swift.

Could most people on here stand listening? Not really. I guess it's fair to say he can sing. Not sure he'll last as long as Britney Spears has but he doesn't seem to be all screwed up.

Hope he makes a lot of money now and doesn't blow it.

He's got backing from Usher. So much for that. It's a commercial thing. If he survives the voice change period and learns how to really sing and learn somthing about the history of music ,beyond Emenem , and he keeps up with his fan base ,he might be on the same level as that Timberlake dude. Otherwise.....it's Atlantic City in 2 years

Don't worry guys, He'll fade away like all the other teenyboppers. He'll have a fanbase until they grow up.

It tends to be like this, I used to like music like that when I was a young teenager and then when it started becoming boring to me, I just grew up from it.

I've heard of him, I've never heard his music. It's teeny-bop stuff, nothing new here I'm guessing. Too many good artists past and present whom I haven't listened to for me to spend a penny on teeny-bop stuff that's most likely auto-tuned and badly produced. Oh well, hope he enjoys his fame because it won't last long.

I mean, there's always been teeny bopper stuff, and some of it I liked. We just need to consider him the modern day version of Shaun Cassidy or Bobby Sherman. They still have fan bases, so who knows what the future will bring. One thing is for sure, the AMA's, and/or the public's taste has sure gone to hell since the first AMA's:

To be fair ,a lot of good acts started as so called Teeny Bopper acts ,such as New Edition ,The Jackson Five ,Black Ivory , The Beatles ,Frank Sinatra , just to name a few. They grew with their fan base though because of talent and having the right production and management support that they were involved with. The Teeny Bopper genre never changes ,as a matter of fact it is a constant factor in the music business because it is based on and targeted towards a specific age group and whatever is current for that age group at a specific time. I listened to teeny Bopper groups as a teen also ,but you grow out of Teeny Bopper music as you get older and more mature. Groups and artists like New Edition ,The Jackson Five ,Black Ivory , The Beatles ,Frank Sinatra , etc matured along with their fan base and even went on to develop into important figures in modern music development. The key to survival for Justin is in how he develops himself into an artist and if he can mature with his audience and protect his image as he gets older from overexposure as a result of his backers greed for money.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    To be fair ,a lot of good acts started as so called Teeny Bopper acts ,such as New Edition ,The Jackson Five ,Black Ivory , The Beatles ,Frank Sinatra , just to name a few. They grew with their fan base though because of talent and having the right production and management support that they were involved with. The Teeny Bopper genre never changes ,as a matter of fact it is a constant factor in the music business because it is based on and targeted towards a specific age group and whatever is current for that age group at a specific time. I listened to teeny Bopper groups as a teen also ,but you grow out of Teeny Bopper music as you get older and more mature. Groups and artists like New Edition ,The Jackson Five ,Black Ivory , The Beatles ,Frank Sinatra , etc matured along with their fan base and even went on to develop into important figures in modern music development. The key to survival for Justin is in how he develops himself into an artist and if he can mature with his audience and protect his image as he gets older from overexposure as a result of his backers greed for money.
    Who is Black Ivory?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Who is Black Ivory?
    Black Ivory was a R&B group from Harlem, which had a number of hits in the 1970s, including "Don't Turn Around", "You and I" [[both of which featured Larry Blackmon from Cameo on drums), "I'll Find a Way [[The Loneliest Man in Town)", "Spinning Around", "What Goes Around [[Comes Around)", "Will We Ever Come Together", and "Mainline."

Source - Wikipedia.

Adrain ..

There is no mention in that mini wikipedia article that '80s R&B producer LEROY BURGESS was involved with the group BLACK IVORY ..

Here is one of my favourite BLACK IVORY tracks .. "Time is Love" released on the Today label around 1972ish ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eb_RwNxlVQ

Roger

Justin Bieber cant even be put on a level with those other teeny boppers! New Edition, Bobby Sherman [[although limited), J5, and these other cats that were named had talent! Even NYSYNC and the Backstreet Boys had more talent than this chump! I give him 2 more years since he has Usher backing him. Taylor Swift is the youngest most talented thing I have seen come out. She is like Debbie Gibson was she can sing and write and has catchy lyrics. This guy reminds me of a male Hilary Swank.

What catches my attention about Justin Bieber is how much attention he gets; 391 million you tube hits; and our old Motown stars ~ many of them struggle for a few hundred views; the major ones get a few million.

The splash seems so much bigger; but the American Music Awards have always been about popularity which is why he won so many. The American Music Awards also filled in the gaps left by the Grammys and for many years were much more popular than the Grammys.

It seems to me in recent years, they have both declined severely in credibility and popularity.

I also hope Justin ends up with a few dollars left over because there are thousands of examples of stars from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's who have nothing.

Justin Timberlake should be ok he seems savvy. Im shocked Robin Thicke still has a huge fan base. The American Music Awards have become a joke though and with the popularity of our friends like Tony Bennett I suspect people like Michael Buble and Josh Groban will still sell records and have fans. I will be interesting to see if Mary j Blige and her types will be able to hang on.

"There is no mention in that mini wikipedia article that '80s R&B producer LEROY BURGESS was involved with the group BLACK IVORY .."

Google LEROY BURGESS . I'll get straight to the point .......LEROY BURGESS , was an intergral part of Black Ivory ,and forgive my bluntness ,a BADD ASS M.F. ,as both a writer ,producer and artist. Check out his web site.

smark21
    "Who is Black Ivory?" Google them ,then track down the recordings. I assure you it will be worth your while. That question you asked is one of the reasons SDF is one of the best forums on the net. The fact that this type of info can be passed down to a new generation ,is priceless. Black Ivory, Leroy Burgess ,and Patrick Adams , ........this is part of Soul/R&b's beggining of the 70's phase. All I can say is enjoy your journey.

Justin Bieber is the updated version of Donny Osmond [[ca. 1971), only with less talent.