[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastsupreme View Post
    hi everyone: love to all of you and hope to see you on the 13th at The E spot Lounge.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60v...ature=youtu.be

Introduced by Fred Bronson: here's our promo. xox
    Susaye, thank you so much for posting the link. It's a fabulous promo! I've ordered my ticket and I am just so excited that I will be able to see you two perform again!! Happy, Happy, Happy!

Thanks Kenneth; we're very excited and can't wait to see you too. xox

Ms. Susaye, is there ANY possibility of you two talented ladies coming east? I can't afford a trip west but my dream is to see you two live.

High Energy is one of the finest songs ever recorded. And the last Supremes album is superb. The vocal combination of Mary, Scherrie, and Susaye created a super group.

We are blessed that we each one of you are still performing and making good music over thirty after the end of the Supremes. Keep making that high energy!

Martha may be a super person but people wonder what's happened to her voice ..it's pretty significant when compared to her peers but it's not personal. She seems like a great Motown ambassador.

I'll be the one cheering the loudest!

Susaye [[and Scherrie), I wanted to ask, you know my beautiful copy of "High Energy" that you autographed? At the time, I only had a ball point pen. If I bring it in again [[along with a sharpie this time), do you think it is possible to re-sign it over the authograph and message you originally wrote on it? I love it so much but really regretted not having a proper sharpie for the autograph.
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-06-2015 at 12:41 PM.

There are pictures of the FLOS performing in Florida on Facebook. They seem to have just been posted last night. Are they old pictures or did this happen recently?

I wish I could make it out for this show. I hope there will be more, as I want to support any showcase for these supremely talented Supreme ladies. Have fun everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I wish I could make it out for this show. I hope there will be more, as I want to support any showcase for these supremely talented Supreme ladies. Have fun everyone!
    We wish you could be there too, Carlo! It would be great to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    We wish you could be there too, Carlo! It would be great to meet you.
    I could be wrong, but I do think there is real demand in NYC and DC [[at least) to see these two wonderful ladies. I think with proper promotion both an NYC and DC venue would sell out. My own personal dream would be to see Mary, Scherrie and Susaye, but I completely understand why that won't happen. I'm very happy to see the Parners.

Yeah a good idea! Talk about a Super Group!!!

OH yes there is a demand in the DC area for Susaye and Scherrie. If I was Oprah I would pay Scherrie to come in my living room and sing Its All Been Said Before to the record. I would also have Susaye sing her riff in High Energy and give them both 5000.00.

It's Monday and I've got Friday on my mind!

This Friday - Scherrie & Susaye "The Supreme Love Show" - Vitello's Studio City, Los Angeles

Here is the link to the Big Dawg Productions updated promo video for the show:
    http://youtu.be/B60vLEYCnfw

Another feather in it's cap! "20 Feet From Stardom" wins Grammy last night for "Best Music Film" beating out Beyoncé & Jay Z, Coldplay, Metallica and Pink!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

From Big Dawg Productions:

Great morning to you,

I would like to Congratulate the GRAMMY AWARD WINNING RECORDING ARTISTS for Best Music Film " 20 Feet from Stardom" that Big Dawg Productions has the pleasure of Managing.

Charlo Crossley
    Mable John
    Claudia Lennear
    Susaye Greene
    Scherrie Payne

2014 Academy Award

2015 Grammy Award

Thank you and God Bless.

Sydney.

"Supreme Love Show" Promo: http://youtu.be/B60vLEYCnfw
    __________________________________________________ _____________

supremester Guest
    I wish I could be there but I'll be in Sarasota with Miss Ross. Next time! Have fun!

Photo 1 attached to the above Big Dawg e-mail:
    Name:  10636435_681015552009892_6188954817201941601_oA.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  51.8 KB
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 02-09-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Photo 2: Lisa Morgan and Caitren
    Name:  Lisa Morgan and CaitrenA.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  61.8 KB
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 02-09-2015 at 06:37 PM.

And photo 3: The Crew
    Name:  THE CREWA.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  52.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I wish I could be there but I'll be in Sarasota with Miss Ross. Next time! Have fun!
    Have a great time in Sarasota, Gregg!

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow
    Scherrie & Susaye are only a day away!
    Tomorrow, tomorrow . . .

Name:  s&s.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  7.2 KB
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 02-12-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Photo 1 attached to the above Big Dawg e-mail:
    Name:  10636435_681015552009892_6188954817201941601_oA.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  51.8 KB
    Is that Mable John in the center?

Is that Mable John in the center?
    Yes. 84 years young. See you at the show, Kenneth.

"Supreme Love" show not cancelled!

In case you have heard that the "Supreme Love" show has been cancelled, that is not correct. I have just checked with Big Dawg Productions and Sydney has confirmed the show is definitely on! The confusion was caused by a Facebook page being taken down. Scherrie and Susaye tomorrow at Vitello's.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Photo 2: Lisa Morgan and Caitren
    Name:  Lisa Morgan and CaitrenA.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  61.8 KB
    Isn't that Lisa Fisher?

Sure is Lisa!

Thanks for posting this! The show will indeed go on! We are so excited. Can hardly wait........it's going to be so much fun. See you tomorrow! Name:  10001132_599449946810356_1342036320_o-[[1)cropsmall.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  72.4 KB love from Susaye

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Isn't that Lisa Fisher?
    Yes Marv you are correct. The photo [[a Getty Image) was mislabeled and I didn't catch it. I cannot correct that post now, but it should read; singer Lisa Fischer, director Morgan Neville and producer Caitrin Rogers. Thank you for catching the error.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 02-13-2015 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks for posting this! The show will indeed go on! We are so excited. Can hardly wait........it's going to be so much fun. See you tomorrow! Name:  10001132_599449946810356_1342036320_o-[[1)cropsmall.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  72.4 KB love from Susaye
    Thank you for posting such a lovely photo, Susaye. So very glad that it was just a glitch that caused the rumor. Glad that got nipped in bud real quick. Looking forward to "Supreme Love" tomorrow, now that I'm over the shock of thinking it was cancelled! LOL!

Sophisticated Soul, you Gooooo!

And just make sure you return safely, and faithfully report Baaaaack!

Thank you Roger. I'm leaving soon for L.A. So excited to be part of "Supreme Love"!

Wow, what a great show this was! I got to meet Joseph "Sophisticated_Soul" which was a real pleasure. Had seat in the very front center table, right in front of the stage. Fantastic!

I'll let Joseph write up his review before I add my comments, but suffice for now to say that it was a tighter and punchier show than the one we saw last July, and a longer show. Each girl had more solo numbers than before. Great backup band. The girls were absolutely spot on and pitch perfect. A fantastic evening!

A few photos!

Name:  IMG_0174.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  43.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0177.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  47.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0198.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  42.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0208.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  44.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0219.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  43.3 KB

Great photos Kenneth! Thank you for posting them. It was very enjoyable meeting you. The show was just awesome. Please go ahead and post your review Kenneth. I'm exhausted and I won't be posting a review for a day or two. I totally agree with you about the show being tighter. I mean they were awesome in July, but tonight they were even more awesome. There were so many memorable moments. When Scherrie sang "Crumbs Off The Table" I just totally lost it, she sounded fantastic! And Susaye singing "My Funny Valentine" what a totally unexpected delight! It was a long drive home, I got get some rest.

Can't believe you already made it home! Wow, you must have driven fast. Okay, we'll get our reviews up tomorrow. I'm going to bed too!

There was very little traffic at this time. I sailed home listening to the "Partners" CD and reliving that incredible show! Goodnight.

Did Susaye do Alfie....there's a youtube video of her doing that...it blew me away

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Did Susaye do Alfie....there's a youtube video of her doing that...it blew me away
    She did, as well as the standards "My Funny Valentine" in a stunning rendition, and "Until It's Time for You to Go" in kind of a jazzy arrangement. Her "Valentine" was so beautiful. Why no one has recorded a set of standards on this lady is beyond me. I mean, Bob Dylan just recorded an album of standards...and Susaye hasn't? I love Dylan, but what is wrong with this picture?

A couple more with their biggest fan [[or maybe second biggest, Joseph might be a bigger fan). We'll have to fight that out.

Name:  IMG_0241.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0224.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  35.5 KB

They're Baaaaack! I mean Kenneth and Joseph!

Gorgeous photos! Fantastic comments! Really looking forward to the full reviews. But from what's already been said, it sounds sensational. What a night! So glad you enjoyed it. [[I knew you would. Who wouldn't?!)

I'm a little jealous that LA has had two performances and NYC has not had any. May I please add my name to the petition to get the Supremes Partners to a venue in New York City????? So pleased to hear how wonderful the evening was at Vitello's!

Scherrie and Susaye's "Supreme Love" show at Vitello's in Studio City, CA was fantastic! To start, as you can see from the fabulous photos already posted, the ladies are still stunningly beautiful and remarkably well-preserved. I was reminded after the show that Ms. Payne just turned 70, which is just not at all believeable when you look at her. Kudos to Scherrie and Susaye for their good genes and taking such good care of themselves.
    The program was great. They opened with "Storybook Romance" and "Your Sweet Love" from 'Partners.' They traded [[excellent) solos for most of the evening. The lovely Scherrie Payne gave us a spellbinding medley of "MacArthur Park" and her very own "Another Life From Now." A jazzy original composition, "Penetrating Eyes", featuring her nephew on flugelhorn. A heartfelt, moving rendition of "Here's To Life." And a great surprise for me, a very spirited "Crumbs Off The Table" which I did not expect to hear.
    I must say the great revelation of the evening was the amazing condition of Susaye Greene's voice. Her staggering vocal power and range was just not fully apparent on her Motown recordings. She has the vocal stamina of an opera singer, song-after-song her voice only grew brighter and more thrilling. And certainly the depth of her interpretive gifts has only broadened with time. She thrilled us with riveting versions of "Alfie", "My Funny Valentine", "Until It's Time For You To Go" [[which she recorded with The New Birth) and her own composition "I Can't Help It", popularized by Michael Jackson. The highlight of Susaye's solos was her impassioned take on Philip Bailey's "Children of The Ghetto." She was accompanied by her son, who gave an impressive spoken word counterpoint to her vocal.
    The Supreme Partners came together again to give us "Leaving Me Was The Best Thing You've Ever Done" and a stomping "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking." They closed the evening with a rousing "High Energy", one of my personal favorite Supremes tracks. The audience was very appreciative but with too many subdued "Hollywood" types so, in my opinion, the Ladies did not get the thunderous response their marvelous performances warranted. There was a standing ovation at the end but no encore.
    Joyce Vincent [[of Tony Orlando & Dawn) and Pam Vincent provided support vocals. Among the celebrities in attendance were the fabulous Freda Payne, singer/songwriter Brenda Russell, singer Stephanie Spruill, Bond girl Gloria Hendry, Motown A&R Legend Mickey Stevenson, and the Tony award-winning, legendary R&B/Blues diva Linda Hopkins [[still hollering at 90 years old).

Good review, Guy. I was trying to go through the set list so I wouldn't leave anything out. I think you covered all of it except didn't Susaye also do "In the Night?" Other than that I think you mentioned all the songs except Daniel Colton's solo.

How was attendance? Did they say much to audience? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    How was attendance? Did they say much to audience? Thanks
    It was a smallish venue but was sold out. I'm not sure, guys, what do you think, 250 or 300 people?

Thank you for your beautifully written review, Guy. Very enjoyable reading.

Yes......I wanna echo what Methuselah2 said....thank you Guy

Good review, Guy. I was trying to go through the set list so I wouldn't leave anything out. I think you covered all of it except didn't Susaye also do "In the Night?" Other than that I think you mentioned all the songs except Daniel Colton's solo.
    I didn't write the set list down but yes Susaye did "In The Night". Thank you Guy for reminding me that Scherrie sang "Here's To Life" I got that confused with Susaye singing "Until It's Time For You To Go". I think between the three of us we got the complete set list. How could I have forgotten "Here's To Life". Thank you for your great review Guy. The show was just awesome and the kicker for me was Scherrie singing "Crumbs Off The Table"! Susaye's version of "My Funny Valentine" was also an unexpected delight. At the meet and greet I told Susaye how much I loved her version, and she says she plans to record it. I total agree withe Kenneth that Susaye should consider a standards album.

A couple more with their biggest fan [[or maybe second biggest, Joseph might be a bigger fan). We'll have to fight that out.

Name:  IMG_0241.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0224.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  35.5 KB
    Fantastic photos of you with Scherrie & Susaye!

It was a smallish venue but was sold out. I'm not sure, guys, what do you think, 250 or 300 people?
    I would say less than 200?

I think Guy wrote a very thorough review but I'll just add a few thoughts to it.

I loved the E Spot Lounge, the venue, which is above VItello's Restaurant in Studio City. It is owned by Sheila E[[scovedo), the famous singer/drummer with a long musical lineage. It reminds me a lot of the Catalina Jazz Club although the E Spot is quite a big smaller. You can order anything off the menu. My friend and I shared a small pizza which was very good. The other folks at the table ordered some pasta. They have all kinds of Italian specialties. It's a good menu. The prices are reasonable too.

There was a real festive feeling in the air. There wasn't as much "flash" in the crowd as at the premier show back in July, but overall I thought the show was better presented, tighter and with a punchier lineup. There was only one warm up act, a comedian/mcgician. Because I was seated at a table in the front, I had to participate in one "card trick." [[Calling it a card trick is actually being really generous.) I like stand up comedy, but these magicians who don't really do any tricks to me are kind of silly seeming. Oh well.

There was no other warm up act, unlike at the premiere show where Charlo Crossley and several others had brief sets.

The girls were introduced by Fred Bronson. The band sounded great. Even though we were in the very front at stage center, the sound was not overpowering. You could hear the vocals distinctly and clearly. The acoustics seemed tremendous to me.

Between Guy, Joseph [[Sophisticated_Soul) and myself, I think we have the set list down as follows, though we might be off on the order:

Storybook Romance - Scherrie and Susaye
    Your Sweet Love - Scherrie and Susaye
    Leaving Me Was the Best Thing You've Ever Done - Scherrie and Susaye
    In the Night - Susaye
    I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walkin' - Scherrie and Susaye
    Children of the Ghetto - Susaye and her son Daniel Colton
    Up for the Doubles ... ? [[not sure of the title of this song) - Daniel Colton solo
    Macarthur Park/Another Life From Now - Scherrie
    Alfie - Susaye
    Here's to Life - Scherrie
    My Funny Valentine - Susaye
    Crumbs Off the Table - Scherrie
    I Can't Help It - Susaye
    Penetrating Eyes - Scherrie accompanied by her nephew Emil Martinez on Flugelhorn
    Until It's Time for You to Go - Susaye
    High Energy - Scherrie and Susaye

If you were at the July show, you'll notice this set list was somewhat longer, with more solo numbers.

Both ladies were absolutely pitch perfect. I can't tell any difference in their vocal capabilities between 1977 and today. The amplification by the mics was absolutely flawless. There was nary a whiff of feedback. Both ladies obviously know how to sing to a microphone and projected wonderfully. Again, I think the acoustics in this venue is great.

To me, the highlights of the evening were the following.

For Susaye, it was her renditions of the various standards [["Alfie" - a showstopper, "Valentine" - which of course she dedicated to her husband, and "Until It's TIme For You to Go"). This lady simply has to record an album of standards.

For Scherrie, she excelled most on the numbers she herself wrote, and I think her showstopper is still "Macarthur Park/Another Life From Now." I don't think you had to be in the front row of tables to see how emotional she became during that song. She had tears in her eyes. Aside from that, however, she gave a rousing [[and at times with some risque body language) version of "Crumbs Off the Table," one of her numbers from The Glass House days. This is a great addition to the show.

My only criticism of the lineup is that there should be an encore, and it should be "He's My Man." I think every crowd expects at least one encore. After a long set, I can understand they want to get off stage, but I think any audience expects [[and deserves) a return by the performers. "He's My Man" would be a fantastic ending to a fabulous night.

Other than that, ironically, one song that doesn't work for me [[live) is one of my all time favorites, "High Energy." Although it's a great song, a small band just can't reproduce the arrangement and orchestral instrumentation that the album version has. Of course, the girls sing it well, but I just think this song's beauty can't be reproduced on stage. [[I suppose this is true of many of the more discofied numbers.)

After the show, the ladies went downstairs for a meet and greet. I was thrilled to get them to both autograph my copies of "Mary, Scherrie and Susaye" and "Partners." I also had the great pleasure to meet Mickey Stevenson. I told him I'd been listening to and collecting his music since I was 13 years old. What an elegant, gracious gentleman. He acted as if this was the first time anyone had ever raved about his music. I forgot to tell him I was a Detroit native, however!

The ladies of course were bombarded by well wishers but still managed to indulge me for the photographs and autographs. In fact, Scherrie said something like, "It's the fans who have supported us all these years. I'm happy to sign anything," when I asked her to sign a second album cover.

I don't think I could ever tire of seeing these two ladies perform. I know there's a lot of talent out there, but it just seems incredible to me that these two multifacted performers haven't recorded dozens of albums over the years. While I'm happy we have recordings of the Supremes and "Partners" LPs that they participated in, it seems tragic that we don't have much, much more on these two unforgettable singers.

One undercurrent which at least at my table was discussed a good deal, was where was Mary Wilson? Earlier in the day Mary had participated in the team of H-D-H finally getting their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It seems odd that Mary wouldn't have been at either of these two shows to support Scherrie and Susaye. I suppose she might have been performing somewhere herself, or just couldn't make it, but knowing she had been in town on the very day of the event [[as I think she still lives in Las Vegas) made this a question on the tip of everyone's tongue, at least at our table.

One thing I disagree with Guy about is I think the crowd was extremely receptive. I'm pretty sure if you were sitting anywhere in the E Spot [[and maybe even downstairs at Vitello's) you could hear me cheering. There were lots of others in front who were shouting encouragement and praise while the ladies were singing. I'm not sure where Guy was sitting [[I don't know him), but everyone around me was totally enthusiastic about the performance. In fact, one of the guys who was sitting at our table [[he was part of a couple who was seated with my friend and I) had a large white handkerchief which he kept pulling out and waving in the air while the ladies were singing! I also saw Charlo Crossley [[who was at the next table) prostrate herself a few times, feigning intense adoration. It was all so much fun!

Thank you ladies for another wonderful evening. God bless!
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-15-2015 at 11:29 AM.