[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks very much for your review, Kenneth. Really enjoyed reading your observations and getting another perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Thanks very much for your review, Kenneth. Really enjoyed reading your observations and getting another perspective.
    Thanks Methuselah2!

What a great review Kenneth! And it was great meeting you there. The show was just amazing. And you and Guy have both captured the magic of the moment in your reviews.

Note: The Ladies were introduced by Fred Bronson and he deserves the credit because he helped make this second appearance happen. I remember him saying right after the first show that he would love to get them booked at Vitello's.

It was odd that there was no encore. But I do remember it being announced several times at the end that "this would be their last song". So maybe there was a reason for that.

LOL!! I blushed a little too at Scherrie's gyrations during her awesome performance of "Crumbs Off The Table"! I thought, Miss Scherrie!! LOL!! The lady knows how to work a crowd. Both of the ladies were just on fire last night!
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 02-15-2015 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks Joseph...I'll correct the spelling of Fred's last name.

Happy to share my review with Soulful Detroit. Thanks for the positive feedback. I was thrilled to see Susaye Greene for the first time. I've seen Scherrie perform with FLOS but was also thrilled to see her in this more intimate setting.

Kenneth, thanks for sharing your review and completing the setlist, I forgot all about "In The Night." I am so pleased that Scherrie and Susaye were getting their due in the front -- I saw the hankerchief waver, I thought that was fabulous! I was sitting way in the back at the banquette against the rear wall. It was called the "VIP" section but it was as far from the stage as one could possibly get. From my vantage point in the back, the crowd was a little more subdued and even talked through some of the numbers.

I'd been to the former Upstairs at Vitello's several times but this was my first time at the ESpot. It is a nice makeover, the stage placement has shifted and the decor is a little more upscale at the ESpot. The room is so cozy and the acoustics are so good there is not a bad seat in the house. I also agree that there were no more than 200 people in attendance. I did not hang around for the meet and greet but I hope I have the opportunity to see Scherrie and Susaye again in the very near future.

P.S. I won't tell you about the conversation at MY table regarding Miss Mary Wilson :-)

No Lynda Laurence? Diana in Beverly Hills recently so I thought she might drop in If not performing. Did the ladies interact with the audience? Did they both sing leads on I'm gonna let my heart..and High Energy?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    No Lynda Laurence? Diana in Beverly Hills recently so I thought she might drop in If not performing. Did the ladies interact with the audience? Did they both sing leads on I'm gonna let my heart..and High Energy?
    High energy is a great song! I heard a clip a while back of Susaye doing a pretty darn good job on it considering the difficulty of replicating the studio sound. She sure has some range!

Sophisticated Soul Kenneth and Guy,you guys gave a great review's,i was there,and i agree mostly with you guys,it was a great show,i loved High Energy tho,the audience,did seem a little layed back,maybe it was where i was sitting lol[[in the front).i loved it,when Scherrie name all the ladies of The Supremes,it would have been nice,had they come back,and sang He's My Man,and yes i saw Mary also early,for me Mary really should have show up,for this show.i'v seen Scherrie,at many of Mary's shows,as much as i love Mary,i feel she should have showed her in the place lol smh

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I'm a little jealous that LA has had two performances and NYC has not had any. May I please add my name to the petition to get the Supremes Partners to a venue in New York City????? So pleased to hear how wonderful the evening was at Vitello's!
    Scherrie & Susaye’s Valentine Eve "Supreme Love" show is IMO tour ready and tour worthy. No question. Tour viability, I’ll have to leave to crunchier minds. But small shows need big support. And this show deserves the support. Friday’s show made their fabulous July show seem like a dry run. The entire production has been honed and perfected to a slick [[compliment) production. It is well timed, well paced, well executed, well choreograhed and all those other well well’s . . . so let’s get to together and go for a walk in the park. But I digress.
    Everything about the show works. The ladies look and sound fabulous. The band was tight and totally in sync backing the ladies, as were the ever lovely Vincent Sisters. The selections were flawless, the arrangements solid, the energy high. This is a show that should be seen, deserves to be seen and beyond that, this is a show that is worth being seen. You will be entertained. DVD documentation would be the next best thing to a tour. Better yet, both!
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 02-15-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Sophisticated Soul Kenneth and Guy,you guys gave a great review's,i was there,and i agree mostly with you guys,it was a great show,i loved High Energy tho,the audience,did seem a little layed back,maybe it was where i was sitting lol[[in the front).i loved it,when Scherrie name all the ladies of The Supremes,it would have been nice,had they come back,and sang He's My Man,and yes i saw Mary also early,for me Mary really should have show up,for this show.i'v seen Scherrie,at many of Mary's shows,as much as i love Mary,i feel she should have showed her in the place lol smh
    I really wonder why Mary was not in attendance also where was Lynda? I've never seen or heard of Lynda at anyone other than Diana Ross's solo engagements. BTW did any of the ladies show up to Mary's gig a month or so ago in LA?

Scherrie and Freda were at Mary's Houston concert in September. It seems that Scherrie and Mary are pretty good friends.

Mary has had a busy weekend with the Walk of Fame honor for HDH, taping the Grammy All Star Tribute to Stevie Wonder and seeing all of those grandchildren!

I wish we could have met you...would have loved to get to know more of us SDF'ers.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Scherrie and Freda were at Mary's Houston concert in September. It seems that Scherrie and Mary are pretty good friends.
    Scherrie gets along with all the Supreme ladies.

Hey Marv,i saw Mary at The Hollywood Walk Of Fame honor for Holland Doizer Holland,early that day,and talked a little with her,and everyone knows,i love me some Mary Wilson,the Mary i know,if Mary wanted to go,she would have went,i'm would love to see Mary support,other former Supremes too,we all need to show love,life is too short,for all of us.

Crystaledwards Guest
    I am certain Mary had a conflict on Friday evening or she would have been in attendance at Scherrie and Susaye's show in Studio City.

We must give Mary the benefit of the doubt Tony.

CE

Crystaledwards Guest
    Hey Marv,i saw Mary at The Hollywood Walk Of Fame honor for Holland Doizer Holland,early that day,and talked a little with her,and everyone knows,i love me some Mary Wilson,the Mary i know,if Mary wanted to go,she would have went,i'm would love to see Mary support,other former Supremes too,we all need to show love,life is too short,for all of us.
    I love you dearly Tony but we just don't know the circumstances that kept Mary going to Vitello's Supper Club this past Friday evening.

CE

Random Reflections on Supreme Love:

Rapport: I loved the interplay between Scherrie & Susaye, especially the comedic. At one point Scherrie announced something before it’s time and mocked herself saying “Now how did I know that!” Susaye: “Because that’s how we rehearsed it!” Priceless!!! Adding six new songs [[all solos) to July’s “Supreme Partners” show allows each lady to shine on her own while at the same time it intensifies their duets, and broadens the show’s overall appeal.

Crumbs Off The Table: I was just out of high school and still 18 when COTT was released. What a stomper! I loved that song the moment I heard it – that voice! And that face! That song began my decade’s long admiration of Scherrie’s body of work. I had hoped she would perform COTT during “Supreme Partners” but that didn’t happen. But it sure happened at Vitello’s Friday night. Scherrie brought COTT back with a vengeance, in a red hot, raucous performance that brought the house down.

Speaking of the house, I agree over all that the crowd was more laid back. But I think that was in large part due to the cramped quarters of the lounge. There just wasn’t the room to make standing ovations, etc., especially if you were in the booths. And like Guy, it surprised me that the ring of booths around the room were considered the VIP seats while the seats on the floor right in front of the stage were considered general admission. I guess that’s how it works in supper clubs. I also agree there were a few too many folks walking around and talking during the show. And the room itself was a bit too warm for my comfort.

Anyway, back to COTT. Scherrie brought down the house and I was 18 all over again. Fabulous! I can now cross “See Scherrie Payne sing “Crumbs Off The Table” live, live, live” off my bucket list! Thank you Scherrie!

Susaye’s voice: As stated by others here, it does in fact seem that Susaye’s voice is defying the natural laws. Her gift is as powerful as ever, maybe even more so really. A number of times she had to back away from the mic, her delivery so strong and powerful. Her renditions of “Alfie” “My Funny Valentine” and “Until It’s Time For You To Go” beg, scream and shout for a standards-type project. Susaye did say she plans to record “My Funny Valentine”. Maybe that will lead to a standards project. That would be awesome!

Thank you all for the reviews I sure all of the fans wish they could have been there. The pics oh my gosh they look so young!

supremester Guest
    I wanted to be there, but I was seeing Miss Ross that night. I will def make their next!

So Scherrie is doing these shows plus touring with the FLOS in Florida???

Kenneth, Guy, and Sophisticated Soul - Glad to hear you had what sounds like the time of your lives. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos and exciting reviews! It's the next-best thing to being there. - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Kenneth, Guy, and Sophisticated Soul - Glad to hear you had what sounds like the time of your lives. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos and exciting reviews! It's the next-best thing to being there. - Gary
    Thanks Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thanks Gary!
    Yes, and Thank You to everyone who has participated in or viewed this thread. There is a lot of love out there for Scherrie & Susaye! I sincerely hope many more of you will be able to have the wonderful experience of seeing them perform live!

Random Reflections on Supreme Love - Part Two

Encore: My thoughts are a mixture of some of the ideas already put forth. If I were King of the Forest [[not queen, not duke, not prince) I would close the show with a one-two punch of IGLMHDTW and He’s My Man. Then do High Energy as the encore. I think the jam/extended nature of the song would lend itself well to thank yous, band introductions and crowd control.

Meet and Greet: Was fun, I spoke with both ladies briefly but the room was noisy and it was hard to converse. The ladies were very gracious in accommodating requests for autographs and photos. They were fun to be around and really seemed to be enjoying themselves. CD’s, art prints and other items were available. I picked up a copy of “Brave New Shoes” which Susaye signed. I had brought my copy of “The Final Sessions” with me and they both signed it. No photographs this time [[Scherrie said I had used up my allotment of one, and Susaye said I was too freakishly tall).

Here’s To Life: Although Shirley Horn had released this song a few years earlier, I first heard it by Eartha Kitt on her wonderful 1994 album “Back In Business”. At 67 Kitt’s haunting interpretation was from experience not projection. There is often something very unique, a very poignant reality that an aging voice can bring to lyrics about the passing of time. This in turn can deepen the intensity of the emotion of the song for the aging listener - when lyric becomes life.

Scherrie’s beautiful performance of this classic song was totally unexpected and very moving to me. In one song she took me back to when I was 18 and in another rocked the reality of my own aging - the retrospective-only understanding of just how quickly so many years can pass. The reality check of less time left on clock can be unsettling, even frightening, individually or collectively.

But the shared experience can be soothing and reassuring as well, especially through a song. A song can be a beautiful reminder and affirmation of life yet to be lived. The artists in our lives, those that we choose to make magical, can positively confirm our reality, as we age together. Especially the ones we have opened our hearts to for many years.

Scherrie & Susaye - Thank You for a most memorable evening. Here’s to life! –JOsEph

Miss Payne, Miss Payne! with "Crumbs Off The Table"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp_E...ature=youtu.be Happy weekend. Enjoy; love from Susaye and Scherrie

Quote Originally Posted by thelastsupreme View Post
    Miss Payne, Miss Payne! with "Crumbs Off The Table"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp_E...ature=youtu.be Happy weekend. Enjoy; love from Susaye and Scherrie
    I've been waiting for this Thank You Susaye

Yes! Yes! Yes! What a fantastic surprise! Thank you both so much for posting this! Oh my goodness, I just love it!

Great clip! I'm at the same table and right behind the guy in the red jacket who sometimes waves his handkerchief. But I'm totally out of the light. Alas! My one chance at immortality!!!

How do you two look and sound so young? Its like 1976 never left.