[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes on The Highlights of Ice Capades 1968

I heard that they appeared there in 1968, this is really new to me! Can anyone tell me, what The Supremes did on Ice Capades, what the dresses they wore, or anything about this?

The ice capades was in 67 one of flo's last appearance

The Video of this exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    The Video of this exists?
    Unfortunately I have never heard of surviving footage, much less it being taped at all. I've never even seen photos surface of the event.

Oh... That's a shame, so sad...

It was the Ice Capades of '67. It aired on NBC, but it's unknown if NBC erased the special or still has it in their vaults. NBC had a policy of wiping old programs to reuse tapes. If they could erase most of the 60's Tonight Shows, I highly doubt they would have kept the Ice Capades show. Here's a printed promo from the show of the ladies with Jimmy Dean and Jimmy Durante.
    Name:  Ice Capades '67.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  33.1 KB
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 01-02-2015 at 07:16 PM.

^ That is the only photo of the event I've ever seen. I would like to point out, however, how slender Florence looks, considering all that's been said about her during this time.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    It was the Ice Capades of '67. It aired on NBC, but it's unknown if NBC erased the special or still has it in their vaults. NBC had a policy of wiping old programs to reuse tapes. If they could erase most of the 60's Tonight Shows, I highly doubt they would have kept the Ice Capades show. Here's a printed promo from the show of the ladies with Jimmy Dean and Jimmy Durante.
    Name:  Ice Capades '67.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  33.1 KB
    Thank you so much!! I never see this before!

supremester Guest
    This aired Feb 13, 1967 and, like most specials, was probably taped 3-6 months prior. There's no question that Flo had weight issues during her tenure - she's too big on Andy Williams and looks like hell on Ed Sullivan The Happening. Her use of diet pills with alcohol allowed for quick weight loss and quick gaining and severe mood swings. I can speak from experience how fast some people can gain and lose with/without amphetamines. She looked sensational in Nov on Ed Sullivan.
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    ^ That is the only photo of the event I've ever seen. I would like to point out, however, how slender Florence looks, considering all that's been said about her during this time.

[QUOTE=supremester;265588]This aired Feb 13, 1967 and, like most specials, was probably taped 3-6 months prior. There's no question that Flo had weight issues during her tenure - she's too big on Andy Williams and looks like hell on Ed Sullivan The Happening. Her use of diet pills with alcohol allowed for quick weight loss and quick gaining and severe mood swings. I can speak from experience how fast some people can gain and lose with/without amphetamines. She looked sensational in Nov on Ed Sullivan.[/QUOTE

also if you noticed that when she returned to the lineup in may, the bulk of what the girls wore were the fre flowing chiffon gowns as apposed to the tight fitting ones

Supremester I think you're right about it being taped months in advance because I seem to recall hearing that they performed "You can't hurry love" on that special as opposed to their more recent hits.

were the Supremes on ice skates? lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    were the Supremes on ice skates? lol
    I bet if they wore the pink chiffon gowns they could pull it off and look fabulous doing it

The booklet in the "The Supremes Sing H-D-H Expanded Edition" contains an advertisement for the Ice Capades special taken from the Detroit TV guide that week. It was a larger picture which I cut out to use in an art class collage and I never saw it again until my CD arrived. Name:  Supremes Ice Capades 1967 red sequins.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  63.6 KB

Flo skated past Diana to get up front then Diana went to trip her and tripped Mary instead! The wigs went flying!

Here’s the art work for the Chicago version of TV Guide promoting the Jimmy Durante and The Supremes appearance.

I think that I see one small error!! LOL LOL

Name:  AA75C9D8-4166-498A-9109-8093789799DD.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  20.7 KB

Perhaps it was when Diana was still saying Flo and Cindy both In group!

I remember the show. The Supremes lipsynched Stop! from the Copa lp and then You Can't Hurry Love in the red gowns. Then a number with Jimmy. Just before this they were on a float in the Orange Bowl parade mouthing You Can't Hurry Love I think wearing those same gowns