[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey Robinson Full Special 1970

I remember this special and I remember thinking at the time why didn't they wait until Pete was well to record this.

1) Was Claudette not a part of the Miracles any more by this point? Funny that he wouldn't have included his then-wife for such a high-profile television special. And where is Marv Tarplin?

2) Does anyone know who the ladies of "Wonderlove" [[?) are?

3) WHY is Mary wearing that green dress, LOL. What worked for Diana as lead, doesn't work for Mary as a Supreme. Or was that her way of saying "I'm an original."

4) I question why they [[with Smokey) would have performed "Someday." By the time this special aired, the song was almost a year old. Does anyone know when this was taped? Hadn't "EGTRTL" been released yet? "Someday" just seems like an odd choice, as it was Diana's "swan song."

I think that the Supreme's should have dropped "Someday we'll be together" from their act.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    1) Was Claudette not a part of the Miracles any more by this point? Funny that he wouldn't have included his then-wife for such a high-profile television special. And where is Marv Tarplin?

I believe that she was pregnant, and having experienced difficulties in her previous pregnancies, it was deemed best that she not participate. Pete Moore had recently suffered a leg injury. It has been written that Marv Tarplin stayed off camera but participated.

3) WHY is Mary wearing that green dress, LOL. What worked for Diana as lead, doesn't work for Mary as a Supreme. Or was that her way of saying "I'm an original."
    When Jean joined the Supremes, Mary was the only Supreme who could fit into Diana's green dress, Jean was able to fit into Mary's blue.

4) I question why they [[with Smokey) would have performed "Someday." By the time this special aired, the song was almost a year old. Does anyone know when this was taped? Hadn't "EGTRTL" been released yet? "Someday" just seems like an odd choice, as it was Diana's "swan song."
    For EGTRTL listen at 1:13-1:23.
    As regards Somedy, perhaps it was a way of showing that Jean fit in as a Supreme. She could tackle the [[DR-led) Supremes last hit single and make it her own in performance with Mary, Cindy & Smokey.

IMO it wasn't a matter of who could sing what. "Someday" was a special song. It was a swan song, it was a declaration, a statement, a promise, it was the end of an era. They should have retired this song.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Claudette only sang on the songs but didnt preform.
    If you look closely, you can see Lynda behind Stevie. I believe Lynda's sister was there too.
    I thought we've been thru the reason Mary wore the green suit lol. Mostly because she is the smallest one that could fit into it.
    As far as Someday, couldnt tell you why they picked that.

I loved The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean singing Someday We'll Be Together,along with Smokey Robinson,i think they sound great together.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    IMO it wasn't a matter of who could sing what. "Someday" was a special song. It was a swan song, it was a declaration, a statement, a promise, it was the end of an era. They should have retired this song.
    Everyboys got the right should have been performed instead of sdwbt, was linda on the show as a wonderlove 2nd from the left. A great show great to see it again.

I recognize two of the Blackberries as Stevie's backing group. The lady in the long Yellow gown with short hair is Veneeta Fields [[she also backed Aretha when she sang "Rock Steady on Flip Wilson and more) and Clydie King is on the far right [[Check her out behind Linda Ronstadt on the Midnight Special singing "You're No Good"). The lady directly behind Stevie [[with the Afro) might be Sundray Tucker though I'm not 100% sure. Venetta has a distinct look. Clydie always moved/danced a lot on stage. I'm sure someone on here knows who the others are.
    Last edited by soulballad; 01-03-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Along with some of the other ladies that have already been named, I think I recognize Gloria Jones and Syreeta amongst Stevie's backup singers.

I'm assuming that Mary wore green because she could fit into Diana's outfit. Although it was interesting that for the closing medley, Jean seemed to be wearing Diana's outfit with no visible problem.

Re SOMEDAY, I think they performed it because it was a recent hit. They had already given a line to their current release EGTRTL at the beginning of the show. If the taping had been just a few months later, they could have had both STONED LOVE, RIVER DEEP..., and TEARS OF A CLOWN included in the show.

I think that is Syreeta next to Venetta with the head band.

It's too bad this is not HD and on DVD...I'd love to own this. Cindy Birdsong,my,my,my....

i've never seen the opening before. great call out to their first single. anyone have any idea as to when this was taped? obviously 1970 but what month?

and what did Fran Jefferies have to do with this? why was she included??

found this on youtube - its the ABC promo ad for the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHErT_1GuKs

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've never seen the opening before. great call out to their first single. anyone have any idea as to when this was taped? obviously 1970 but what month?

and what did Fran Jefferies have to do with this? why was she included??
    Looking at release dates for some of the most recent singles performed in the show, I think it was taped between July and October of 1970.

I assume Fran Jeffries was included to pull in another audience, as Kate Stevens was on the previous year's Tempts' special. Jeffries [[I believe) was known for starring in one of the PINK PANTHER movies and probably was successful in night clubs.

i remember reading that Everybody was recorded just prior to the release of Right On. they quickly added it to that lp. perhaps they always intended it to be a single and the girls did the little intro of it on Smokey simply because they hadn't had time yet to get it orchestrated for live performances yet.

The date I have reese is 8th. September 1970.