[REMOVE ADS]

alanbill1074 Guest

Stevie Wonder SACDs

My new amp just arrived [[Marantz PM11S3) and I am sat here listening to the original US CD pressing of Stevie's Original Musiquarium, which is one of the best Hits collections ever. Whenever I want to listen to a new piece of kit it's one of my go-to records for the high fidelity sound. It reminded me about my ongoing intention to pick up the SACDs.

I've not yet bought any of Stevie's Japanese SACD re-issues due to the price, although they have been recently re-issued, which has brought the price down a little.

Given how good the original 80s pressings sound on CD, is there much of a difference in audio quality? Anyone any experience?

alanbill1074 Guest
    86 views and no one has any thoughts or opinions? Wow.

Anyway I found some online reviews of some of the SACDs and their quality if anyone is interested:

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/6842

Consensus seems to be there is an improvement in the sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    My new amp just arrived [[Marantz PM11S3) and I am sat here listening to the original US CD pressing of Stevie's Original Musiquarium, which is one of the best Hits collections ever. Whenever I want to listen to a new piece of kit it's one of my go-to records for the high fidelity sound. It reminded me about my ongoing intention to pick up the SACDs.

I've not yet bought any of Stevie's Japanese SACD re-issues due to the price, although they have been recently re-issued, which has brought the price down a little.

Given how good the original 80s pressings sound on CD, is there much of a difference in audio quality? Anyone any experience?
    I have no experience with the SACD, but I have the hi-rez version downloaded from HD Tracks that puts the 80s CD and the 2000 remastered to shame. That's true for all of the 80s and 2000 remastered CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    86 views and no one has any thoughts or opinions? Wow.
    On this forum? They are happy with the lesser-sounding CDs and mp3s.

I'm into DVD-Audio, SACD, Blu Ray concerts and High Rez downloads. I always wondered why Stevie had so many SACDs out in comparison to other Motown artist. Marvin Gaye has a couple and I can't recall anyone else though I'm sure there has to be other artist.

As for comparing them to Red Book CDs, there is enough difference for me to choose the higher resolution in most cases [[there are some inferior SACD etc. out there). To me, it's like opening a door versus listening with the door closed. The sound is fuller and free. I wish more Motown artist like the Temps, Mary Wells and The Marvelettes had some high rez music out there not to mention more Philly stuff. I'd love to be able to listen to the music arranged by Tom Bell for The Stylistics without technical limitations.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Thanks for the responses guys. Delivered today was almost the entire Ross set of SHM reissues so I'll likely pick up the Stevie albums next in the new year. Am sure they will be worth it.

Hopefully Universal will put out a few more SACDs from Motown acts next year. They seem to be still interested in the format.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I'm into DVD-Audio, SACD, Blu Ray concerts and High Rez downloads. I always wondered why Stevie had so many SACDs out in comparison to other Motown artist. Marvin Gaye has a couple and I can't recall anyone else though I'm sure there has to be other artist.

As for comparing them to Red Book CDs, there is enough difference for me to choose the higher resolution in most cases [[there are some inferior SACD etc. out there). To me, it's like opening a door versus listening with the door closed. The sound is fuller and free. I wish more Motown artist like the Temps, Mary Wells and The Marvelettes had some high rez music out there not to mention more Philly stuff. I'd love to be able to listen to the music arranged by Tom Bell for The Stylistics without technical limitations.
    I was all over SACD back in 2001. Even my wife was crazy about it. It sounded great, and superior to any CD or vinyl. However, Sony fucked it all up by charging manufacturers to use the chip in their products, and there were licensing nightmares, and the format is nothing more than a niche now. Today, i'm into PCM hi-rez downloads, as it is the future of audio.