4. 'This Old Heart of Mine' - originally by The Isley Brothers
    5. 'Just My Imagination' - originally by The Temptations
    6. 'Higher and Higher' - originally by Jackie Wilson
    7. 'I'm Doin' Fine Now' - originally by New York City
    8. 'Reach Out [[I'll Be There)' - originally by The Four Tops
    9. 'The Tears of a Clown' - originally by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
    10. 'Wherever I Lay My Hat' - originally by Marvin Gaye
    11. 'What Christmas Means to Me' - originally by Stevie Wonder

I doubt if any of the members of BOYZONE would agree with your description of them as being a "UK band" Jack020 ... they are all from Dublin, which is in The Republic of Ireland! This is a bit like describing CELINE DION as being from The USA.

I heard about this forthcoming CD a month or so back and couldn't help but think it was strange that these Irish lads consider "I'm Doing Fine Now" by NEW YORK CITY to be a "Motown" recording. I can just about accept "Higher And Higher" by JACKIE WILSON as "Motown", as many of Motown's session musicians and singers played or sang on it, but "I'm Doing Fine Now" .... No Way!!

Roger

Hi Roger,the moment I posted I thought they are from Dublin, not England but did not have the time to correct as I was at work this morning.
    Thanks for correcting me!

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I heard about this forthcoming CD a month or so back and couldn't help but think it was strange that these Irish lads consider "I'm Doing Fine Now" by NEW YORK CITY to be a "Motown" recording. I can just about accept "Higher And Higher" by JACKIE WILSON as "Motown", as many of Motown's session musicians and singers played or sang on it, but "I'm Doing Fine Now" .... No Way!!

Roger
    Roger, I was thinking the same thing about NYC's "I'm Doing Fine Now''. I guess Boyzone's new CD should be titled "From Dublin To Detroit Via Philly"! - Gary

Well if The Supremes were still in 1964 mode, they might have reversed the roles and done a Boyzone/boy band themed album [[a la Liverpool - and let's face it "Bits and Pieces" and "House Of The Rising Sun" were hardly Liverpool anyway lol so there can be no complaints).

By now, of course, it could be "We Remember Boyzone" or that other comeback band "Take That". I know the later Supremes covered "Love Train" [[not great in my view though) but perhaps a Supremes in Philadelphia album would have been good - if produced by Gamble and Huff.

But given the Irish connection with Boyzone, perhaps the ultimate would have been The Supremes perform with The Abbey Tavern Singers in Dublin - "From Detroit To Dublin"?

Isn't this the second foreign boy band that has done a tribute to Motown with the group "Human Nature" of Austraila being the first and most known?

Last edited by marv2; 11-29-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Here we have Boyzone performing 'Reach Out, I'll Be There"

.Human Nature - "Reach Out I'll Be There "

Then there is the ultimate! The masters, the originators.........THE FOUR TOPS!

Boyzone were on the Jonathan Ross show the other week performing The Tracks Of My Tears - absolutely awful, I thought.

Thumbs down Boy Zone doing Motown

Ewwwwww. That Reach Out clip is a disgrace.

Thanks for posting Marv. Didn't Mary tour with Human Nature for a while? These guys seem to put 100% in their act. I will email you hopefully in the next day or two.
    Thanks

Is the only Diana Ross song anyone dares cover You Can't Hurry Love? And the same for the Tops Reach Out I'll Be There? Enough, especially of You Can't Hurry Love. They don't have the balls for You Keep Me Hangin On or Someday We'll Be Together.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks for posting Marv. Didn't Mary tour with Human Nature for a while? These guys seem to put 100% in their act. I will email you hopefully in the next day or two.
    Thanks
    Yes both Mary Wilson and Smokey Robinson have performed with Human Nature, as well as, recorded with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Is the only Diana Ross song anyone dares cover You Can't Hurry Love? And the same for the Tops Reach Out I'll Be There? Enough, especially of You Can't Hurry Love. They don't have the balls for You Keep Me Hangin On or Someday We'll Be Together.
    You Can't Hurry Love is not a Diana Ross song.....it is a Supremes song!

Quote Originally Posted by sgianatos View Post
    Ewwwwww. That Reach Out clip is a disgrace.
    I am trying to understand why are they doing this? If what
    I witnessed from the one clip is true, they don't appear to a feeling or even an understanding of the music they are attempting to perform.

smark21 Guest
    My understanding is that Human Nature was always meant to be a Motown tribute group and they do a good job putting the music across and performing their show.

Boyzone is a boy band that is somehow managing to carry on; this Motown album of theirs is obviously a cash in for the Xmas season. I don't think they ever became big in North America, unlike UK Boy Band [[and a lot younger in age) One Direction, who have yet to go the covers album route.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am trying to understand why are they doing this? If what I witnessed from the one clip is true, they don't appear to a feeling or even an understanding of the music they are attempting to perform.
    Marv2 .. this is more a re-union collection as the group hadn't recorded together in over a decade [[seems they have had a few releases after reforming a few years back but I can't say I recall them). They were HUGE in the U.K. in the 1990s and some of the individual members have had successful careers in entertainment and have remained in the public eye since the group split, so there has been some clamouring for a reunion.

I would agree that they don't do a good job with "Reach Out" but then I don't think that their appeal in the 1990s had much to do with their vocal abilities.

They were originally recruited by Irish promoter LOUIS WALSH to be Ireland's answer to TAKE THAT [[a hugely popular British "Boy Band") and I think the main criteria for inclusion included being a wholesome boy-next-door type and being able to put together a few dance moves.

The original line-up of the group shot to fame in Ireland following this debut appearance on an Irish Talk-Show ....

I think all here would agree that this was a faultless vocal performance from the lads ....

Roger
    Last edited by roger; 12-02-2014 at 08:19 AM.

As if to prove that Boyzone’s time has been and gone, the album made #14 on the chart this week, which will no doubt be its peak.

As such it is the first Boyzone album to fail to make the Top Ten since B Sides And Rarities in 2008.