[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Motown covers that upstaged the original artists

Since Motown frequently rerecorded its songs, are there any where you feel the cover surpasses the original recording? A few that come to mind are Leaving Here by the Isley Brothers [[originally recorded by Eddie Holland), Marvin Gaye's Baby Don't You Do It by the Isley Brothers and the awesome Stevie Wonder cover from '67, and Put Yourself In My Place by the Supremes as well as the Isley Brothers [[originally recorded by the Elgins in '65).

Dianas "Reach Out I'll Be There" not the single edit - the album version it just builds up and the vocals soar and Paul did an amazing job with the orchestra...

Yvonne Fair It Should Have Been Me beats out Kim Weston and Gladys Knight & The Pips in my humble view...Paulu XXX

Eddie Holland's "Leaving Here" is one of my all-time favorite records, so I don't agree that the Isley Brothers' version is better.

Give me Wanda & The Andantes [[Officially The Marvelettes, of course) A Breath Taking Guy, over The Supremes, any day..Paulo XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Yvonne Fair It Should Have Been Me beats out Kim Weston and Gladys Knight & The Pips in my humble view...Paulu XXX
    One of the few Motown covers that I believe does surpass the original.

I would also say Diana's version of "Reach Out" for its bridge near the end. Ashford & Simpson gave that remake a dramatic makeover. Went from being a simple up-tempo soulful groove into a gospel-inspired version almost.

I loved Marvin's take of "End of the Road" over Gladys Knight & the Pips and his version of "How Can I Forget You" over the Temptations [[might be blasphemy on the latter but hey, I'm biased lol).

Michael Jackson's version of "With a Child's Heart" surpasses Stevie's.

The Supremes' version of "Till Johnny Comes" is WAY better than Brenda Holloway's original. Brenda's version puts me to sleep.

I may be the only one who thinks this, but I think the Fantastic Four's version of "Just Another Lonely Night" is better than the Temptations' original.

Again I may be the only one who think this, but I think the Originals' version of "Why When Love Is Gone" was better than the Isley Brothers' version.

Although I love Kim Weston, her original version of "Marionette" was pitchy at points. The Marvelettes handled it much better.

Connie Haines' version of "What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One" had this perfect slow groove to it. Mary Wells' version was too churchy sounding with the organ.

I'm not sure which version was recorded first, but Billy Gordon's lead on "Baby Hit And Run" was ten times better than Dennis Edwards' lead. Although Dennis Edwards is one of the greatest soul singers ever, Billy Gordon adds this rough and raw performance that fit the song perfectly. Plus the Contours & Andantes background vocals on the Billy Gordon lead was better.

Barbara McNair's version of "Oh Be My Love" outshines Smokey & the Miracles' original. Her version was perfect.

The Supremes' version of "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" is better than the Spinners' original. The Spinners' original was too slow. The Supremes' version had the right upbeat feel to it that was needed.

Comparing Diana's version of "Reach Out, I'll Be There" to the Four Tops' original is like comparing apples to oranges. They're really two different songs with two different meanings. The Four Tops' original is a song of encouragement. Diana's version is a song of uplifting love and motivation.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 11-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.

I love Thelma Houstons version of Reach Out Ill Be There, but in a disco concept., and THAT voice. 4TOPS forever on that one. Yet I love what Val and Nick did with Diana. San Remo Golden Strings is quite good too if your into that Northern Soul thing. Sorry, I cant name a fav on this one. LOVE em all..Paulo XXXX

Another one.I DO prefer the Supremes and Four Tops version of Reach Out & Touch over Diana. Just feel Jean sits just right on the song. And when Levi comes in..Well. Im Hooked. Diana, well, I like it, but, well, it is a bit boring [[sorry).....Paulo XXXX

I aways had a soft spot for Jermaines My Cherie..when it breaks down into that doo wopstyle vocal acapella in the middle I just melt..

papa was a rolling stone the temptations of course covered the undisputed truth

grapevine marvin gaye after bobby taylor,gladys knight etc.

cloud nine temps again after.. edwin starr,gladys and marvin gaye

None of the following were the original Motown versions but I prefer them. Some of course remained in the vaults until recently.

Title - Cover Artist/Original Artist

It Should Have Been Me - Yvonne Fair/Kim Weston
    I Got A Feeling - Barbara Randolph/Four Tops
    Love Woke Me Up This Morning - Brenda Holloway/Valerie Simpson
    My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me) - Kiki Dee/David Ruffin
    From Head To Toe - Chris Clark/Miracles
    Sweeter As The Days Go By - Chris Clark/Four Tops
    More Love - Barbara McNair/Miracles
    My Heart - Tammi Terrell/Carolyn Crawford
    Never Can Say Goodbye - Supremes/J5
    Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While) - Kim Weston/Eddie Holland
    [[Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need - Temptations/Eddie Holland
    Oh Be My Love - Supremes/Miracles
    Smiling Faces Sometimes - Undisputed Truth/Temptations
    Helpless - Kim Weston/Four Tops
    Stop! In The Name Of Love - Kim Weston/Supremes
    He Was Really Saying Something - Marvelettes/Velvelettes
    The Boy From Crosstown - Marvelettes/Velvelettes
    Someday We'll Be Together - Marvelettes/Johnny & Jackie or DRATS
    Way Over There - Marvelettes/Miracles
    The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other) - Marvelettes/Miracles
    Marionette - Marvelettes/Kim Weston
    After All - Marvelettes/Miracles
    Here I Am Baby - Marvelettes/Barbara McNair
    What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One - Marvelettes/Mary Wells
    The Stranger - Marvelettes/Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Midnight Johnny - Connie Haines/Liz Lands
    I Wish It Would Rain - Gladys Knight & The Pips/Temptations
    Everybody Needs Love - Gladys Knight & The Pips/Mary Wells
    A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush) - Gladys Knight & The Pips/Velvelettes
    Just Too Much To Hope For - Tammi Terrell/Monitors
    This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You) - Tammi Terrell/Isley Brothers
    Keep An Eye - Diana Ross/DRATS
    I Want You Back - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas/J5
    Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things) - Martha & The Vandellas/Kim Weston
    Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back) - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas/Carolyn Crawford
    Tear It On Down - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas/Marvin Gaye
    I've Been Good To You - Brenda Holloway/Miracles
    When I'm Gone - Brenda Holloway/Mary Wells
    I'll Always Love You - Blinky/Brenda Holloway
    Money [[That's What I Want) - Blinky/Barrett Strong
    I'm Glad You Belong To Me - Blinky & Edwin Starr/Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    We'll Find A Way - Blinky & Edwin Starr/Chuck Jackson
    Every Time I See You I Go Wild - Stevie Wonder/JJ Barnes
    Everything Is Good About You - Barbara McNair/Supremes
    How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You) - Jr Walker/Marvin Gaye
    Stay In My Lonely Arms - Elgins/Four Tops
    Too Busy Thinking About My Baby - Jimmy Ruffin/Temptations
    War - Edwin Starr/Temptations
    Your Heart Belongs To Me - Velvelettes/Supremes
    Your Love Is Amazing - Shorty Long/Four Tops
    Last edited by copley; 11-14-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added names of original artists

Wanda Rogers' version of After All surpasses the original by the Miracles and the Supremes' remake.

Much preferred Undisputed Truth's Smiling Faces Sometimes to the Tempts.

This won't be liked by the hardcore fans out there but for much of the world, Diana's Ain't No Mountain High Enough upstaged Marvin and Tammi's; although many people probably don't even know it is the same song and it is like comparing plums to peaches.

Copley, glad to see you mentioned the Four Tops' version of Helpless...I think I'm tied between Kim Weston and the Four Tops on that one. On another note, I found the Elgins' cover of Wilson Pickett's "In The Midnight Hour" to be interesting, if not my favorite version [[I enjoyed hearing Motown artists record an Atlantic song).

You know, I think Kim Weston's "Stop In the Name Of Love" buries the Supremes version. now, the Doobie Brother's version of "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While)" was GOOD... it was not as good as Kim's original, but it was in her rearview mirror. And sorry, Mary... but Vikki Carr's version of "I Keep It Hid" is better. We all know, of course, the Supremes don't have the original on that song... but you can hear a sample of Vikki's version here... track 5:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...FSuperstar.htm

Last edited by jillfoster; 11-14-2010 at 01:17 AM.

^ Hell the Isleys' version buries the Supremes' version.

I never thought I would say this but I like the Supremes version of Ill turn to Stone better than the Tops and that is the only Four Tops cover I like better.

Although mary wells recorded it first[what love has joined]belongs to the temps!

i always preferred Jimmy Ruffins version of "everybody needs love" over Gladys Knight...more Motowny if you know what i mean....
    Last edited by platters81; 11-14-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I never thought I would say this but I like the Supremes version of Ill turn to Stone better than the Tops and that is the only Four Tops cover I like better.
    BLASPHEMY! LMAO j/k

Midnightman is spot-on...maybe it's just my Isley Brothers fetish speaking here, but I think their covers of Stop! In the Name of Love and Nowhere to Run are truly awesome.

I prefer the Supremes version of Shake Me Wake over the 4 Tops.

I like Barbara McNair's version of "My World Is Empty" a little better than the Supremes version. the Supremes version has a killer instrumental track, but Diana Ross' high, chipper voice is totally wrong for a song with such dark and melancholy lyrics. Mary would have sung that better.

topdiva1 Guest
    Kim Weston's Stop In The Name Of Love - drags and is boring - not on the level of The Supremes - good but no cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Kim Weston's Stop In The Name Of Love - drags and is boring - not on the level of The Supremes - good but no cigar.
    I LOVE the slowness of it, and the light from Kim's voice would take 10,000 years to reach diana Ross.

The Marvelettes' version of "I Want a Guy" better than the Supremes' version.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The Marvelettes' version of "I Want a Guy" better than the Supremes' version.
    I think anybody's version of that song is better than the Supremes.

smark21 Guest
    Another vote for Shake Me Wake Me being done better by The Supremes.

Some others:

The Marvelettes' versions of A Breathtaking Guy and I Want a Guy originally by the Supremes.

The Velvelettes version of "Your Heart Belongs to Me" originally by the Supremes

The Jackson 5 version of "Forever Came Today" originally by the Supremes

And I actually prefer Junior Walker's version of How Sweet It Is over Marvin Gaye's.

the 45 version of "my weakness is you" by Edwin Starr.....the alt version of the 45 on the Soul Master lp is even better..
    Last edited by platters81; 11-15-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Junior Walker's Love Hangover is pretty awesome, too...

ladonna Guest
    I might be laughed out of the Forum for this, but Mary Wilson's Come and Get These Memories over Martha's..

*taking cover*

Ladona I'm not laughing I feel the same way. Infact I heard the Supremes version first

ladonna Guest
    Phew! LOL!

The best version of I Want A Guy is the solo version by Diana Ross released this year.............perhaps it qualifies as a cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ladonna View Post
    i might be laughed out of the forum for this, but mary wilson's come and get these memories over martha's..

*taking cover*
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..that's me laughing you out of the forum for this,nobody sings[come and get these memories better than martha]of course you have the right to your opinion,now having said that...back to laughing you out of the forum ,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...!

miss_lish Guest
    And let the debate begin:

I think I prefer Martha's version; it was a little rougher; the Supremes may have been more palatable for that time period. However there is a reason this song wasn't a big hit ~ there really isn't a strong hook or strong refrain that is catchy. This is no Jimmy Mack or I'm Ready For Love; it is more in the vein of My Baby Loves Me but My Baby Loves Me was a much stronger song musically.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    and let the debate begin:

what debate,haaaaaaaaaaa it ain't no contest like i said nooooooobody can sing this song like martha&the vandellas!!

smark21 Guest
    I prefer Martha and the Vandellas version of Come and Get These Memories mostly because the song was cut for them to be a potential A side so more effort and probably time was invested into the instrumentation, arrangement and performance. I like Mary's smooth vocal on the song, but overall the Supremes version sounds like it was put together very quickly as filler material was needed. Perhaps if more time and effort was invested in The Supremes version it could stand up well to Martha and the Vandellas' version?

There's no context. Martha wins in a walk-over!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    There's no contest. Martha wins in a walk-over!
    Absolutely!

Ok,who lovin you by the jackson 5 is a slightly better version than smokey's original..and heck i might get laughed off the forum for this but[drumroll]am i the only one here who likes the temps and supremes version of-i second that emotion a teeny weeny bit better than smokey's...ok let's not have all of you laugh at once...i can't believe i just sat here and typed that i like twq covers of smokey songs over his version...i need help...[the hooch is on the second shelf from the top]!!!

David Ruffin's version of "I Want You Back" was better than the Jackson 5's original.

Reasons: 1.) David Ruffin's vocals are killer. 2.) The Funk Brothers, enough said.

I Cant Give Back The Love I feel For You..Diana Ross is my fav over Rita Wright or Diahann Carroll
    I Want To Go Back There Again..Chris Clark over Thelma Houston
    Heavem Must Have Sent You..The Elgins over Bonnie Pointer
    Ma..Temptations just beats out Rare Earth for me. Undisputed Truth is good too.
    Loads more..Paulo XXXX

Hello All ..

Have to go along with Arr&bee .. I too prefer the J5 version of "Who's loving You" and the SUPREMES/TEMPTATIONS version of "I Second That Emotion" to the SMOKEY ROBINSON/MIRACLES originals .. now where is my hooch??

Also .. I prefer the VELVELETTES "Lonely Lonely Girl Am I" to JIMMY RUFFINS original "Lonely Lonely Man Am I".

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Much preferred Undisputed Truth's Smiling Faces Sometimes to the Tempts.
    Me too.

The Undisputed Truth's version of The Temptations, You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth is my favourite song, of all time.

Put Yourself In My Place is interesting because it was done four times that I know of--Elgins, Supremes, Isleys, and
    Chris Clark.
    Mary Wells' original of Everybody Needs Love is better than the Temps [[who back up Mary on her's) and
    Gladys Knight & Pips versions.
    Marvelettes version, led by Gladys, of "Barefootin'" is better than the Robert Parker [[non-Motown) original.

RossHolloway Guest
    Born to Love You by the Isley Brothers is better than the Temps version, and I love the Temps version. I was blown away by the Isley Brothers version of this song.

Found a few other interesting Motown versions on that Vikky Carr album: IfIWereYourWoman [[Gladys), Mountain [[Diana), ICan'tGiveBackTheLoveIFeelForYou [[Syreeta/Diana)...
    Last edited by robbert; 12-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.