[REMOVE ADS]

Paul Williams of the Temptations [[Tribute)

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but what an amazing video, He was less known than, David, Eddie, Dennis and even Melvin, but what a performance...since I saw The miniseries, always how hurting and in that song ''For Once In My Life'' incredible performance both in the minseries and on TCB.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27nfFYUZAM8

Less known?i don't think so,paul was the best dancer so he became the temps chorographer before cholly ackins worked with them,paul also sang lead on the early hits[such as they were]...slow down heart..oh mother of mine..just let me know..tearstained letter,all temps fans know the name paul williams..even to this day the way they move..paul gave em that.

Paul Williams was what the Temptations were all about in my opinion. Great vocals, excellent showmanship, an all around entertainer.

Paul was a friend of mine...I remember first meeting him outside Smokey's house where I lived right down the street. Paul always welcomed me and a friend or two at the Tempts shows and would bring us into the dressing room to hang out with the guys, including The Roostertail where they recorded the Live album. Paul sending me to the bar to get him a scotch and whatever me and my buddy wanted...I was 16 and I would order whiskey sours LOL. He always gave me advice about the music business...even of I disagreed with him, like telling me that I would do better playing with other white guys instead of doing R&B...told me that was where the money was, and to think that Sly & The Family Stone, etc would hit just a couple of years later...Ran into Paul and had lunch with him at Biffs on W Grand Blvd shortly before his tragic death...He didn't look real good, but told me he was working on a solo project. Wasn't much later that I learned about his death. Paul would always take me around and introduce me as "StuPid" and we'd both crack up... truly wonderful guy. Wish he were still here...

Thanks stu,i knew that you would have some good info on paul.

Great story Stu and thanks for sharing it.

You're welcome. Despite what we learned about his personal problems...Paul was a 100% real guy...

Quote Originally Posted by stubass1 View Post
    you're welcome. Despite what we learned about his personal problems...paul was a 100% real guy...
    and you know stu,his talent is all that matters...paul williams-and original temptation forever!

Without a doubt, Paul was the heart and soul of the Temptations. His version of For Once In My Life is the definitive performance. What he does with that song is unbelievable. He put himself on display during that performance and it floors me every time I see it.

Motown was not stupid they always gave Paul a lot to do on the specials. He had a way with the camera and with people. Notice the adulation he gets when he sings lead.

Who knows,maybe if paul had gotten more leads david's ego might have stayed in check.

I love this unreleased solo track that was recorded in 1972 by Paul and scheduled to be issued as Gordy 7125. It's included on the double CD "Temptations: One By One". Classic Paul at his best. He's singing every lyric with that heartfelt passion.

Last edited by no_place_like_motown; 10-19-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Nice tribute and nice story, Stu...Don't know how I missed this earlier. Paul's passing deeply
    hurt me when I was coming up. His version of Hey Girl is still my all time favorite rendition
    of that song...

I really don't think the Tempts would of amounted to much, had Paul Williams not come into the picture. He could deliver a song and make you feel it in the same vein as Marvin, Levi Stubbs and MJ. Yet, TV and concert performances aside, was largely placed on the back-burner for much of the groups heyday.

Paul and Eddie grew up in the same neighborhood as my Grandmother and aunts in Birmingham and were well know around the area well before they ended up in Detroit. I've seen the house where he grew up several times.