[REMOVE ADS]

Stevie Wonder vs. Michael Jackson vs. Marvin Gaye

Who's your favorite?

Which one do you think had the most influence?

I'm not sure what the answer is for me. I think Stevie Wonder is my favorite.

Grudingly, I think Michael Jackson had the most influence, although not all positive.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Who's your favorite?

Which one do you think had the most influence?

I'm not sure what the answer is for me. I think Stevie Wonder is my favorite.

Grudingly, I think Michael Jackson had the most influence, although not all positive.
    They are all so different and all contributed heavily to pop music. I can''t answer a question like this because all three were major influences on popular music and culture. Can you imagine music without all three?.

I'm with Motown_M_1056 on this.

Gotta be Stevie Wonder simply for the sheer high, consistent quality of his output in the 70s and early 80s. he was literally a one-man band. His co-producers up to "Fulfillingness First Fanale" would arrange all of his instruments in a circle in the studio and they would track each part one by one, usually starting with the drums.

Marvin had the voice, and issued two or three outstanding works, but also put out a lot of bland ballads. He did get a lot of help in the studio.

Michael Jackson? Hmmmm...You know, the material he did on Motown was so producer and writer driven that the only input he really had was his singing.

smark21 Guest
    AS an entertainer, Michael Jackson had the greatest impact and influence of the threee, but as an artist, songwriter and musician, it's neck and neck between Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder.

I'm very surprised how little interest there is in Stevie Wonder, including on SD.

The interest in him is so much the opposite of Diana Ross and yet they are close friends.

I have plenty interest in Stevie Wonder and have often discussed him, his music, his vocal style and how it's influenced so
    many other singers from Charlie Wilson to George Clinton to Steve Arrington, his drumming skills and paradoxically, his use of drum machines, his harmonica skills, particularly his chromonica virtuosity, his early blues influences, his collaborations with
    others like Herbie Hancock and his both feet on the ground commitment to remain a positive influence in not just black but
    American music and culture, in real time but I find too often in the Motown section on SDF nobody can seem to get pass
    what gown an ex Supreme wore to the Grammy's in 1978 and who wore it better, whenever...

I'm one of the few that found Stevie Wonder a great topic to be discussed. But do we have to go that far in mentioning that group? I swear one of the folks in here may end up starting an "I hate that stupid group that keeps getting mentioned at one point or another" thread and all hell will break loose, let's just stick to the three main subjects of this - Stevie, Michael and Marvin.

I liked Stevie the best out of all three. Had Michael kept his same vocal style into adulthood, I would have liked him alot... but his phrasing and inflection went all wonky. Keep in mind, though.... as far as male artists go from a strictly VOCAL standpoint, nobody at Motown is in my top 5. In soul, my favorites vocally are Cuba Gooding, Al Wilson, O.C. Smith.

It's hard to pick one over the other these are 3 musical icons...period!!!

Vocals-Marvin Gaye
    Songwriter-Stevie Wonder
    Stage Presence-Michael Jackson
    Greatest...All three dammit!!!

This question makes no sense at all. Never in my life have I ever heard anyone privately or publicly try to compare these three TOTALLY different artists. The reason being is that you don't compare them, you appreciate them!

Marvin Gaye - A King
    Stevie Wonder - A King
    Michael Jackson - A King

The are beyond comparison!

I think Stevie..Just what he did for other artists for a start. The Spinners biggest Motown hit Its A Shame. Its a SHAME his efforts for the likes of G.C. Cameron, The Originals, Syreeta, Supremes etc, did not translate into mega sales. Was playing his tune LOVE NOTES by Ramsey Lewis today. What a GREAT track. Thing is, what happened the last ten years. Good stuff, but I cant name one song that has remained in my mind. Just listen to Cellerful Of Motown 4. Now THATS the Stevie I love and cherish...Paulo XXXX

It is fairly easy for me for reasons that are driven by opinion only;
    Marvin Gaye; way ahead of his time and honestly could really sing
    Michael Jackson; Creativity
    Stevie Wonder; Songwriter and Producer

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    I think Stevie..Just what he did for other artists for a start. The Spinners biggest Motown hit Its A Shame. Its a SHAME his efforts for the likes of G.C. Cameron, The Originals, Syreeta, Supremes etc, did not translate into mega sales. Was playing his tune LOVE NOTES by Ramsey Lewis today. What a GREAT track. Thing is, what happened the last ten years. Good stuff, but I cant name one song that has remained in my mind. Just listen to Cellerful Of Motown 4. Now THATS the Stevie I love and cherish...Paulo XXXX
    Interesting comment Paulo, did you know that Marvin Gaye wrote and produced "Baby I'm For Real" for the Originals, their biggest hit for Motown? Michael has had success along the same lines with tunes he wrote for Rockwell and Diana Ross. So again, all three were so great and so different that I honestly do not believe you can compare them.

Now Stevie's recording output in the last 10 -15 years has been rather scarce. The one song I think of immediately from the 1995- 2010 period is "Take the Time".

I like 60s Marvin Gaye better than 70s Stevie Wonder, and 60s Stevie Wonder better than 70s Marvin Gaye.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Interesting comment Paulo, did you know that Marvin Gaye wrote and produced "Baby I'm For Real" for the Originals, their biggest hit for Motown? Michael has had success along the same lines with tunes he wrote for Rockwell and Diana Ross. So again, all three were so great and so different that I honestly do not believe you can compare them.

Now Stevie's recording output in the last 10 -15 years has been rather scarce. The one song I think of immediately from the 1995- 2010 period is "Take the Time".
    Stevie has been too complacent in the last, I should say, 25 years. That said I don't think comparing the three is a good idea either, they were all great in their own rights.

Oh yes I know Marvins work with The Originals. And Michaels work too. As you quite rightly state, they all brought something different to the table, and are ALL magnificent in their own right. And arent we all the better for it!.. I Just played a little game here at home. I picked out two Motown albums apiece by each, at random. Here are my thoughts.
    Little Stevie Wonder..The Jazz Soul Of Little Stevie...AWFUL
    Stevie Wonder..Fullfillingness First Finale...Brilliant
    Marvin Gaye...M.P.G...Really just a bunch of tracks thrown together, but still some amazing tracks. Not a dud methinks.
    Marvin Gaye...Tribute To The Great Nat King Cole...Just love this..Straighten up and fly right!
    Michael Jackson...Forever Michael...OK for its time, some great music, not a real CLASSIC though.
    Michael Jackson..Music And Me..Oh Dear, what were the powers that be thinking. Not one track stands out.

Just thought I would throw this in to show how these three brilliant artists had their ups and downs too.What do you guys think?...Paulo XXXX

I think as singers, songwriters, arrangers, composers, producers and musicians, Stevie & Marvin were definitely the best all-around acts in Motown. Michael was on his league as a singer, songwriter, arranger, composer, producer and dancer/choreographer in later years and his soulful singing during his Jackson 5 period was definitely unique.

Also give credit to Marvin & Stevie for producing and/or writing hits for others while at Motown.

Amen..xxxx

The main difference for me is that Marvin "moved me" with his voice and lyrics in a way Stevie and Michael never did.

man this is hard..Marvin moved me the most to,"I Want You" deluxe CD is my favourite Motown album of all time..no contest there..but all three have such individual styles its hard to compare them..I dig all three although if i never hear Billie Jean,Girl Is Mine,beat it or Ebony and Ivory again in my life I wouldnt mind..I admire Stevie for surviving where the other two self destructed on drugs..But Michael wins hands down for the showman..but I like Stevie live better...I prefer Marvins Whats Goin On at Motown 25 to the lip sync Billie Jean..butI prefer something like Part Time Lover to Sexual Healing..I think..man this question makes my head hurt...

Cool

I don't think you can really compare these men to each other because they each excelled at different areas of music.

In my opinion just based on pure vocal talent/singing ability Marvin Gaye was the best but each were vocally highly influential on music.

But..

If we talk about pure musical talent/musical prowess[[songwriting,musical vision/talent,producing..etc) then Stevie Wonder is the man hands down.

From Music Of My Mind to Talking Book to Innervisions to Fulfillingness' First Finale the man kept raising the bar in music and then he put out his greatest album Songs In The Key Of Life.

Stevie was[[mostly) a self contained musical genius while Marvin had some help from people like Leon Ware and Michael's greatest success was helped[[in part) by Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton.

But...

If we are talking about pure star power/pure entertainment ability then Michael Jackson is the man here[[and it ain't even close).

There's no way Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye could have done what Michael Jackson did during his performance of Billie Jean at the Motown 25 Special.

Funkadelic sung about One Nation Under A Groove but Michael Jackson had the entire WORLD under one groove.

Michael Jackson was quite simply the greatest entertainer who ever lived and the most famous human being who ever lived.

You could right now show a picture of Michael Jackson to someone in the the World who has never met a Black person and who can't speak any English but they would know who he was.

This should have been a poll.

^ It would've been a tie lol

Put a poll on here Soulster; no reasons, just a poll. As everyone says, it's a tough one.

I think as an overall Entertainer, I'd go for Michael and of course, his overall influence is probably greatest but just as a celebrity. If they would stop the King of Pop overkill, I'd be more convinced.

For musical influence, I lean to Stevie and as Midnightman mentioned ~ Stevie has to be given credit for surviving the temptations of drugs and alcohol whereas his colleagues were addicts. So, in the life department - Stevie wins hands down.

Marvin has a couple of my favorite songs ever - I Want You and God is Love.

^ Yeah Stevie was able to escape from the danger that both Marvin and Michael eventually succumbed [[though I guess they knew they would live very short lives).