[REMOVE ADS]

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Jennifer Hudson and Beyonce in Dreamgirls has led many under 35s to discover the history of The Supremes...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I do think they'll play it safe. Hell even if they did the unedited version, it won't damage the legacies of Berry Gordy and Diana Ross. Hell, weren't those books released back in the '80s intended to do that or were they just intended to show the "other sides" because if so that "this is gonna damage their reputation" story has already jumped the shark by now. Even in the "Unsung" documentary, most of Flo's friends and family [[including Mary Wilson) claims Florence's own behavior [[which simmered from her tragic rape incident) led to why she was ousted from the group. We still don't know how they're gonna create this film and if they're even going to film the Supremes period unless it's in flashbacks. I can see Faith playing Florence in her final years.
    Midnightman, they will have to cover the Supremes era. It is the reason we even know Flo [[and Diana and Mary for that matter). In order to get to Florence's later life, they have no choice but to explain what happened to her while she was in The Supremes. If they didn't thoroughly cover that part of her life, it would be like doing a movie about George W. Bush and glossing over his time as the President in order to focus on his life afterwards. It just doesn't work!

MissLish Guest
    I do think they'll play it safe. Hell even if they did the unedited version, it won't damage the legacies of Berry Gordy and Diana Ross. Hell, weren't those books released back in the '80s intended to do that or were they just intended to show the "other sides" because if so that "this is gonna damage their reputation" story has already jumped the shark by now. Even in the "Unsung" documentary, most of Flo's friends and family [[including Mary Wilson) claims Florence's own behavior [[which simmered from her tragic rape incident) led to why she was ousted from the group. We still don't know how they're gonna create this film and if they're even going to film the Supremes period unless it's in flashbacks. I can see Faith playing Florence in her final years.

It just slays me when folks choose to believe that Gordy would risk the popularity of America's most popular group at the time, due to his desire to be mean to Flo. Mhm, seems perfectly logical. LOL!

marv2, I am beginning to understand you very well.

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    your wrong Top diva - on 1st of July 1967 - Flo arrived first in the drssing room for that nights show and found a set of four tuxedos one had Cindy written with a black permanent marker she then confronted Joseph Morgan in wardrobe about it..

Where did you hear this story, nomis?

thanks Marv for clarifying for Topdiva. Marv I knew you knew what I meant Smokey has done damage control several times and not just for the Dreamgirls movie.

What amazed me was when Dreamgirls came out as the broadway play and Ross refused to see it, Smokey does damage control, and Mary Wilson sees Dreamgirl the play AND is the interviewer on the red carpet for Entertainment Tonight! Ross [[supposedly) has not seen the Dreamgirl movie either. If its not about the Supremes and just girl groups why wont she go?

Smokey didnt have to come out and defend Berry its almost like they are afraid that if it is not true that it appears to be too close to home. Three Degrees there was Sheila and Richard Barrett, with the Ronettes it was Phil and Ronnie although they used the album likenesses in the movie Dreamgirl they could come out and say its just conjecture. They dont even do that. Its always the Motown family.....oh well enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Miss Lish begs to differ; they were THE topic of discussion at her place of employment today. Well, every day.
    Miss Lish, you must work in a very fun place. What do they talk about at your place of employment regarding the Supremes? Do they discuss other Motown artists as well?

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    I was referring to the fact that Cindy was able to wear Flo's old gowns - which of course puts in question the old urban legend that Flo was fired because she got fat.
    Now we all know that was a lie. It also now makes me wondering how much was Florence's drinking may have been blown out of proportion. You have to remember the initial stories as to why Florence Ballard " left the group" were all false.

Miss Lish the story of events backstage on July 1st was told to Taraborelli by both Flo and Jospeh Morgan..

^ That's because someone is guiding them the RIGHT WAY! lol I know of several that I've talked to [[JonathanLGardner and Indivuell83). The latter boy's from Germany I believe [[I could be totally wrong though) and he's about 16 or 17. JLG is 15 last I checked.

That is exactly right! LOL! I've talked to Jonathan as well. There is also this 15 year old kid from the UK called Sinclair and he would rip your head clean off over Mary Wilson! LOL!

He kisses his butt duh lol
    No stuff? LOL!!!!!!

Jennifer Hudson and Beyonce in Dreamgirls has led many under 35s to discover the history of The Supremes...
    Now that is very true. Just like with the Temptations Movie. That sparked an interest in kids to want to know the real deal. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised when I saw a video clip a while back of these two young caucasion guys acting out a scene from the Temptations Movie! I mean they had the dialogue, the dialect and even the movements DOWN!!!!

topdiva1 Guest
    Miss Lish the story of events backstage on July 1st was told to Taraborelli by both Flo and Jospeh Morgan..
    So much has been said and misquoted about the Supreme's and Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    thanks Marv for clarifying for Topdiva. Marv I knew you knew what I meant Smokey has done damage control several times and not just for the Dreamgirls movie.

What amazed me was when Dreamgirls came out as the broadway play and Ross refused to see it, Smokey does damage control, and Mary Wilson sees Dreamgirl the play AND is the interviewer on the red carpet for Entertainment Tonight! Ross [[supposedly) has not seen the Dreamgirl movie either. If its not about the Supremes and just girl groups why wont she go?

Smokey didnt have to come out and defend Berry its almost like they are afraid that if it is not true that it appears to be too close to home. Three Degrees there was Sheila and Richard Barrett, with the Ronettes it was Phil and Ronnie although they used the album likenesses in the movie Dreamgirl they could come out and say its just conjecture. They dont even do that. Its always the Motown family.....oh well enough said.

Anytime Stephanie. You forgot Smokey was sent onstage at Motown 25 to also do damage control that night! LOL!

Mary knows that Dreamgirls [[The stage play and the movie) was about their lives. I believe one of the films' producers he told her how the Supremes affected him after seeing them live at the Brooklyn Fox as a kid. Diane is not being truthful when it comes to what and what she has not seen or read. She claimed she did not read "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supremes. She does this or say things like that as a defense mechanism. She knows damn well that there is nothing she can do about any of it, so in order to keep up the big bad diva front, she must plead ignorance or else be expected to do something about it!

Let's be really serious for a moment. Sure that story [[Dreamgirls) could have been about any number of girl groups from the 60's , but we all know that none of them have been entrenched in the American Pop Culture as much as the Supremes. So when you hear people say crazy things like "no one even knows who the Supremes were anymore" you have to laugh because they were one of the most famous groups in music history. If no knows or remembers them, what does that say about the Three Degrees, Ronettes, Cookies, etc, etc , etc?
    Last edited by marv2; 01-15-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Just last night on TMZ, that guy Harvey asked one of his reporters "what was the name of the Supremes before they became the Supremes?" The guy answered "The Primettes"!

"....that evening,Florence surprised stage hands by being the first to show up backstage.It appeared that while she was on time,she was also still hung over or newly inebriated -it was hard to tell which.She was in a jovial mood,though at first when she entered the dressing room.Things changed quickly,however,Suddenly,It was as if the earlier happiness had never occurred,Florence was extremley upset..she flung the door open and marched with purpose to have a word with the wardrobe people..
    SHE SAID that she went to grab her outfit off a hanger.and found four-not three -indentical tuxedos.hers.Mary's.Diana's And,another one- On the fourth outfit..was instead a plain label with the name "Cindy" written in black permanent marker.
    It was clear to her that not only were her days numbered.but maybe her time was up..
    "What is this all about?" she demanded to know.She faced Jospeh Morgan with fire in her eyes.."You Tell Me know whats going on?"
    "Well Flo.." he began "Mr Gordy just said to have an extra outfit made in case..it..became." he finished softly "Necessary.."
    "Fine " Florence deciced "If they want a Supreme who can fit into this outfit then thats me.Now get out of here so I can change"..
    "I left the dressing room as fast as I could" recalled the tailor "I knew this as trouble ,But I wasnt about to stop her I can tell you that much"..
    Florence then,apparently, donned the tuxedo that was meant for Cindy Birdsong.."
    p172-173
    Diana Ross An Authorised Biography J.Randy Taraborelli
    Last edited by nomis; 01-15-2011 at 12:34 AM.

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Miss Lish, you must work in a very fun place. What do they talk about at your place of employment regarding the Supremes? Do they discuss other Motown artists as well?

Oh it is a blast of a place to work miss Penny. Let's see, today we discussed Marv2's hush-hush Motown 50 television special,TopDiva's missing TT interview, and Miss PSP's close relationship with Evan Ross. There were other groups at Motown?

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    marv2, I am beginning to understand you very well.

Welcome to SDF, Miss Penny! We all have Marv2's bathwater on my darling. LOL!

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post

Oh! She did see it miss steph; along with her lawyers!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No stuff? LOL!!!!!!
    I thought it was known knowledge that Smokey was a lap dog. Diana even slapped Berry for pushing her limit! Come on now lol

Just last night on TMZ, that guy Harvey asked one of his reporters "what was the name of the Supremes before they became the Supremes?" The guy answered "The Primettes"!
    Education is key, Marv. LMAO!

MissLish Guest
    Now we all know that was a lie. It also now makes me wondering how much was Florence's drinking may have been blown out of proportion. You have to remember the initial stories as to why Florence Ballard " left the group" were all false.

I have never seen it anywhere that Florence was fired due to her weight, and I have read ALL the books. The only time this is mentioned is amongst fans.

MissLish Guest

Did Randy use this material in either of his books? If he did, I don't remember it.

In the same breath, there's folks who hear "Heat Wave" or "Nowhere to Run" or "Please Mr. Postman", they'll say Supremes so they're DUMB lol

MissLish Guest
    "....that evening,Florence surprised stage hands by being the first to show up backstage.It appeared that while she was on time,she was also still hung over or newly inebriated -it was hard to tell which.She was in a jovial mood,though at first when she entered the dressing room.Things changed quickly,however,Suddenly,It was as if the earlier happiness had never occurred,Florence was extremley upset..she flung the door open and marched with purpose to have a word with the wardrobe people..
    SHE SAID that she went to grab her outfit off a hanger.and found four-not three -indentical tuxedos.hers.Mary's.Diana's And,another one- On the fourth outfit..was instead a plain label with the name "Cindy" written in black permanent marker.
    It was clear to her that not only were her days numbered.but maybe her time was up..
    "What is this all about?" she demanded to know.She faced Jospeh Morgan with fire in her eyes.."You Tell Me know whats going on?"
    "Well Flo.." he began "Mr Gordy just said to have an extra outfit made in case..it..became." he finished softly "Necessary.."
    "Fine " Florence deciced "If they want a Supreme who can fit into this outfit then thats me.Now get out of here so I can change"..
    "I left the dressing room as fast as I could" recalled the tailor "I knew this as trouble ,But I wasnt about to stop her I can tell you that much"..
    Florence then,apparently, donned the tuxedo that was meant for Cindy Birdsong.."
    p172-173

Thank you my darling; I remember this now. Your little snippet here has compelled me to pull out and dust of my copy of this book yet again! LOL!

p172-173
    That is almost EXACTLY what this scene from the play "Dreamgirls" depicts.............

Miss Lish - taraborelli located Joseph Morgan while working on his third Ross book, Florence had told him the story of the fourth tuxedo years before but he couldnt verify it and didnt use it - Joseph confirmed Flos account and the full details of July !st 1967 appear in the third book..Joseph supplied photos of Flos birthday in her suite and supplied information on the birthday drinks by the pool in the day and events at Flos birthday..supplying photos proves he was there as these events unfolded...

I like to see how the OTHER girl groups felt about the Supremes. Forget the Supremes and that crappy Dreamgirls movie for a minute lmao

I thought it was known knowledge that Smokey was a lap dog. Diana even slapped Berry for pushing her limit! Come on now lol
    You better quit! Don't make me say something about Smokey. Smokey is our guy! LOL!!!

In the same breath, there's folks who hear "Heat Wave" or "Nowhere to Run" or "Please Mr. Postman", they'll say Supremes so they're DUMB lol
    I did have a kid ask me on Youtube..."so who replaced Effie in the Supremes"! You can't get mad because they really like the music and trying to learn.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-15-2011 at 12:53 AM.

MissLish Guest
    Miss Lish - taraborelli located Joseph Morgan while working on his third Ross book, Florence had told him the story of the fourth tuxedo years before but he couldnt verify it and didnt use it - Joseph confirmed Flos account and the full details of July !st 1967 appear in the third book..Joseph supplied photos of Flos birthday in her suite and supplied information on the birthday drinks by the pool in the day and events at Flos birthday..supplying photos proves he was there as these events unfolded...

Oh! There were photos to substantiate it all. It's a shame TT was unable to use any photos for his book. Some have questioned TT's credibility due to this, however, I KNOW their had to be photos from the evening when Florence went to TTs for dinner and all of the neighborhood was there. Certainly someone took a photo at that time; no? Maybe TTs mom misplaced those photos during a move or something. I know Marv2 is pleased that his mom has been kind enough to store all of his Supreme possessions in her attic; it's a shame TT's mom didn't or couldn't do like wise. Maybe TopDiva will check with TT to see if he has any photos of himself with Florence? If that happens, how great would it be if TopDiva could post it here for all to see?

This is about as irratating as when I read where someone tries to lump every black musical performer from the sixties as being "Motown"! Geez.......

I did have a kid ask me on Youtube..."so who replaced Effie in the Supremes"! You can't get mad because they really like the music and trying to learn.
    Hell I would. I was like "THERE WASN'T NO D*MN EFFIE WHITE IN REAL LIFE DUMMY!" lmao

exactly Marv show some kids some tolerance and patience they will ultimatley carry on the legacy as we all pass to the other side..at least their not glued to playstations like most teenage zombies playing games were you murder prostitutes police etc..were not gonna be here forever you know if we can answer their questions answer them..once upon a time WE all asked the same questions..its the cycle of life,,wow that was deep LOL xx

This is about as irratating as when I read where someone tries to lump every black musical performer from the sixties as being "Motown"! Geez.......
    Which they still do but sh*t many who don't know better think all there was to Motown WAS the Supremes lol

exactly Marv show some kids some tolerance and patience they will ultimatley carry on the legacy as we all pass to the other side..at least their not glued to playstations like most teenage zombies playing games were you murder prostitutes police etc..were not gonna be here forever you know if we can answer their questions answer them..once upon a time WE all asked the same questions..its the cycle of life,,wow that was deep LOL xx
    That's why we had books back then lol the internet has a lot of information lol

Hell I would. I was like "THERE WASN'T NO D*MN EFFIE WHITE IN REAL LIFE DUMMY!" lmao
    Please stop! LOL!!!!, mean old Midnightman, gee sir I was only asking..........hehehehehe!

I'm one of those smart alecks, if someone asked me a dumb question like that [[and I'm a big Motown fan) I'll be offended lol

You're right and you are also right that is too deep for tonight! I ain't going nowhere, hehehehehe!

After viewing "The Five Heartbeats", I knew better than to think they were real. For a second I thought so but then when I began to watch PBS and stuff and they were doing soul music tributes, I knew better. I sure wouldn't have been online going "who replaced Eddie Kang, Jr. from the Temptations?" GTFOOH! lol

After viewing "The Five Heartbeats", I knew better than to think they were real. For a second I thought so but then when I began to watch PBS and stuff and they were doing soul music tributes, I knew better. I sure wouldn't have been online going "who replaced Eddie Kang, Jr. from the Temptations?" GTFOOH! lol
    Eddie Kang? You are killin' me here!!! LOL!!!! That was my movie though.........

topdiva1 Guest
    Hopefully this Flo Ballard movie will answer some long standing questions and put an end to some urban legends. However, I feel it will create many more new questions than it can ever answer, we'll see.

I was in Atlanta on Monday. I hoped to check out the filming of Blondie, but guess what, there were no cameras roling. I thought someone said shooting would begin in January, 2011?

topdiva1 Guest
    It is still January - but likely they will not start until March - as some of the contracts for the cast have not been completed - so I heard!!!

HA! According to the IMDB database only two roles have been cast.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    HA! According to the IMDB database only two roles have been cast.
    Meaning - contracts signed!!

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    It is still January - but likely they will not start until March - as some of the contracts for the cast have not been completed - so I heard!!!
    Exactly! What is the big assed deal? This guy doesn't want the film to be made, fine! It's going to be made, fact!

topdiva1 Guest
    Exactly! What is the big assed deal? This guy doesn't want the film to be made, fine! It's going to be made, fact!

Flo Ballard will have her say on the big screen.

i don't care one way or the other, really. I JUST KNEW THERE WOULD BE NO CAMERAS ROLLING YET. I WAS RIGHT!! Back on ignore.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    i don't care one way or the other, really. I JUST KNEW THERE WOULD BE NO CAMERAS ROLLING YET. I WAS RIGHT!! Back on ignore.
    If you don't care, "one way or the other", then why comment and still, why is it so important that you be RIGHT! Ignore away ignorance.