[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    You may also be right - but with lighting and makeup who knows what can be done.
    And what with 38 year old Faith Evans playing Flo, it might be wise to cast other women long out of their teens to play the young Supremes. And they can use the same filters and lighting that they used on Lucille Ball for Mame to make them look young and dewey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdpwpfUbXl8

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    And what with 38 year old Faith Evans playing Flo, it might be wise to cast other women long out of their teens to play the young Supremes. And they can use the same filters and lighting that they used on Lucille Ball for Mame to make them look young and dewey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdpwpfUbXl8

Young and Dewey - oh - so sort after.

Regardless - with a great director at the helm, it will all hopefully work.

What did not work was casting Ross as Dorothy, in a part that belonged to the young and dewey Stephanie Mills.

Young and Dewey - oh - so sort after.

Regardless - with a great director at the helm, it will all hopefully work.

What did not work was casting Ross as Dorothy, in a part that belonged to the young and dewey Stephanie Mills.
    Ahemmmmm................!

SPIRIT OF LIFE FILMS TO RELEASE BIOPIC OF FLORENCEBALLARD STARRING R & B SONGSTRESS - FAITH EVANS
    Released: 10-01-2010

ATLANTA, GA, November, 2010— For years the true story of the Supremes’ original lead singer, Florence Ballard has been diluted and muted. Finally the truth is set to be told like never before in a new biopic by Spirit of Life Films titled ”BLONDIE” – THE FLORENCE BALLARD STORY staring R & B singing sensation Faith Evans as the legendary Florence Ballard.

Based off the book “The Lost Supreme” by Peter Benjaminson, the screenplay for the biopic entitle “Blondie” was written by Karen Spencer and Roy Fegan who will also be producing the film along with Glenn S.O.N Faide. “Not only is this about re-birthing Florence Ballard’s legacy and giving her the accolades that she has deserved for 34 years, it also offers her children an opportunity to know their mother better and celebrate her life”, says Karen Spencer, Partner at Spirit of Life Films.

A Detroit native, Florence Ballard paved the way for female entertainers but she has yet to be accurately portrayed. The biopic will reveal shocking details of Florence’s life from her moments of joy and success to her devastating betrayal and the actual cause of her premature death at the young age of 32. Florence’s three daughters, Michelle and Nicole [[twins) and Lisa have been instrumental in the development of the biopic. Ballard’s girls, who lost their mother as young children, gave preference in having singer Faith Evans portray their mother.

In addition to her striking resemblance, Faith Evans has had similar life success, challenges and has the natural vocal talent. Faith has prepared for the role by spending valuable time with Ballard’s family and studying her music and history. Directed by Bille Woodruff [[Bring It On, Beauty Shop, Honey) and cast by Aleta Chappelle [[The God Father II, Beverly Hills Cop II, Boomerang, Introducing Dorothy Dandridge), the epic will be filmed in Atlanta, GA and is set to release Summer 2011. An all star soundtrack will be released featuring various artists including Lauryn Hill, Kelly Price and Faith Evans.

SPIRIT OF LIFE FILMS: Focused on a mission to educate and inspire filmmakers for the next generation; Karen Spencer and Glenn S.O.N Faide are blazing a trail as the leaders of Spirit of Life Films. They have documented the hip hop group “The Lost Boys” and they are excited to embark on their first feature film, ”BLONDIE” – THE FLORENCE BALLARD STORY. The film industry is looking forward to their line up of entertaining truth based biopics and films. For more updates and more information on the film based book by Peter Benjaminson visit http://www.thelostsupreme.com.

Media inquiries please contact:
    Sr. Publicist Trea Davenport
    Trea Day Management & Publicity
    phone:678-327-8281, email: treadaypr@gmail.com

thanks for the update I was struck by your post a few weeks ago Marv on you remembering seeing footage of the crowds at Flos funeral on the news..I wonder if that footage still exists I would love to see it cheers Marv

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    thanks for the update I was struck by your post a few weeks ago Marv on you remembering seeing footage of the crowds at Flos funeral on the news..I wonder if that footage still exists I would love to see it cheers Marv
    It was broadcast on the local Detroit news, WXYZ Channel 7 and I believe WWJ Channel 4 covered the funeral also. It was not like it is today, but at least it was live. All the local channels aired some type of tribute to Flo at the time. When David Ruffin passed, his funeral received very heavy local coverage also of which my brother taped. I was at the service.

As far as finding out if the footage from Florence's funeral still exists, I would start by contacting WXYZ 7 in Detroit.

Footage of Diana and Mary at Flo's casket was shown during the HEADLINERS AND LEGENDS profile on Diana done back in 2000, I believe.

Thanks Marv and Reese..

topdiva1 Guest
    The word on the street is - the movie will most likely be a 2012 release.

Hey Marv:
    Do you know if Mary will be consulted to add to the historical accuracy of the film?
    Thanks,
    jon

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv:
    Do you know if Mary will be consulted to add to the historical accuracy of the film?
    Thanks,
    jon
    I do not know.

...ahem..historical accuracy..not so easy when your talking about one of the most disputed fables in show buisness history..to some she was the sister who kept it real.to other historians shes the girl who threw the lottery ticket away..Shes an enigma a haunting presence..the ultimate case of the dark side to the American dream..I doubt any film will be able in such a short time [[2 hours or so)to fully paint a picture of her journey..how do you portray the teenage years of singing at every competion..to the burst of international fame and the complex relationship that existed between Ballard/Gordy/Ross & Wilson..the back breaking schedule once the Supremes hit big..Tommy ..the drinking..the ABC contract..there is so much to tell..and so much of it is disputed today by Motown scholars...Something is going to be sacrificed due to time restraints...I sure as hell woudnt know where to start...

I am suggesting historical accuracy invloves the correct time and place of events; not from a psychological or psychosocial perspective. I agree that the time constraints is certainly an issue. This story should really be a mini series! i wonder if BG or Ross have paid any attention to this film. Do they even care about another story or book focusing on the Supremes?

jon

...ahem..historical accuracy..not so easy when your talking about one of the most disputed fables in show buisness history..to some she was the sister who kept it real.to other historians shes the girl who threw the lottery ticket away..Shes an enigma a haunting presence..the ultimate case of the dark side to the American dream..I doubt any film will be able in such a short time [[2 hours or so)to fully paint a picture of her journey..how do you portray the teenage years of singing at every competion..to the burst of international fame and the complex relationship that existed between Ballard/Gordy/Ross & Wilson..the back breaking schedule once the Supremes hit big..Tommy ..the drinking..the ABC contract..there is so much to tell..and so much of it is disputed today by Motown scholars...Something is going to be sacrificed due to time restraints...I sure as hell woudnt know where to start...
    There are no disputes at all. This story is not from 100 years ago. It all happened within my lifetime and I am not that old. They do not have to show EVERY singing competition or every back breaking concert tour. All the facts are there already with only a few principle players [[i.e. Milton Jenkins, Lurlee Ballard, Tommy Chapman, Obie Benson, Paul Williams, Eddie Kendricks ,etc) deceased.

All they need to do is stick with the FACTs. Draw a timeline from roughly June 1943 to February 1976 and fill in the the timeline with major events in Florence's life with maybe a short prologue focusing on her daughters and her legacy within American Pop Culture.

I think Diana cares..I think she cares deeply..its natural for performers to worry about the public liking them..part of the package..Berry on the other hand seems not to care...he didnt address anything in his memoirs..He didnt go to her funeral..after Dreamgirls and Taraborellis in depth look at his life..I cant see another retelling of Ballards life affecting him..not so Diana..

topdiva1 Guest
    It is not likely that we will ever get anything from Diana or Berry - of any real substance on Flo Ballard. Do believe that BOTH Gordy and Ross still want to be liked by the public - and remembered in history, as not only great successful people, but kind as well.

Good luck!

I think Diana cares..I think she cares deeply..its natural for performers to worry about the public liking them..part of the package..Berry on the other hand seems not to care...he didnt address anything in his memoirs..He didnt go to her funeral..after Dreamgirls and Taraborellis in depth look at his life..I cant see another retelling of Ballards life affecting him..not so Diana..
    Berry cares , do not kid yourself. He does not want to be remembered as a "Simon Legree" type character. He has grandchildren and lots of friends. If he would address the subject directly, it might make things better on him, then again maybe not.

Diane definitely cares.

The moral of this whole situation is be careful, mindful of how you treat other people in life. It can and will come back to haunt you one day.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Berry cares , do not kid yourself. He does not want to be remembered as a "Simon Legree" type character. He has grandchildren and lots of friends. If he would address the subject directly, it might make things better on him, then again maybe not.

Diane definitely cares.

The moral of this whole situation is be careful, mindful of how you treat other people in life. It can and will come back to haunt you one day.

Berry Gordy and Diana Ross, back in the day, are said to have been "...nothing nice", as they move into old age - can they correct that image? That remains to be seen.

I do not feel that they will be hit to hard in this movie - likely the movie as it refers to Ross and Gordy will stick with the already written and sue proof words from their own bios showing them as they have shown themselves. The producers will PLAY IT SAFE. Still the movie hopefully will be good.
    Last edited by topdiva1; 01-13-2011 at 06:31 PM.

good points Marv and Top Diva.

ladonna Guest

Oh! They care! I'm told they are building a compound on Uranus to escape the backlash once this movie is released.

I don't know why Diana or Berry would care at this point in their lives about a movie about Florence. Sadly most people today don't know who Florence was or who Berry is. It's not like Diana or Berry killed Florence or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I don't know why Diana or Berry would care at this point in their lives about a movie about Florence. Sadly most people today don't know who Florence was or who Berry is. It's not like Diana or Berry killed Florence or something like that.
    I highly doubt they would be spending millions of dollars on a film about someone most people do not know. Face it, the Supremes were as big as the Beatles and we still talk about them [[and the Supremes) today.

I highly doubt they would be spending millions of dollars on a film about someone most people do not know. Face it, the Supremes were as big as the Beatles and we still talk about them [[and the Supremes) today.
    Don't misunderstand me I love the Supremes! Frankly I don't hear a lot of people talking about them today where I live. Their music is timeless but most people don't remember or know who the individual members were. I see some discussion here about them but mostly I see fighting and bickering which disrespects the Supremes in my opinion. I hope the movie is hugely successful. But millions are spent on movies all the time that open and fade quickly. It is just the reality of that industry. But miracles do happen and we can hope!

Don't misunderstand me I love the Supremes! Frankly I don't hear a lot of people talking about them today where I live. Their music is timeless but most people don't remember or know who the individual members were. I see some discussion here about them but mostly I see fighting and bickering which disrespects the Supremes in my opinion. I hope the movie is hugely successful. But millions are spent on movies all the time that open and fade quickly. It is just the reality of that industry. But miracles do happen and we can hope!
    Wishful thinking on your part I'd say. People have and do discuss Mary, Florence and Diane on forums all over the internet regardless of where you live. Now, no one is discussing musical stars past or present daily in the general media [[unless there is an "event" such as Aretha's recent health crisis) if that is the weak point you are trying to make.

topdiva1 Guest

Great observations on your part.

I will tell you exactly what will happen. Watch there will be a scene where Berry gets upset with Flo for whatever reason, Gordy will fire Flo, whoever plays Mike Roshkind will show her some papers and she will sign them [[Faith playing Flo) Then we will see Smokey on the news defending Mr Gordy saying that is NOT the way it happened. Flo was part of the "Motown Family" and we all loved Flo but was not the lead singer of the Supremes and Berry fired her but not the way it was shown in the movie he gave her plenty of chances and she blew it.

Motown was a family environment and Flo always got her paycheck, Motown would never do anything to hurt Flo. Florence

[[continued) Florence was jealous of Diana and it was a business decision but to say that Berry threw Florence out of the group, or thought she was a threat is nonsense, we would never treat anyone in the Motown family like that. Flo knew the name was going to be changed and Im sure Berry told her and Mary that a long time ago. Im not upset with Faith or the actors in the movie Im upset with the way Berry is being portrayed. Florence signed her contracts and she could have gotten legal counsel but she didnt that wasnt Berrys fault.

We loved Flo so much Motown paid for her funeral! The house that Flo lost Motown got that house for her we all loved Flo. We even offered Flo a solo contract and she wouldnt take it we didnt do this to her.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I will tell you exactly what will happen. Watch there will be a scene where Berry gets upset with Flo for whatever reason, Gordy will fire Flo, whoever plays Mike Roshkind will show her some papers and she will sign them [[Faith playing Flo) Then we will see Smokey on the news defending Mr Gordy saying that is NOT the way it happened. Flo was part of the "Motown Family" and we all loved Flo but was not the lead singer of the Supremes and Berry fired her but not the way it was shown in the movie he gave her plenty of chances and she blew it.

Motown was a family environment and Flo always got her paycheck, Motown would never do anything to hurt Flo. Florence

hehehehehehe...... I laugh because I know you are right Stephanie. Smokey's job is the clean-up man in matters such as this! LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 01-14-2011 at 09:48 PM.

[[continued) Florence was jealous of Diana and it was a business decision but to say that Berry threw Florence out of the group, or thought she was a threat is nonsense, we would never treat anyone in the Motown family like that. Flo knew the name was going to be changed and Im sure Berry told her and Mary that a long time ago. Im not upset with Faith or the actors in the movie Im upset with the way Berry is being portrayed. Florence signed her contracts and she could have gotten legal counsel but she didnt that wasnt Berrys fault.

We loved Flo so much Motown paid for her funeral! The house that Flo lost Motown got that house for her we all loved Flo. We even offered Flo a solo contract and she wouldnt take it we didnt do this to her.

Of course "She did it to herself". They had better not even talk to Shelly. I do wonder just how far Smoke will go to try to "undo things" LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 01-14-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Wishful thinking on your part I'd say. People have and do discuss Mary, Florence and Diane on forums all over the internet regardless of where you live. Now, no one is discussing musical stars past or present daily in the general media [[unless there is an "event" such as Aretha's recent health crisis) if that is the weak point you are trying to make.
    I don't know what you mean by "wishful thinking?" Yes there is discussion about the Supremes on the internet. My point was walk into any bar, restaurant, church, library, etc. and they aren't discussing the Supremes Mary, Florence, Diana, Cindy or any of the rest.

But he did Steph..he said "If you go on that stage tonight I will personally kick you off"..from Flos own lips..Berry did kick her out after she played up after discovering Cindys costumes at The Flamingo...

topdiva1 Guest

Motown did not get a house for Flo - if they had there would of been no mortagae on it. Motown had a realestate agent pre scot houses for all of the girls and the girls worked likke dogs to pay for them so Motown DID NOT get a house FOR her. The Ballard girls will not let them show any crap like you suggest. Motown was a business, and a cruel one at that - it was no FAMILY - it was a world in which you where made a star - and made profitable, but usually not for your own benefit.

Yeah, most would remember the music. Unless they were fans of old school music, I doubt they'll know who they are but luckily there's some kids who could pick them out individually, if not the '70s Supremes, definitely Diana, Mary and Florence. Individually to others who are not in the know of the Supremes, obviously if that name pops up, the first name to come to mind would be Diana Ross.

The discussions here definitely show some disrespect to the Supremes in general.

Yeah there's some kids now that if you mention his name, they go "who?" I always say, "look him up!" lol

topdiva1 Guest
    But he did Steph..he said "If you go on that stage tonight I will personally kick you off"..from Flos own lips..Berry did kick her out after she played up after discovering Cindys costumes at The Flamingo...
    Cindy had no costumes - what she had , at that time was Flo Ballard's old gowns - which she fit perfectly - no alterations needed.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah there's some kids now that if you mention his name, they go "who?" I always say, "look him up!" lol
    Berry Gordy and his Motown Corporation did play a huge major roll in Music History and should never be forgotten for many reasons - some good - some bad.

I do think they'll play it safe. Hell even if they did the unedited version, it won't damage the legacies of Berry Gordy and Diana Ross. Hell, weren't those books released back in the '80s intended to do that or were they just intended to show the "other sides" because if so that "this is gonna damage their reputation" story has already jumped the shark by now. Even in the "Unsung" documentary, most of Flo's friends and family [[including Mary Wilson) claims Florence's own behavior [[which simmered from her tragic rape incident) led to why she was ousted from the group. We still don't know how they're gonna create this film and if they're even going to film the Supremes period unless it's in flashbacks. I can see Faith playing Florence in her final years.

your wrong Top diva - on 1st of July 1967 - Flo arrived first in the drssing room for that nights show and found a set of four tuxedos one had Cindy written with a black permanent marker she then confronted Joseph Morgan in wardrobe about it..

I don't know what you mean by "wishful thinking?" Yes there is discussion about the Supremes on the internet. My point was walk into any bar, restaurant, church, library, etc. and they aren't discussing the Supremes Mary, Florence, Diana, Cindy or any of the rest.
    Why would they be? That is a very strange point. Unless there is something in the current news. For example, during the time of RTL, you could run into people all over New York making comments about it. When Diana Ross was arrested for drunk driving , people were talking about it. When Mary had chest pains and had to be hospitalized, it made the national news.

When this film is completed and ready for release, there is going to be a LOT of discussion going on about it. Understand?

Nomis you are right. Here in the U.S. we would have said "after she showed out.....instead of after she played up!" LOL!!!

topdiva1 Guest
    your wrong Top diva - on 1st of July 1967 - Flo arrived first in the drssing room for that nights show and found a set of four tuxedos one had Cindy written with a black permanent marker she then confronted Joseph Morgan in wardrobe about it..
    I was referring to the fact that Cindy was able to wear Flo's old gowns - which of course puts in question the old urban legend that Flo was fired because she got fat.

Motown did not get a house for Flo - if they had there would of been no mortagae on it. Motown had a realestate agent pre scot houses for all of the girls and the girls worked likke dogs to pay for them so Motown DID NOT get a house FOR her. The Ballard girls will not let them show any crap like you suggest. Motown was a business, and a cruel one at that - it was no FAMILY - it was a world in which you where made a star - and made profitable, but usually not for your own benefit.

TopDiva, I believe you may have misunderstood Stephanie. She was paraphrasing what Smokey Robinson might say to the press in defense of Berry, Diane and Motown. She probably should have used quoation marks for illustration purposes.

True story: A few years ago I was on the train into the city and overheard these kids or rather young twenty somethings talking and one of Them mentioned the name "Diana Ross". The others didn't know who she was, so one of the girls said, "you know she's Joan's mom from "Girlfriends"! LOL! That made me chuckle a bit. LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 01-15-2011 at 01:31 AM.

topdiva1 Guest
    TopDiva, I believe you may have misunderstood Stephanie. She was paraphrasing what Smokey Robinson might say to the press in defense of Berry, Diane and Motown. She probably should have used quoation marks for illustration purposes.
    Thank you for clarifying that. Smokey surely loves him some Gordy.

..he always did there seem to be none of the drama that played out between Gordy and Ross/Wilson/Gaye/Reeves/Wonder etc..

Yeah, most would remember the music. Unless they were fans of old school music, I doubt they'll know who they are but luckily there's some kids who could pick them out individually, if not the '70s Supremes, definitely Diana, Mary and Florence. Individually to others who are not in the know of the Supremes, obviously if that name pops up, the first name to come to mind would be Diana Ross.

The discussions here definitely show some disrespect to the Supremes in general.
    If you [[by that I mean Penny here) are mostly considering people under 35 , then they may or many not know who the Supremes were. Judging by what I've seen on Youtube, I would say many do know.

^ That's because someone is guiding them the RIGHT WAY! lol I know of several that I've talked to [[JonathanLGardner and Indivuell83). The latter boy's from Germany I believe [[I could be totally wrong though) and he's about 16 or 17. JLG is 15 last I checked.

..he always did there seem to be none of the drama that played out between Gordy and Ross/Wilson/Gaye/Reeves/Wonder etc..
    He kisses his butt duh lol

MissLish Guest

Miss Lish begs to differ; they were THE topic of discussion at her place of employment today. Well, every day.

MissLish Guest

This is the first I've heard that Florence discovered Cindy's costumes?!