[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    This has to have been the happiest of threads.

What do people suspect it's fake??

I dont know what to make of it; spelling mistakes; repeated postings.......do they repeat everything 3 times? And oddball references to God. Is somebody involved in producing the movie a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses? What would that have to do with Florence Ballard? People ask questions and they don't reply to the questions. How come?

Some of this is pretty basic stuff; but I guess if Hip O Select has trouble with marketing, perhaps something smaller scale can be foregiven.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Buttered Popcorn, as Rolling Stone and all of us know, was an allusion to something sticky and gooey and salty and chewy.........oh My Word!

I was wondering....................is someone saying here that the Jehovah's Witnesses are behind this? Is that what this is all about?

What I'd like to know is did the Girls know what they were singing about when they were recording Buttered Popcorn. I guess if Miss Ross didn't know that I'm Coming Out was about gay freedom, anything is possible. But, seriously, I wonder if they knew? I bet Papa Ross didn't. LOLOLOLOL!!

Thanks you RALPH,You're the best.I can't wait to see THE FLORENCE BALLARD STORY.
    PLEASE STAY POSITIVE
    Last edited by REDHOT; 12-28-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Everyone here @ Spirit Of Life Films would like to send our deepest condolences to the family of Teena Marie, a friend & supporter of the film had planned to be on the sound track. A beautiful woman. Teena will be missed by family, friends & Fans around the world! R.I.P Lady T

I didn't know Lady T was mentioned regarding Flo's film?
    I have yet to find anything that was tying Lady T to the Flo Ballard movie. I hope they are not using Teena's death to try and promote their film.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    What I'd like to know is did the Girls know what they were singing about when they were recording Buttered Popcorn. I guess if Miss Ross didn't know that I'm Coming Out was about gay freedom, anything is possible. But, seriously, I wonder if they knew? I bet Papa Ross didn't. LOLOLOLOL!!
    They were singing about buttered flavored popcorn, teenage love etc,etc. Trashy minds can come up with all sorts of filth related to anything under the moon if they want to.........

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I have yet to find anything that was tying Lady T to the Flo Ballard movie. I hope they are not using Teena's death to try and promote their film.

Teena Marie and Faith Evans collaborated on a recording project recently. ok?

Some people are way too sensitive here. I guess there must be some history amongst some of you. I can almost smell some of the attitude coming through my computer screen. It isn't very becoming or welcoming!

I suppose there is history amongst some Supremes fans. It's a long history and it doesn't really matter anymore. It is a matter of discussion amongst committed fans, regarded as impossible to understand and crazy by the populace at large.

If you go to Ross concerts these days, you will see they are generally gray haired Moms and Dads with a smattering of gay men and everyone else. Most of them know nothing about the intricacies or even the names of the members of the group.

Be that as it may, some people, very few, hold it against Diana Ross for "making it" and "getting rich" when most of her colleagues struggled, aren't well known, and aren't well off. Diana is also a member of a minority and minorities of all kinds attack their own people if they get rich, are too successful, and too well known. So, that is part of what you are seeing - jealousy, envy, misery behind some smiling faces and subtleties.

If you were a group member, you can excuse some jealousy; as Mary Wilson said, when the Supremes were inducted into the R & R Hall of Fame, she was treated like somebody's secretary sent to pick up the award. That would be hard. But few of them have complained; really only Mary, and not much anymore.

The real root of the problem you are seeing Penny, as has been explained in recent books, is that Diana left the Supremes and a few fans don't like it. Her success was too great and while the group survived for a while, the big success was gone and the door started revolving within a couple of years [[it sure is too bad they didn't get Blondie back in the group). In addition, fire was added to the wound by the failure of any meaningful reunion, to the point where is it now impossible for anything other than a few minutes of standing together on a stage.

For a few irate fans, you see great desire to seek a kind of revenge, something few other people and certainly not the public, understand or care about.

That's all that's really going on in threads like this. Ain't really either "here nor there" in the end; they are just discussion; not providing much concrete information.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Teena Marie and Faith Evans collaborated on a recording project recently. ok?
    Yes, "Can't Last a Day". From 2009. Hardly "recently".

miss_lish Guest
    They were singing about buttered flavored popcorn, teenage love etc,etc. Trashy minds can come up with all sorts of filth related to anything under the moon if they want to.........

When did oral sex become trashy and filthy?

I suppose there is history amongst some Supremes fans. It's a long history and it doesn't really matter anymore. It is a matter of discussion amongst committed fans, regarded as impossible to understand and crazy by the populace at large.

If you go to Ross concerts these days, you will see they are generally gray haired Moms and Dads with a smattering of gay men and everyone else. Most of them know nothing about the intricacies or even the names of the members of the group.

Be that as it may, some people, very few, hold it against Diana Ross for "making it" and "getting rich" when most of her colleagues struggled, aren't well known, and aren't well off. Diana is also a member of a minority and minorities of all kinds attack their own people if they get rich, are too successful, and too well known. So, that is part of what you are seeing - jealousy, envy, misery behind some smiling faces and subtleties.

If you were a group member, you can excuse some jealousy; as Mary Wilson said, when the Supremes were inducted into the R & R Hall of Fame, she was treated like somebody's secretary sent to pick up the award. That would be hard. But few of them have complained; really only Mary, and not much anymore.

The real root of the problem you are seeing Penny, as has been explained in recent books, is that Diana left the Supremes and a few fans don't like it. Her success was too great and while the group survived for a while, the big success was gone and the door started revolving within a couple of years [[it sure is too bad they didn't get Blondie back in the group). In addition, fire was added to the wound by the failure of any meaningful reunion, to the point where is it now impossible for anything other than a few minutes of standing together on a stage.

For a few irate fans, you see great desire to seek a kind of revenge, something few other people and certainly not the public, understand or care about.

That's all that's really going on in threads like this. Ain't really either "here nor there" in the end; they are just discussion; not providing much concrete information.
    Thank you I understand now! I appreciate your insight.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,you all know what would make a good movie....these supremes threads...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Some people are way too sensitive here. I guess there must be some history amongst some of you. I can almost smell some of the attitude coming through my computer screen. It isn't very becoming or welcoming!
    TOLD YOU!!!! Do not worry about it however, it is really quite trivial.

When did oral sex become trashy and filthy?
    When you try to attach it to a nice little pop song by a group of 16 year old Black American girls from 1962 America! Barney Ales would have a fit on you about it!

topdiva1 Guest
    When you try to attach it to a nice little pop song by a group of 16 year old Black American girls from 1962 America! Barney Ales would have a fit on you about it!

Thank you marv!! - some people are just too silly, and will post just anything. Buttered Popcorn was about Buttered Popcorn.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,you all know what would make a good movie....these supremes threads...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Something about the Supremes seems to attract some whose personalities for whatever reasons are not fully formed. It is interesting how much emotional baggage some fans seem to carry with them in these threads. The result is what you see. And you're right, these threads would make for a very good comedy. LMAO!

topdiva1 Guest
    Something about the Supremes seems to attract some whose personalities for whatever reasons are not fully formed. It is interesting how much emotional baggage some fans seem to carry with them in these threads. The result is what you see. And you're right, these threads would make for a very good comedy. LMAO!

Great and really on point observation. I am surprised.

About 30 years ago, Rolling Stone Magazine suggested for the first time that Buttered Popcorn was an allegory for cunnilingus. That's where it came from; it wasn't oral sex in general.

They are the dudes that also suggested that in the early years, the Supremes sang in a style that was a little bit nasty, just this side of the Marvelettes. They said: "A whole album, Meet the Supremes, was done in this style and is now probably regarded as an unfortunate part of the past, much like once being a whore."

This was 70's style Rolling Stone reporting. Little did they know that 40 years later, this unfortunate part of the past would be re-released in an expanded version with the best version ever released of I Want A Guy, no annoying backgrounds and unnecessary noise, just Diana Ross singing significantly lower and in that same voice that she would use on all the hits.

From a moderators point of view, anytime I see a thread that has "Supremes" in the title, I become wary and start watching for trouble. It shouldn't have to be that way, but unfortunately it just is.

miss_lish Guest
    Why moderate them at all? I am thoroughly entertained by all the dramatic, histrionic, over-the-top, and campy Supremes threads. You moderate a silly thread about a Florence Ballard movie and yet you don't moderate members who use offensive language with regard to sexism, racism, and homophobia? You are a true mystery to me, Ralph.
    Last edited by miss_lish; 12-29-2010 at 10:55 PM.

I'm in the camp of these type of threads are getting quite redundant because most of the Supremes threads, when you think about it, ain't really aimed at the Supremes as it aimed at petty catfights between members who claimed to be fans of the original Supremes and the revolving '70s members.

miss_lish Guest
    Yep, very true midnightman; which is the exact reason they are entertaining.

But Miss Lish, I DO moderate bad language and such. However, the Supreme threads fall into a category of their very own, which seems to bring the worst out of some of the forum membership.

I do hope I am not in trouble again.

I thought my Rolling Stone history lessons were relevant and my analysis above it was accurate.

But, ya, this is a garbage thread. It's idle chatter, perhaps mildy entertaining to a few. I would hit delete.

miss_lish Guest
    If there is a psychologist on the board, I would love to hear their assessment on some of the more out there fans. That would be fascinating.

miss_lish Guest
    I do hope I am not in trouble again.

I thought my Rolling Stone history lessons were relevant and my analysis above it was accurate.

But, ya, this is a garbage thread. It's idle chatter, perhaps mildy entertaining to a few. I would hit delete.

If it is a junk thread, why not allow grown folks to decide on their own if they choose to participate or not. Why delete it? If Ralph deleted all the junk threads on the Forum, well...you get where i'm going.

I'm trying to decide between indulging in "Buttered Popcorn" or my meds!

smark21 Guest
    Here's the latest post from the Blondie Facebook page:

Florence Glenda Ballard Chapman was an American singer and one of the original
    founding members of the Motown group The Supremes! The true story behind
    everything you thought you knew about her shall be told in this great epic
    feature film. Thanks for all your support!! GOD is the head director of this
    film and his angels are the producers. Give GOD the glory in all you do and
    greatness shall happen!

At least we know the filmmakers will portray Buttered Popcorn as a song about Jesus.

Check this out:

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...lorence_b.html

By Aaron Foley | MLive.com
    Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark

Courtesy photoMartha Coolidge

Martha Coolidge, who directed Halle Berry to a Golden Globe win in the HBO movie "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge," has been selected to direct the previously announced biopic about the life of Florence Ballard.

A name for the movie, "Blondie," has also been chosen. "Blondie" was one of Ballard's nicknames because of her light-colored hair.

Faith Evans, who recently snagged a Grammy nomination earlier this year, will portray the tragic Motown singer; last month, she met with the former Supreme's daughters in Detroit.

Coolidge, in addition to "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge," also directed the 1980s cult classic "Valley Girl," the 1991 flick "Rambling Rose" [[which earned Oscar nominations for Laura Dern and Diane Ladd), 1994's "Angie" and the 2000 made-for-TV movie "If These Walls Could Talk 2."

“Martha is a seasoned film industry pro and brings to the project extensive experience and a unique gift of bringing out the best in actors portraying real life stories...her work with the Dorothy Dandridge biopic speaks for itself,” according to a news release.

The upcoming film, to be shot in Atlanta, will be based on Peter Benjaminson's biography "The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard." For more information on how to order that book, visit Benjaminson's website here.