[REMOVE ADS]

Wink The Supremes: A Bit Of Liverpool, Sing Country, Western And Pop, We Remember Sam Cook

I know this has been discussed before, but I really think it would be a good idea to release these albums in Stereo and Mono in a 3 cd box set at a resonable price. Say around $39.99 or so. Have the original artwork front and back of each album like they did with the Miracles set. I know it takes time, effort and money but I hope these Supremes releases speed up so that we can be done with it.

I think that's a great idea!

RossHolloway Guest
    I'd be more interested in a Complete Live Recordings from the Copa, unedited and unretouched 65-67.

I'll take 'em both! I'd also love to hear the Live in Japan with Jean unedited. I miss her solo :-) I also like the original mix better than the one on the CD. I know it was less "balanced" but, you could really hear the vocals. Jean soared! Now she's mixed back into the not so great band they had.

honest man Guest
    yes as much as id like to see the DRATS releases, i feel they have been well represented over the years, i feel other acts should get priority,some of us are clocking on,would love some F4.spinners,monitors etc,although i will always support supremes releases but i would draw the line at live recordings,i think, how mant times can you listen to mame-somewhere etc, gets a bit stale for me,cheers.

I love the way they are doing the deluxe editions for each album that gives the timeline and backstory on the album and recordings. I would personally like to see some live recordings be released [[Copa '67, Roostertail '66 & '67, expanded Live at London's Talk of the Town), the unreleased Disney album, Reflections, 70's Supremes Lost & Found, the Funny Girl album, etc.

Since Universal/Motown puts out an album a year on the group and with Motown 50 being a total dud, I think with this being the 50th Anniversary of the group they should treat us to more than just one or two releases a year. I think it would be great if they put out four this year. One for each quarter. I'm pretty sure "The Final Sessions" is due to be released soon [[April, I think?) It won't happen though if we don't demand more. I think I may write a letter to Universal asking for more releases this year.

I'VE said before Hip-O can take care of those DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES' live recordings in one deluxe package. PUT ALL OF those live recordings - those released and unreleased - together in one colorful, package, add some Supremes junk like concert photos, a tour poster, REVIEWS and ticket stubs and BAM!

It's done.

But I agree those specialty albums could be put together in one package AND BAM-BAM! IT'S DONE TOO.

But please remember that he was known professionally as Sam Cooke rather than Sam Cook.

Kamasu-it would have to be one from the Supremes, and then Diana Ross and the Supremes, and then the Supremes in all of their 70's guises. We'd end up having to buy another apartment to store them! HAHA

mysterysinger-Are you being a bit harsh on us...you can't expect us to be experts at English and typing both at the same time!! LOL....Seriously, is there a discernable difference other than the missing letter?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    said
    mysterysinger-Are you being a bit harsh on us...you can't expect us to be experts at English and typing both at the same time!! LOL....Seriously, is there a discernable difference other than the missing letter?
    I say:
    This no different than seeing the name Lawrence spelled as Laurence [LOL].

The title was too long and wouldnt let me add the "E"..... :-)

Aaron

I didn't even notice !!

LOL

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    I say:
    This no different than seeing the name Lawrence spelled as Laurence [LOL].

Some people chose to spell it that way - it sounds the same - but - is different.

Im still waiting for THE MARVELETTES VOLUME 2...LET ALONE more Supremes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..Paulo xxxxx

That too. Would be nice to finally have the final 2 Marvelettes albums on cd.

Gotta get Cooke right cos that is my name too. But I absolutely hate when people put an extra w in MoWtown - e.g. on Ebay.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-28-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: addition

Mysterysinger

HAHAHAHA. And I absolutely agree with you.

Here are a couple more to add to your list.

Barry Gordy Jr instead of Berry Gordy Jr
    Dancing in the Streets [[plural) rather than Dancing in the Street [[singular)

Or Diane instead of Diana .......arrrrggggghh LOL

Finaly got a copy of Supremes Sing Country Western And Pop on U.S. Motown. Very good condition. And only £3. Still hard going, listening wise. Just my humble opinion..Paulo xxxx

I do enjoy that album very much. My [[former) sales manager gave me a copy of the Supremes Sing Country Western and Pop. He was right about the music but so wrong about my professional abilities. I may have to now move from Ocean Beach to El Centro. Anybody got a knife?

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Finaly got a copy of Supremes Sing Country Western And Pop on U.S. Motown. Very good condition. And only £3. Still hard going, listening wise. Just my humble opinion..Paulo xxxx
    Let the truth be told.

None of the three albums mentioned here - were meant to be great hits - or blockbusters. They were designed to show how versatile The Supremes as singers and performers were.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Let the truth be told.

None of the three albums mentioned here - were meant to be great hits - or blockbusters. They were designed to show how versatile The Supremes as singers and performers were.
    Yes! The albums are ok, but I much prefer the 'proper' pop stuff. I was quite disappointed with 'There's a place for us'. Again, it showed them as 'stylists' but I always think of it as 'old fart material'. Much the same as those Rod Stewart 'Songbook' things!
    I'm also 'cold' at things like Gladys Knight's 'Before me' type albums. Sure, she sounds as fabulous as ever, but Diana did it 30 years ago and that was enough.

RossHolloway Guest
    Well those albums to me show two things: first, that the Supremes could sing, and sing more than just Motown materials, and two, it showed that the Supremes/Motown were taking chances. Can't really say that about the Beatles or Rolling Stones..

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Well those albums to me show two things: first, that the Supremes could sing, and sing more than just Motown materials, and two, it showed that the Supremes/Motown were taking chances. Can't really say that about the Beatles or Rolling Stones..
    I agree. I used to complain when the Supremes and other Motown acts appeared on TV performing standards and show tunes until my father explained that they were demonstrating versatility and that good music was simply good music. Through Motown, I gained an appreciation for songs from the Great American Songbook and popular music, period.

I remember loving the "We Remember Sam Cooke" lp but the other two I could have done without honestly. I understand what Mr. Gordy was doing and that was not only proving that the girls could sing everything but that they could appeal to everyone or a bigger market. He was getting that "Voice" or "Voices" into every home. Good strategy and it worked. I am not sure if I would be excited to buy all three packaged or not since I rarely played the Liverpool and SCWP lp's.

The Liverpool and Sam Cooke albums could have been better. Weren't they both recorded in Los Angeles?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    I'll take 'em both! I'd also love to hear the Live in Japan with Jean unedited. I miss her solo :-) I also like the original mix better than the one on the CD. I know it was less "balanced" but, you could really hear the vocals. Jean soared! Now she's mixed back into the not so great band they had.
    Where have you heard Jean's solo? and what was it?

I think he meant he misses her as a solo performer.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    But please remember that he was known professionally as Sam Cooke rather than Sam Cook.
    But please remember that you can only fit so many letters in the thread title.

aaron; I think that's an excellent idea. I don't recall: were all of these already released on CD? I know that "A Bit of Liverpool" was repackaged as "With Love From Us To You" and released in the UK [[?) but I don't recall if the others were. It seems maybe "CWP" was?

brad; while I love your idea of expanded editions, I think for these "specialty" releases a direct release would suffice. I don't know that I would listen to it much, but as a completist, I would definitely make this purchase. I'd much rather see expanded "Copa", "More Hits" or "Symphony" or "HDH". I would love to see more Supremes releases as well this year, 2011, being the Supremes 50th. "TITS II" will be a supreme kickoff.....

Marybrewster: We Remember Sam Cooke has been out of print since the early 90's or so. Sing Country, Western and Pop was reissued in 1994 and yes A Bit Of Liverpool has been issued a couple of times since the 80's? I think it is the best soloution for those 3 releases to be released together. Maybe who ever designs the artwork can come up with something neat :-) I know it's not Harry and Company's fault but I do think it is time to speed up some releases a tad quicker rather it be Supremes, Marvelettes or whoever.

A neat idea would have it as a 3 CD set, similar in style to the 1974 silver "Anthology" set as each CD would have it's own pocket.