[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Tell Andy thanks for answering my question. Follow up question: who decides the digital release that pop up on iTunes, with very little notice.
    .... Agree with RossHolloway ...... and per my two questions above, why is there no Universal/Motown website that keeps us as customers up to date with recent and future releases?

I absolutely love the extended version of Heartaches. Thank you a million times for it.

Heres a reposting of my Nothing But Heartaches analysis I posted here a few years back..

I was relistening to the podcast Midnight Johnny was so nice to make available celebrating More Hits Deluxe with Andy Skurow and George Solomon this morning. The discussion of why Nothing But Heartaches didn't go to number one caught my ear and Andy made some wonderful points of the fierce competition on the charts at that moment and if it had come a little sooner or a little later it might have gone higher. He also made a point of referencing he would do some further research on it but since I'd rather him have some free time to go digging through the vaults for the next Supremes deluxe edition I thought I would see if I could come up with anything else of value to add since I have the book of Billboard weekly Hot 100 charts of the sixties.

First a list of the active Motown and associated labels currently charting the week Nothing But Heartached debuted, 7-31-1965.

I Can't Help Myself - Four Tops #6 [[slowly desecending after hitting #1 for 2 non consecutive weeks)
    Pretty Little Baby - Marvin Gaye #30 [[climbing in it's fourth week on the chart) TAMLA
    I'll Always Love You - The Spinners #50 [[climbing in it's third week on the chart)
    Tracks Of My Tears - The Miracles #51 [[climbing in it's third week on the chart) TAMLA
    Since I Lost My Baby - The Temptations #53 [[climbing in it's second week on the chart) GORDY
    It's The Same Old Song - Four Tops #54 [[New Entry, Top Hot 100 debut of the week)
    Shake & Fingerpop - Jr. Walker & The All Stars #81 [[New Entry, Third Highest Debut of the week) SOUL
    Nothing But Heartaches - The Supremes #88 [[New Entry, Fifth highest debut of the week)

The Four Tops were riding high off the back off a still charting smash number one [[ICHM). The Supremes had also hit the summit last time out with "Back In My Arms Again," which left the chart three weeks before). In chart terms of longevity of their previous releases, The Tops had a longer run at the top [[2 wks vs. 1) in the top 10 [[10 wks vs. 5) and top 40 [[13 wks vs. 10) than the girls. Jr. Walker & The All Stars new single was following up the #36 Pop, #10 R&B "Do The Boomerang" which had left the chart 2 weeks prior.

In week two, all three records surged with Heartaches jumping over all the other higher debuts the prior week except ITSOS to land at #47. The Four Tops explode to #17, overtaking all the other Motown releases except I Can't Help Myself, still slowly dropping at #9. Week three NBH rises another twenty spots to #27, overtaking The Temptations and The Miracles but still twenty places behind ITSOS, now sitting pretty at #7. Also, occuring that week, The Beatles "Help" skyrockets in it's second week on the chart to #14, making it the only record younger than Heartaches to chart above it. In week four It's The Same Old Song holds at #7 while Help and the Beach Boys "California Girls" jump over it into the top 5. NBH is still starred, rising nine slots to #18 but competition gets tighter with the We Five's "You Were On My Mind," Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" James Brown's "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag," and Mel Carter's "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me" also bubbling under the top 10 with it. The next week the Tops rise [[but unstarred) to #5 thanks to Gary Lewis beginning to fall with Save Your Heart For Me. Dylan, Brown, and Carter all ascend into the lower half of the top 10 while the We Five and Supremes each rise five starred spots again to #12 and #13 respectively. Week 6 turns out to be the peak week for all three Motown singles that debuted together. The Tops held at #5 for a final week. Jr. Walker, having made slow but steady moves each week peaks at #29 with "Shake & Fingerpop." The Supremes "Nothing But Heartaches" makes it final rise up two slots to #11 and in most weeks would have grabbed one of the two top ten slots that opened up but loses out to the still strong We Five who jump to number seven and Barry McGuire's future number one "Eve Of Destruction" that leapfrogs over it in it's third chart week.

So the Top 10 in full that week of 9-4-1965 was...
    #1 Help
    #2 Like A Rolling Stone
    #3 California Girls
    #4 Unchained Melody
    #5 It's The Same Old Song
    #6 I Got You Babe
    #7 You Were On My Mind
    #8 Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
    #9 Eve Of Destruction
    #10 Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me

Looks like an hour of classic oldies programming doesn't it? Except for Barry McGuire who's sole hit has pretty much disappeared from being in the gold category of any radio station library these days. So Andy has hit the nail on the head when he points out the competition was so fierce at that moment. If it had come a week before or Barry McGuire had come a week later things might have been different. Nothing But Heartaches was a victim of chart logjam rather than being a poor production or wrong single choice. This level of competition at that moment helps explain why classics like Since I Lost My Baby and Tracks Of My Tears stalled in the Top 20 at that same time.

Your thoughts?

supremester Guest
    I think Nothing But Heartaches - which I love - has a weak melody line on the verse. Ross' amazing vocal hides that fact, but it's weak, IMHO.

I agree completely with Andy on the Magnificent package.... But why were you unable to obtain additional previously pictures?

I agree completely with Andy on the Magnificent package.... But why were you unable to obtain additional previously unreleased pictures?

I've replaced so many of the original versions with these extended and remixed versions that I now actually forget what the original versions sound like! The joy of creating your own playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Victor....great to see you!!!!!
    what a great show it deserves a rebroadcast is it possible. midnight johnny and motown supreme andy

Great version of Red Hot. Makes me much more interested in getting an expanded Mary Wilson set...

RossHolloway Guest
    I think that was the first time hearing Red Hot- George did a nice remix. Hope it becomes commercially available.

And we're human beings even at the beginning of and throughout the day.....

The Left Banke

The finish on the expanded Touch Me In the Morning" cd package was a tremendous surprise and an exceedingly nice touch . Thanks, Andy, for all that you do!

supremester Guest
    Amazing Youre Good My Child !!

supremester Guest
    Also: Andy's mix of One Love In My Lifetime is definitive and worth mentioning

Andy,

I'm curious if this vocal on You're Good My Child is Dianas first pass at singing the tune. She seemed to favor a more forceful interpretation of her vocal throughout the song on the 76 released version where here she only comes into that voice on the latter half of the track... Love both versions but I always think shes just doing a guide vocal or first pass here....
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 09-02-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Please ask Andy who works and is responsible for the Unreleased 1962 and Unreleased 1963 and will the series continue with 1964 and 1965? And secondly what has happened to the Blinky and Ivy Jo Hunter collections, and will they ever see the light of day?
    Hi Ross, Harry Weinger does this series, and I research the tapes for them. They will continue with 1964, and 1965 is TBD at this point. Yes, Blinky and Ivy Jo will happen, we're working on how to make that happen! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    my fav supremes song......love it.
    will the new GO GO have any 2014 mixs
    I am pleased to say YES!!!!

Andy would like to know if any supremes or vandellas extended sets are in the works love your work looking and waiting for thec79 mary wiilson project. Best frances

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Question for Mr. Andy:

Why was the mastering of disc 4 of the Supremes box set given to Jeff Willens [[who was at the helm of many of the U.K. 2-fers) rather than continuing with Suha Gur who did discs 1-3?
    We were working hard to get the box set done within the deadline, so Jeff Willens worked in one studio on Disc 4, while Suha worked in another room on Discs 1-3 and Bonus Disc 5. Harry and I bounced between the rooms making sure it was all done properly. The night we finished the project, we went to see Return To Love at MSG. It turned out to be the last night of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    1. Please remind Andy that the digital booklet for FUNNY GIRL was not proportioned appropriately to fit in a jewel case for those of us who purchased the digital music and burnt it on CDs.

2. Also why isn't there a Universal/Motown site that clearly lists upcoming and recent releases - with regular updates?
    The answer to #1 is that the booklet was made to iTunes specs which isn't meant for shrinking down. We did make one specific to a Jewel Case in the event they ever get made physically.

#2. There is a site: Classicmotown.com, but it is my understanding that it is getting a revamp soon to be all it should be. In the meantime, stick with SDF and we'll do our best to make sure you know what's happening!

Tell Andy thanks for answering my question. Follow up question: who decides the digital release that pop up on iTunes, with very little notice.
    The ones that have popped up over the last two years are simply uploads of CDs, not "new releases" per say. However, a new to digital release, like The Miracles Flying High Together should have a little more fanfare.

I agree completely with Andy on the Magnificent package.... But why were you unable to obtain additional previously unreleased pictures?
    Not much was available at the time. I would have been fine with what we had, but the packaging was not up to par and I was quite upset about it at the time. The positive is that we demanded higher standards from then on.

[QUOTE=Motown Andy;248711]The answer to #1 is that the booklet was made to iTunes specs which isn't meant for shrinking down. We did make one specific to a Jewel Case in the event they ever get made physically.

As Miss Ray is still living, perhaps the jewel case cd booklets might appear in the trunk/back seat of her car... Just kidding!!!

The finish on the expanded Touch Me In the Morning" cd package was a tremendous surprise and an exceedingly nice touch . Thanks, Andy, for all that you do!
    Thank you CC! I loved that packaging and finish. I was so proud of it. Thank you again for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Andy,

I'm curious if this vocal on You're Good My Child is Dianas first pass at singing the tune. She seemed to favor a more forceful interpretation of her vocal throughout the song on the 76 released version where here she only comes into that voice on the latter half of the track... Love both versions but I always think shes just doing a guide vocal or first pass here....
    There were at least two vocals, I can't remember if there was a third. We used most of one, but "comped" the vocal where necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Andy would like to know if any supremes or vandellas extended sets are in the works love your work looking and waiting for thec79 mary wiilson project. Best frances
    Lots of things on the way. New approach. I can't really say much about it right now Fran, but if all goes well, the next 12 months will be very good to the fans.

Thank you everyone for tuning in and staying with us. Thank you for all your love and support. I didn't get to respond to each post, but I hope I answered everyone's questions. I did miss mentioning one of the most important items: Our next Expanded Diana Ross release will be Baby It's Me, and it will be before the new year. That's all I can say for now, more details to follow soon. Have a great night everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Thank you everyone for tuning in and staying with us. Thank you for all your love and support. I didn't get to respond to each post, but I hope I answered everyone's questions. I did miss mentioning one of the most important items: Our next Expanded Diana Ross release will be Baby It's Me, and it will be before the new year. That's all I can say for now, more details to follow soon. Have a great night everyone!
    Thanks so much Andy. Wonderful show. And can hardly wait for Baby It's Me.

Well worth staying up for.

Good night.

Andy, Thank you for coming online and taking the time to answer specific questions that were posted on SDF. That was above and beyond the call of duty. A big thanks for all that you do for us fans!

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Andy, Thank you for coming online and taking the time to answer specific questions that were posted on SDF. That was above and beyond the call of duty. A big thanks for all that you do for us fans!
    I really appreciate u answering all the questions this way; it is great for all of us who miss the show. Thank you.

I only listened until 11 PM. Am I reading in this thread that there is a Mary Wilson project in the works?

Johnjeb,

The special version of Red Hot that was played/premiered was a composite from vinyl incorporating elements of the single, 12' mix, and album version. Andy Skurow had once asked George Solomon if he might combine the unique parts/variations of each into one song, since George possesses keen skills in that area. Andy kindly shared that version [[not from master tapes, but from vinyl) with us.
    Andy indicated that at some point he would really like to see Mary's album come out. That release would likely include the Gus Dudgeon tracks that Mary had completed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I only listened until 11 PM. Am I reading in this thread that there is a Mary Wilson project in the works?
    I'll also add to Carole's remarks that Andy mentioned Mary's album has a few legal clearances that need to be settled but he did forsee it being released in the next couple of years.

exciting news all the way around, and to think that after GO GO is my fav Supremes album SING HDH and DR78.
    thank you Andy and John

exciting news all the way around, and to think that after GO GO is my fav Supremes album SING HDH and DR78.
    thank you Andy and John
    Thank YOU, David!!

hmmmm...after thought,,,EXPANDED BABY IT'S ME....this means two cds right???or is that deluxe. I am suddenly confused in my excitement

hmmmm...after thought,,,EXPANDED BABY IT'S ME....this means two cds right???or is that deluxe. I am suddenly confused in my excitement
    If memory serves me right, Andy and/or George indicated that there wasn't much additional material record during those sessions, and that this project would be a single cd as was Surrender. But they assured that the booklet would again be fabulous- [[which will now likely need to be downloaded).

Thanks for the clarifications carole cucumber and Glenpwood

I'm not holding my breath for a Mary Wilson compilation, especially since projects by both The Supremes and Diana Ross are on hold. It would be nice for fans to have a Mary Wilson retrospective, sooner rather than later, to round out the collection.

John, another wonderful program. Especially enjoyed your versions of Ladder and Heartaches.

Andy's stories about the process are always fascinating, although I'm disappointed to hear about digital downloads. As I mentioned in my earlier post I was hoping for a vinyl release of the WDOLG album this year to mark it's 50th Anniversary. However, my tuner just died - maybe it's a sign.

On The Supremes At The Copa Expanded Edition, Baby It's Me is listed under Also Available as: Diana Ross, Baby It's Me: Expanded Edition [[2-CD), so I keep my hopes up for a double CD.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Thanks for the clarifications carole cucumber and Glenpwood

I'm not holding my breath for a Mary Wilson compilation, especially since projects by both The Supremes and Diana Ross are on hold. It would be nice for fans to have a Mary Wilson retrospective, sooner rather than later, to round out the collection.

John, another wonderful program. Especially enjoyed your versions of Ladder and Heartaches.

Andy's stories about the process are always fascinating, although I'm disappointed to hear about digital downloads. As I mentioned in my earlier post I was hoping for a vinyl release of the WDOLG album this year to mark it's 50th Anniversary. However, my tuner just died - maybe it's a sign.
    Thanks so much, John! Always happy when you get to hear the show!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    On The Supremes At The Copa Expanded Edition, Baby It's Me is listed under Also Available as: Diana Ross, Baby It's Me: Expanded Edition [[2-CD), so I keep my hopes up for a double CD.
    I remember seeing this too. Looks like at one time they had enough material for 2 cds. I really hope this is a physical release. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 09-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.

MJ is the show up on listen again?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    MJ is the show up on listen again?
    Paul...sorry, the show won't be aired again. The station lost function of it's cd recorders, so I was unable to keep it.