[REMOVE ADS]

mary wells' kids album

It's a foul weather day here in the UK and so I'm contenting myself with a bit of googling around.
    I was reading a copy of Billboard from 18th March 1995 when I came across a short article and photo of "Wells" a group made up of Mary Wells' 4 children. MCA were readying the release of their album "Life, Love And Struggles" on April 25th of that year.
    Does anyone have any info on that album? Was it ever released? Where will I ever find a copy? etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    It's a foul weather day here in the UK and so I'm contenting myself with a bit of googling around.
    I was reading a copy of Billboard from 18th March 1995 when I came across a short article and photo of "Wells" a group made up of Mary Wells' 4 children. MCA were readying the release of their album "Life, Love And Struggles" on April 25th of that year.
    Does anyone have any info on that album? Was it ever released? Where will I ever find a copy? etc etc.
    As far as I know, it was never released. Randy Russi probably knows the details, but I recall there was some downsizing at MCA that year. MCA's black music division went with another group of kids that year. I forget their name, but they had a hit with Candy Rain.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.

I recall during one visit to Tower Records that I saw a cassingle by the group, but I don't remember the name of it.

The lp or CD never was issued. The only recording I know of that was issued was on compilation CD for kids to do well
    in school. That recording was called Out of Control. Only three of Mary's kids were in the group--Cecil Jr., Harry, &
    Stacy. The fourth member, Nicole, was the daughter of Cecil Womack Sr.'s wife, Linda Cooke [[Sam's daughter).
    I know it sounds a little confussing. Sugar, Mary's fourth child, fathered by Curtis Womack, was much to young
    to be a part of the group.
    I know they did several recordings, but nothing ever issued.

By the way, during the recordings Stacy called me because they were going to record Mary's hit The One Who Really Loves
    You for the CD. I suggested not doing that, but something that Mary had written such as Love & Tranquility.

I can't remember--did Mary end up getting any back royalties from Motown? If so do they then go to her kids?

That is so confusing and hopefully Peter Benjaminson has been able to sort it out in his bio book on Mary.
    I know when she originally left she didn't collect any money for many, many years.