[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Diana Ross at Wolf Trap: Five Star Review!

What a fantastic tour this has been! XO

http://dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2014/0...oss-wolf-trap/
    Last edited by Lulu; 07-02-2014 at 04:15 PM.

FIVE-STARS-82x1552.gif
    Last night at the Filene Center at Wolf Trap, I got to be in the presence of the amazing, legendary Diana Ross. Ross, named by the Guinness Book of World Records as the most successful female music artist in history, kicked off this stop on her In the Name of Love tour with 1980′s hit “I’m Coming Out” and what a “coming out” it was. The night was filled with her unbelievably high energy, a fantastic medley of her many hits as a solo artist and as a part the Supremes. Not only was this show a treat for the ears, but it was a treat for the eyes too as Ross changed into a collection of beautiful dresses made of miles and miles of tulle and sequins.

Diana Ross. Photo courtesy of Wolf Trap.
    Diana Ross. Photo courtesy of Wolf Trap.

The night was a “family affair” as it was kicked off by Diana Ross’ daughter, Rhonda Ross, an amazingly talented singer-songwriter in her own right. Rhonda’s style is neo-soul jazz interwoven with what resembles spoken word poetry. Rhonda’s performance of songs such as the “Drumbeat of Life” and the upbeat “Summer Day” resonates with belief in the power of music. In the intro to “Breathe” she said “The power of music reminds us that we are loved.” One of my favorites from the night, “Nobody’s Business” is a powerful reminder that “your joy comes from inside and its nobody else’s job to make you happy.”

Once Diana Ross takes the stage, that warm, fuzzy, communal feeling that Rhonda started is continued by her mom. It seemed more like an intimate evening of great music between friends, rather than the packed to the brim house it actually was. The next hour or so are packed with Ross’s many hits including “Where Did Our Love Go,” “Baby Love,” “Stop! In the Name of Love,” “Touch Me in the Morning,” “Take Me Higher,” and “You Can’t Hurry Love.” Each song in the 22-song set had me on my feet dancing and singing along. With so many hits, it is easy to see why she has the title of the most successful female artist in history. The cover of Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive” had me, along with almost every other audience member up on our feet, singing and dancing to the ultimate girl power song.

Ross’s voice is as beautiful as it ever was, although its deeper and more mature than her early days with the Supremes. Because of this, some of that effervescent bubbliness is missing for songs like “Baby, Love” but that voice is stunning when signing songs like “Don’t Explain” from Lady Sings the Blues and “Love Child.” The sultriness of her voice is spine tingling in songs like “Look of Love” and “Love Hangover.”

As I was milling about the crowd before the show, I heard many comments about how “excited” people were to be seeing their idol in concert. I heard many stories of what her songs meant to them. It is easy to see why the audience adored her as you watch her throw every ounce of her timeless beauty and endless energy into the performance. You could tell that she was definitely enjoying herself from the huge beaming smile she had on her face the entire night. One of my favorite moments of the night was when she came out for the encore, and as she was telling the audience about how great the energy was and her gratitude for all the support she has gotten, she began to tear up. She made each person in the audience feel special.

When you think about the fact that she is 70 years old this year, her beautiful voice, her energy, and how beautiful she is, you can only say one word. In the words of the couple sitting behind me…“Amazing.”

Diana Ross played one night only on June 29, 2014 at the Filene Center at Wolf Trap – 1645 Trap Road, in Vienna, VA. For future performances and Information: Call [[877) 965-3872, or check their calendar of events.

Hmmmm, I thought Diana was hated and despised by millions? Someone needs to tell that reviewer.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Hmmmm, I thought Diana was hated and despised by millions? Someone needs to tell that reviewer.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. The crowd in Baltimore was enamored and I'm not just talking about the "Ultimate Fans" in the first two rows...so many classy black women "of a certain age" made up the audience and had such wonderful things to say walking out of the show!

I just love how Diana is getting such great reviews for her current tour, very rarely if any does she ever get bad reviews and I am even more impressed how reviewers are praising Diana's singing voice, how she amazing she still sounds and looks, how many of her peers can still rival that?????????

I really would love to know what secret she has for preserving her voice???, I really don't blame Diana for touring more in the U.S, if she still sounds amazing, still selling out venues and getting great reviews, then why not????
    I still wish that Diana would come on tour to Europe though, I really miss seeing her in concert, especially after reading the great reviews she's been getting in America.
    Last edited by David J; 07-03-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David J View Post
    I just love how Diana is getting such great reviews for her current tour, very rarely if any does she ever get bad reviews and I am even more impressed how reviewers are praising Diana's singing voice, how she amazing she still sounds and looks, how many of her peers can still rival that?????????

I really would love to know what secret she has for preserving her voice???, I really don't blame Diana for touring more in the U.S, if she still sounds amazing, still selling out venues and getting great reviews, then why not????
    I still wish that Diana would come on tour to Europe though, I really miss seeing her in concert, especially after reading the great reviews she's been getting in America.
    No smoking, no long long endless tours; and keep in reasonably good shape so the energy level is good ~ eat well, sleep well, get a reasonable amount of appropriate exercise for a 70 year old. That's about all you can do.

Diana Ross at 70 is still proving to critics why she's the queen

The critics are going fucking crazy for this tour
    By Sally Friedman, For The Inquirer

In a moment of sheer folly, back in the 1970s, I bought a vest made of silver metal discs at a trendy boutique. It was a ridiculous garment that clinked when I walked. I looked like a short wannabe knight in it.

And I blame Diana Ross for that temporary insanity.

I was a pretty passionate fan of the gorgeous songbird - whom I finally got to see in person at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts this week - and I'd seen her wearing something vaguely like my vest. On her, it looked exotic and right. On me - well, my husband, who took very little interest in what I wore, begged me never to wear it in public.

I ultimately sold that vest for less than five bucks at a yard sale.

I've followed the gorgeous Diana through her career, with and beyond the Supremes and, as much as I loved her music, I was far more fascinated by her glamour.

We Americans have steadily declined into, well, slobs, filing into concert halls like the stately Academy of Music in jeans and windbreakers, embracing sweats and gym togs as our default uniforms. But Diana Ross has continued to look as if she were posing for Vogue covers every day of her life. Or about to meet royalty.

Diana has always been in a category all her own. Untouchable. Sexy. Regal. The quintessential anti-Madonna/Lady Gaga.

I knew every word to her songs - "You Can't Hurry Love," "Stop! In the Name of Love," "Upside Down." And, oh yes, "Touch Me in the Morning."

But never, ever had I seen Diana in person. And by now, this old broad has realized that opportunity won't keep knocking.

So I made my way to the Mann with the hordes of D.R. fans this week. My husband, who still earnestly believes that music has never been the same since the big-band era, came along a little grudgingly.

The traffic crawl to get into the Mann was maddening. But the roar when the stunning Diana appeared on stage in a turquoise gown was almost frightening. We rose, almost as one, just to express our awe.

I still can't quite define what the magic is. Yes, it's the voice, coming now from someone 70 years old and totally ageless. It's the grace and presence. The megawatt smile.

She's still an icon. An idol.

You don't see Diana Ross; you experience her.

Buried in my own fantasies is a once-in-a-lifetime grand entrance, dripping cool, confident style.

Who of us wouldn't want to sweep onto a stage, at least once in our lives, wearing spangly, clingy sequined gowns and feathered boas in jewel colors - and pull it off?

Diana Ross can make a simple fan into a totally seductive accessory, the sort that stirs even the aloof man. It's femininity of a different order in a vulgar world.

Diana knows exactly how to move like molten liquid. How to blow kisses to her audience without looking ridiculous. How to present the lucky ones in that audience with a meant-just-for-you smile.

I was not one of the groupies who danced wildly at my seat. I'd probably have pulled a muscle if I had tried.

But I did feel overcome by a rush of gratitude for the chance to be in her audience on a summer night.

As we filed out into the muggy night air, I was still under the Diana spell. I asked my husband whether he thought I could ever get away with carrying a lavender fan. Or wearing a yellow feather boa.

He was kind enough not to answer.
    Last edited by David J; 07-03-2014 at 11:37 AM.