[REMOVE ADS]

Another Gamble & Huff Gem- "You Got What I Need"

I love Freddie's version but I can't help but hearing Paul Williams doing a version of this!

_
    Last edited by soulballad; 06-27-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Wow, I've never heard this, and didn't know Freddie had worked with G&H. I love their sound from this period, and I'm discovering more and more of their productions outside of the Gamble and Neptune labels.
    This is tremendous - my new favourite song. Thanks for posting

great post of a new song to me too....

here's a rare vid of Freddie live.... had a big pair of lungs!!

Hi Mike,
    a great clip, thank you!
    The complete story at

http://www.soulexpress.net/freddiescott.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Some from the 90's Generation might remember when rapper Biz Markie did a sample/parody of "You Got what I need". Which became his only hit record. Kids loved it!

Last edited by soulballad; 07-03-2014 at 06:30 AM.

In my teens I purchase a spanish Epic LP [["Azúcar Negro") that includes the first million selling PIR hits by O'Jays, Harold Melvin and Billy Paul and also Sly, Cane & Able, Free Movement,... In the copious liner notes by well respected spanish music critical Diego A. Manrique explains that "[[...) at these moments [year 1972], Mello Moods, Yellow Sunshine, FREDDIE SCOTT and the other PIR artists fare waiting for the magic touch of Gamble & Huff [[...)"... And I believed it! I believed that really Freddie was signed to G&H's label... until one time said it here and some one [[Bobby Eli, I think) corrected me and explains that was a outside production for Shout Records.

Also, another time I posted a track list from another vynil compilation, this other published in the 80's by a germain label, Moonshine and includes the track "Pow City" by a "certain" Freddie Scott that some one says to me is another Freddie Scott different from the one of this thread... but the voice seems to me the same [[??)

I didnt know that Biz Markie was a sample of this until a few years ago. I think he did it justice. Wish more people had known.

It's so interesting the tracks from Gamble & Huff that there must still be, this one from Freddie is another gem, well worth 99c on Amazon from his Best of Album.

http://www.amazon.com/You-What-Need-.../dp/B006PB0GOS

In the UK you can find the track on iTunes and Amazon UK on an album titled Forever Friends 'Someone Special'
    Last edited by jaybs; 07-04-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I didnt know that Biz Markie was a sample of this until a few years ago. I think he did it justice. Wish more people had known.
    Hell, stef, I loved Biz Markie's crazy ass styled recordings and I never knew this was a
    Freddie Scott sample until today! Talk about a blind spot...

Learn something everyday. I never knew that Biz had sampled this from something else either. Loved his crazy rendition. Also, to find that it was a Gamble & Huff production.