[REMOVE ADS]

Jody watley on why shalamar did not reunite for bet awards though she was willing

It's lengthy but a good read, especially if you are a Shalamar fan http://jodywatley.net/2014/06/29/the...siness-and-me/

BET lost its relevancy decades ago, and its a shame no one else has stepped up to create competition. It's also aging, and are tight with the Howard Hewitt people. It sounds like all they really want is a showcase for his solo career, which has been nothing but ballads.

I like Jody Watley's vision to hit 'em hard and dazzle them. Make it "A Night To Remember". But, all the stick-in-the-muds want are slow ballads. I guess that's all they can muster with their canes and walkers.

The funny thing about this is Jeffery Daniels. He was famously MIA on the last two Shalamar albums on Solar, which were basically props for Hewett's solo career.

BET lost its relevancy decades ago, and its a shame no one else has stepped up to create competition. It's also aging, and are tight with the Howard Hewitt people. It sounds like all they really want is a showcase for his solo career, which has been nothing but ballads.

I like Jody Watley's vision to hit 'em hard and dazzle them. Make it "A Night To Remember". But, all the stick-in-the-muds want are slow ballads. I guess that's all they can muster with their canes and walkers.

The funny thing about this is Jeffery Daniels. He was famously MIA on the last two Shalamar albums on Solar, which were basically props for Hewett's solo career.

I get Jody's point but it sounds like BET couldn't build a big enough stage to hold her ego as well as Howard's and Jeffrey's. A reunion, in my opinion, should never be about the solo careers of the individuals but about the love of the groups music and legacy. Hopefully they will all figure that out someday.....

Jody, Howard and Jeff would be better off going to TV One with something like this. BET does not deserve them and the TV One audience would not only appreciate them but they would have great ratings. GlenP I understand jodys brand but Im with you make it Shalamar not them individually they dont get along that well for that point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    I get Jody's point but it sounds like BET couldn't build a big enough stage to hold her ego as well as Howard's and Jeffrey's. A reunion, in my opinion, should never be about the solo careers of the individuals but about the love of the groups music and legacy. Hopefully they will all figure that out someday.....
    Seems to me Watley didn't have an ego. Her focus is on the Shalamar brand. After all, she is an original member, and owns the Shalamar name. She has a successful solo career too, but she didn't push for her ballads. She was even willing to let them jettison her duet with Rakim and keep Hewitt's solo material. How is that having a big ego?

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Jody, Howard and Jeff would be better off going to TV One with something like this. BET does not deserve them and the TV One audience would not only appreciate them but they would have great ratings. GlenP I understand jodys brand but Im with you make it Shalamar not them individually they dont get along that well for that point of view.
    I don't think it's a matter of any of them not getting along. It's about business. It sounds like BET and Hewett's people have close connections, so they were of like-mind on this. It's under the bridge now.

It would still be nice to see them reunite for a new album, but I can see issues with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    BINGO! They sound stupid as the Supremes when comes to a reunion. They have yet to realize that if they keep this up, it will not matter. I mean Shalamar was an 80's group that were good, but hardly Earth shattering. They should just get up on the stage, sing a song, smile...................and then get the Hell off!
    Last edited by marv2; 06-30-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: left some words out

BET is very passe......

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I mean Shalamar was an 80's group that were good but hardly Earth shattering. They get up on the stage, sing a song, smile...................and the get the Hell off!
    That's a little dismissive, don't you think? Shalamar showcased three excellent talents. Two [[or three, if you include Gerald Brown) fantastic singers, and a good dancer. They had several huge hits and some really good, consistent albums.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    That's a little dismissive, don't you think? Shalamar showcased three excellent talents. Two [[or three, if you include Gerald Brown) fantastic singers, and a good dancer. They had several huge hits and some really good, consistent albums.
    I don't mean to sound dismissive. I really don't, but I get more than a bit aggitated when these music groups act as if reuniting is the hardest thing to do in the World. They are just entertainers that love to play games with their fans,.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't mean to sound dismissive. I really don't, but I get more than a bit aggitated when these music groups act as if reuniting is the hardest thing to do in the World. They are just entertainers that love to play games with their fans,.
    They aren't playing with the fans. They are businesspeople. They are, for the most part, looking out for #1: themselves.

I get the sense that Jody was worried and it appear rightfully so that it was turning into the Howard Hewitt Show and not about the group Shalamar. I would be nice if they could get together but I don't think that's going to happen unless everyone involved check their solo egos at the door.

smark21 Guest
    A couple of years ago TVOne did an unsung on Shalamar and Jody Watley at the time of the interview seemed adamant about not wanting to reunite. I guess her mind has opened up a bit but obviously there is still some hard feelings that need to be worked out before such an event can occur.

I too agree with Jody. Give the people something to talk about. As nice as it would be to see them on stage together I'd rather they leave us with a memorable performance. Most of Jody's music videos that are nearly 25 years old are still hot and energetic. I once saw her in concert during the release of her first album and had no idea that her show would be as creative and innovative as it was. She could definitely bring a set that would be memorable. The BET audiences may appreciate the ballads more, but I would say give them the unexpected. She's still trying to showcase them all and keep it relevant [[in their eyes) with a lil hip hop. It's sad that it's taking all of this to do what may wind up being a 3-5 minute performance.

Jody reminds me of someone -hmmmm -is she the"Love Child" of someone?

Obsessed??

I would think all 3 need money.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Obsessed??
    Yup. Looks like it.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    It's lengthy but a good read, especially if you are a Shalamar fan http://jodywatley.net/2014/06/29/the...siness-and-me/
    New Edition reunited on one of those award shows, and they've been going like gangbusters ever since; their concerts sell-out. I look at a group like Fleetwood Mac , who I love, and with all the problems, scandal and disagreements, they still reunite for a tour and sell-out, and everbody makes MONEY. It just makes good business sense, especially when nobody is putting out any HITS.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    New Edition reunited on one of those award shows, and they've been going like gangbusters ever since; their concerts sell-out. I look at a group like Fleetwood Mac , who I love, and with all the problems, scandal and disagreements, they still reunite for a tour and sell-out, and everbody makes MONEY. It just makes good business sense, especially when nobody is putting out any HITS.
    Same with the Eagles. There's a band that describe the many ways how they were going to kick each others asses on stage during a concert, then repeatedly sue each other, and they still manage to preform together.

I didnt know Jody owned the name Shalamar now! Doesnt Dick Griffeys daughter own it?
    UPDATE: Just looked up Shalamar in WIKIPEDIA and it said Jody got the trademark. She needs to get Jeff and Howard now that she can call the shots.

I didnt know Jody owned the name Shalamar now! Doesnt Dick Griffeys daughter own it?
    UPDATE: Just looked up Shalamar in WIKIPEDIA and it said Jody got the trademark. She needs to get Jeff and Howard now that she can call the shots.
    That's why they blame her. She owns the name. It's why Hewett can't pull rank.

Well it all makes sense now. I have always seen Howard bill himself as Howard Hewitt so he wont have a problem singing Shalamar songs. I have never seen him go as former lead singer of Shalamar. I bet they never thought Jody would own the name I wonder how much she had to pony up for that. Wonder if Watley has some plans now that she has the name.
    Here is Gerald Brown the original lead singer who did Take that to the Bank he sounds great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6bdv5Y0ufs

Great clip stephanie, thanx for posting. Gerald sounds great and I love seeing Jody on stage.

That was a really nice clip. Gerald Brown still has it. Thanks Stephanie!