Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
The genre known as Acid Jazz is 20 years old! Though to me it's just another artificially created term to describe already existing music I did like Brand New Heavies, Incognito and some of Count Basic's stuff...
Yes Splanky .. another "Artificially created term" indeed. I think the first time I heard it used was about 1990, most of those "Acid Jazz" acts were London based and at that time for two years or so there had been a lot of publicity given to "Acid House" music [[a rather extreme variant of "House" music which had emerged in 1988). A lot of people in Britain had little time for "Acid House" and instead listened and danced to old Soul or Jazz/Funk tunes.

My assumption has always been that sometime around 1990 some wit who was playing a rougher version of what would have otherwise been called "Jazz-Funk" or "Jazz-Fusion", when asked what type of music he was playing, came up with the term "Acid-Jazz" and it stuck.

Really what all these London based acts seemed to me to be doing was creating a new version of the "Jazz-Funk" music that had been so popular some ten or fifteen years previously. There was even a trend to do Acid-Jazzed versions of some of the less well known old Soul tunes .. for example this is Snowboy's take on an old DOROTHY MOORE L.P. track ..

Roger