[REMOVE ADS]

Mary wilson talks about possible tour with diana ross

MARY WILSON TALKS ABOUT POSSIBLE TOUR WITH DIANA ROSS.
    That was the headline of a Mary Wilson interview that I just read. Its an interview that has been all over the net. That headline is based on this question and answer

Q: There were plans for an original Supremes reunion tour with Ross, but you didn’t sign on. How do you feel about doing it now?

A: I mean, I’d be happy. The situation would have to be really where I felt wanted and paid well.

That sounds far from possible and definitely not probable.

The headline of the article is deceptive and encourages even the avid fan who still holds hope for a re-union to read the entire article.

But even Mary says in the interview that it is not probable.

“People always ask if we will ever reunite,” Wilson said in an interview in a Hollywood recording studio. “But that’s very difficult, because Florence passed away [in 1976]. And, unfortunately, Cindy is having a few illness problems. And I think Diane is into her own stardom. She is a diva, a superstar. Sometimes it’s hard to go back.”

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ross/11098305/

I'm glad Mary said this because I've felt that way for a very long time myself. There will NEVER be a reunion of the Surpemes. Any hope for a reunion was diminished in 1976 when Florence died. I don't even consider the 1983 reunion a reunion of the Supremes. And Mary and Diana don't owe it to NO ONE!

Lulu Guest
    This was ALL over the web today...over it and done! MOVE ON!

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Any hope for a reunion was diminished in 1976 when Florence died.
    Amen to that.
    Some years ago, an interviewer asked George Harrison about the possibility of a Beatles' reunion, to which he replied, simply, "There can be no possibility of a Beatles' reunion so long as John Lennon remains dead."
    Likewise the Supremes.

Who would be Cindy's replacement? After all, she's sick.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Queen View Post
    Who would be Cindy's replacement? After all, she's sick.
    NO ONE. It's over and done! What is Diana going to do...have Mary sing "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"? We totally need to move on from this discussion - AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

Of course it ain't gonna happen. But don't tell us to move on. Most of us have and know that this is something that won't happen. Tell the interviewers to stop asking Mary if there is a chance for a reunion. And also tell Mary to give a definitive answer similar to the one that Diana gave. Mary continues to leave the door open by saying that it could happen if she feels wanted and is paid well. Just say, "We tried to reunite once and it did not work out. At this point in our lives, I don't think it is something that either of us are looking for anymore"

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Of course it ain't gonna happen. But don't tell us to move on. Most of us have and know that this is something that won't happen. Tell the interviewers to stop asking Mary if there is a chance for a reunion. And also tell Mary to give a definitive answer similar to the one that Diana gave. Mary continues to leave the door open by saying that it could happen if she feels wanted and is paid well. Just say, "We tried to reunite once and it did not work out. At this point in our lives, I don't think it is something that either of us are looking for anymore"
    That's what I meant...tired of media asking about it.

She could stipulate that there be no questions about a reunion.

... well, as much i as i agree that a reunion will never happen, i do see a simple solution for the third supreme ... jean terrell!

I saw Miss Ross last night at a wall to wall jam packed Theatre@ Madison Square Garden [[the old Felt Forum), and believe me,'Diane' is doing fine, no reunion required! ..and Rhonda was amazingly talented!!

Mary continues to leave the door open by saying that it could happen if she feels wanted and is paid well. Just say, "We tried to reunite once and it did not work out. At this point in our lives, I don't think it is something that either of us are looking for anymore"
    Mary has almost always taken the middle ground when placed on the spot, which is probably one reason why she has survived in the industry for so long. Even when Gordy was fixing to give Flo the heave-ho and he asked Mary what she thought, she could not, even then, give a "yes" or "no" to that, so it's not surprising that she takes a rather vague stance regarding a reunion which everyone knows will never happen. She probably gets asked about it a lot more, I imagine, than Diane does because Mary's fame is more heavily Supreme-based than Diane's presently is. Telling an interviewer in advance that she will not field questions about a reunion would probably only make that interviewer all the more eager to ask such a question despite this request. You know the media. I imagine if Diane were to reach out and offer her a more equitable remuneration to appear together, which will never happen, either, she would probably agree. Still, it's a moot point since Florence is gone and Cindy apparently is not able to perform anymore. If I were either Diane or Mary I believe I would point that out , thus ending that discussion, and move on to the next question.

Diana gives interviews infrequently. The last time I saw her out promoting anything was when her CD came out years ago. The last time that she was asked about a reunion, she closed the door on it. Her name can still fill large venues as she did at the Garden in NYC last night and has no need to reunite with anyone.

Mary also has had a respectable career and can continue to get gigs. But she has to work harder at it by doing all the Supremes related interviews to keep her name out there as a founding member of the group. Nothing wrong with that. She is using the Supreme Legacy to help her get gigs, but she is also helping to keep the legacy alive.

The only advice I would give Mary [[and why would she listen to advice from me?) is to stop encouraging the possibility that there may ever be a reunion.

The transcript to the interview is in the top link. The link below is a video of her in the actual interview. At the very end of the interview, listen to her answer to the question of if there will ever be a reunion. Instead of closing the door, she slams the door wide open. So we can expect these questions forever.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv...677_video.html

Yeah, Mary could have easily left it with Barbara was not with us when we became famous and Florence died in 1976 and Cindy is unable to perform at this time. Then original three can never reunite so there is no reunion ever, never again on this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Yeah, Mary could have easily left it with Barbara was not with us when we became famous and Florence died in 1976 and Cindy is unable to perform at this time. Then original three can never reunite so there is no reunion ever, never again on this earth.
    Capt.....sad...but true.

supremester Guest
    @BigAl: Remember that WISELY at no time did Miss Ross want anything to do with Mary's finances. After Dreamgirl, the last thing she needed was another spin on how she mistreated Mary - this time financially. It blew up in her face because Mary CHOOSES to be the victim, but the truth is that Ross probably felt the safest thing was for each to make their own deal and that both Mary & Cindy would be way ahead financially because of it - she thought she was doing them a favor. Had she known that Mary would spin production money funds into salary to attack Ross publicly [[and ignore the hundreds of thousands she had to put up to get it started) - the exact situation she was looking to avoid - RTL would never have gotten past the discussion phase. If you recall, the proof that Mary has no issue with untruthfulness, is on 20/20. Filmed months after the 4 million dollar offer was accepted, Mary claims to have been offered "two million. And then, maybe, three......" thus leaving out a bit of fact like that not only was she offered 4 million, but she also accepted it. Would Ross shake The Devil by the tail again??? NEVER. I don't think you will ever see them even in the same room again unless, like on Broadway, it was unavoidable.

supremester Guest
    It would shut the door on a topic the press has interest in. I don't think that Mary is going to embrace anything that would diminish her desirability as an interviewee and Mary loves to be "on." She is a great personality on TV and loves the attention, so to be as up front as to say that due to death and illness, there can be no reunion with Miss Ross, it might reduce her TV time. She COULD reunite with the 70's Supremes - but ignores that elephant in the room totally. If keeping the legacy alive was paramount in her agenda, there would be a 70's reunion. I think the Chicago gig with The 4 Tops might have fared better if it was a 70's reunion with The Tops,

big al sez.."Mary's fame is more heavily Supreme-based than Diane's presently is."

SERIOUSLY?????? Mary's 'fame' is ONLY 'Supreme -based', and specifically Diana Ross/Supreme based, which is why there is no talk of a 70's Supremes reunion...Ross' fame is based on her being DIANA ROSS...

The singin bunnyrabbits will get back together before the supremes do.

The Supremes [[all of them, but especially the original three) have made their mark in music history. Let the reunion talk die and let Diana and Mary do what they do on their own.

Lulu Guest
    I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but how about the timing in all of this? Diana literally starts her tour and Mary hits the talk show circuit? MAYBE it's just a coincidence but it's a little annoying when my Google sends me my daily "Diana Ross" alert and it's half concert reviews and half "Mary Wilson Open To Supremes Reunion"...

Well then, it sounds like your Daily Ross Alerts are working.

No one has to move on. Not even you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but how about the timing in all of this? Diana literally starts her tour and Mary hits the talk show circuit? MAYBE it's just a coincidence but it's a little annoying when my Google sends me my daily "Diana Ross" alert and it's half concert reviews and half "Mary Wilson Open To Supremes Reunion"...
    You must have missed the part about it being the 50th Anniversary of the release of "Where Did Our Love Go?". I am happy with the fact that Mary Wilson is out there reminding the public of it. No one else is doing that as they did for the Beatles back in February. Some interviews I've seen recently, Mary does not even mention Ross.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    No one has to move on. Not even you.
    I could deal without your trademark snark and frankly I'm sure I'm not alone here. I am simply saying I'd rather not wade through the ridiculous "Supremes Reunion" topics that I thought we'd closed the door on FOURTEEN years ago just to see reviews of the shows. Believe me, I enjoyed Mary's interviews on WDOLG at 50 but this other "topic" seems to have percolated quite a bit over the weekend...

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You must have missed the part about it being the 50th Anniversary of the release of "Where Did Our Love Go?". I am happy with the fact that Mary Wilson is out there reminding the public of it. No one else is doing that as they did for the Beatles back in February. Some interviews I've seen recently, Mary does not even mention Ross.
    That's what I said below and I did enjoy seeing Mary...I'm more ::rolling my eyes:: at the news outlets for bringing it up. Just let Mary and Diana do their respective things!!!

Trademark snark, Lulu? I think you must be confusing me with someone else.

Yet here you are in the thread, positioning yourself into it by expressing your displeasure regarding what the thread is about, and telling members not to discuss what some are obviously interested in discussing. The thread's heading made it very clear what the thread was intended to be about. If it didn't interest you, why enter it to begin with? A difference of opinion is one thing; your attempt to end the conversation by telling others to 'move on' is quite another. It's a lot of information about you.

I see the article, the short interview got picked up by the Associated Press. At least they got some press for Where Did Our Love Go. Was nice to see.

By Mike Cidoni Lennox

Associated Press Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES — Someday they’ll be together — well, maybe.

Mary Wilson, the longest-reigning member of the original Supremes, is open to a reunion tour with the legendary pop trio’s best-known member, Diana Ross.

Ross, Wilson and Florence Ballard made up the first successful configuration of the group. Cindy Birdsong replaced Ballard in 1967. With 12 No. 1 singles from 1964-70, The Supremes [[later, Diana Ross & The Supremes) became the biggest female vocal group in chart history.

“People always ask if we will ever reunite,” Wilson said in an interview in a Hollywood recording studio. “But that’s very difficult, because Florence passed away [[in 1976). And, unfortunately, Cindy is having a few illness problems. And I think Diana is into her own stardom. She is a diva, a superstar. Sometimes it’s hard to go back.”

But reflections were no problem for the 70-year-old Wilson, who reminisced on a major milestone — the 50th anniversary of the Supremes first No. 1, million-selling song, “Where Did Our Love Go,” released June 17, 1964.

The Associated Press: What did you think when you first heard the song?

Wilson: I don’t think we liked it at all. … So, I remember Eddie [[Holland, the song’s co-writer) saying, “Trust me. This is going to be a smash.”

AP: You were touring during that period. When did you realize The Supremes finally had a smash?

Wilson: I remember that instead of going home on the bus, we flew. That was our first plane ride. We flew home. We had really hit big.

AP: It would be the first of five consecutive No. 1s — still the most in a row for a female vocal group.

Wilson: After we did that, the music became more sophisticated. It wasn’t a bubblegum as “Where Did Our Love Go” or “Baby Love.”

AP: You ended up becoming the longest-reigning original Supreme, staying with the group until it was officially disbanded by Motown in 1977.

Wilson: I recall when we first got together, when I met Diane, Flo, Betty [[McGlown) — the fourth member, when we were The Primettes — I absolutely felt complete. I absolutely never had another thought of doing anything else in my life.

AP: Still, it wasn’t always easy being a Supreme.

Wilson: It’s not easy for girls to stay together. We’re different than guys. Guys can be on a team, fighting, and then they go out and have a beer together. Girls cannot do that. We hold on to it for a long time.

AP: When last did you see Diana?

Wilson: At the Broadway musical [[”Motown: The Musical,” which premiered April 2013), which was beautiful. … Everyone was there and we all embraced: Berry [[Gordy, Motown’s founder), me, Diane.

AP: Has the musical revived interest in The Supremes?

Wilson: Just like when the movie and the Broadway play “Dreamgirls” was out. I tell everyone, “It’s not about The Supremes,” because I know, because I didn’t get paid. [[Laughs.) But, still, it did bring a different demographic to that era.

AP: Girls groups have been in and out since the record business began. Right now, there aren’t so many.

Wilson: [[The music business) is a male world. It’s women who listen to and love male singers. That’s why males are more constant in the arena. Whereas women, we kind of come and go.

AP: What do you think the impact of The Supremes has been on today’s female artists?

Wilson: I think that they really leaned a lot from the past. They come out as real women, saying, “This is who we are.” So, you’ve got this movement where women are in charge of their lives, in charge of everything.

AP: Do you talk to Diana?

Wilson: Yes, we do talk, but not as often as I would like to. We do. And we are. The hearts are there. We’re like sisters. I love Flo and Diane to this day, almost as much as I love my own sister.

AP: There were plans for an original Supremes reunion tour with Ross, but you didn’t sign on. How do you feel about doing it now?

Wilson: I mean, I’d be happy. The situation would have to be really where I felt wanted and paid well. So, yeah, if the opportunity came and it was all done right and correctly, yes, I’d love it. Are you kidding? It would be the culmination of that dream. That’s what people are asking. But I’m only one part. We were a trio

I have been saying this for over 14 years now even before RTL and that is Diana and Mary will not sing together on stage again in this lifetime.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Trademark snark, Lulu? I think you must be confusing me with someone else.

Yet here you are in the thread, positioning yourself into it by expressing your displeasure regarding what the thread is about, and telling members not to discuss what some are obviously interested in discussing. The thread's heading made it very clear what the thread was intended to be about. If it didn't interest you, why enter it to begin with? A difference of opinion is one thing; your attempt to end the conversation by telling others to 'move on' is quite another. It's a lot of information about you.
    I do think the fans need to move on but they won't. This is obviously something that folks are still holding on to and are hoping will happen "Someday". I should have backed up my initial post by saying what I said further down in the thread which is that I wished the media had stayed focused on the WDOLG 50th and highlighted what Mary's been up to vs. rehashing the "reunion" talk. As a Supremes fan who'd never go to a Mary Wilson concert or one who has zero interest in a reunion it's just annoying to even have this popping up amidst news on Diana Ross's current tour especially as it drowned out the latter. I didn't even know Diana had performed on Wednesday! Anywhoo, I have plenty of close friends who are Mary fans and are still holding out for the "reunion". Maybe I should simply go back into my Google Alerts and modify "Diana Ross" to read "Diana Ross -reunion".

That's all...

Most people wouldn't care who they got for the third spot as long as Mary and Diana reunited. However, the possibilities for that third spot are quite a few: Scherrie, Lynda, Susaye. If a reunion is to happen it needs to be soon, however. Never say never, anything is possible.

...never.....

My choice for the third spot, if that were to become necessary, would be Marlene Barrow of The Andantes. Of course I don't know if this would be something Marlene would want to do but since she had filled in for Florence in the past at times, Marlene's appearance in a reunion has real appeal to me. Outside of Cindy, she would seem to have the next truest connection to the original group and its past. It would present what you might actually see and hear back in the day.

But, ultimately, another try at a reunion just doesn't seem likely to happen. For many reasons.

Amazing Amazing Truly Amazing
    If Diana and Mary need to find a third then it goes against every argument that was trying to based with Lynda and Scherrie with Diana. Diana is doing GREAT with her own tour as it is. Mary would do go to reunite with Jean and Lynda or Scherrie and Susaye. However, I don't want to hear Jean singing "Come See About Me" or Scherrie singing " Baby Love".

smark21 Guest
    It's not going to happen, but let's say it was in the works, then Scherrie would be the ideal 3rd member as both Diana and Mary have worked with her and like her.

I don't know about any of you, but the reunion void was filled for me when Diana and Mary reunited at the premiere of Motown: The Musical last year. Standing side by side, smiling, taking pictures together, no drama, etc...that was all I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I don't know about any of you, but the reunion void was filled for me when Diana and Mary reunited at the premiere of Motown: The Musical last year. Standing side by side, smiling, taking pictures together, no drama, etc...that was all I needed.
    That photo-op was a wonderful surprise for die-hard fans, even though the smiles were forced. Not that anyone would expect fur and feathers to fly, or for the two to ignore one another. [[I know, I know: many folks would have enjoyed nothing more!) Both women knew full well that the other would be there and both would certainly have prepared themselves for the eventuality. Many, if not most, of us have had to manage confrontations with erstwhile friends or difficult family members at gatherings and it's a simple matter to keep it cordial and civil — must simpler in fact than attempting avoidance or engaging in outright discord. Those photos might well have been the last ever taken of those two together, barring, say, a funeral of a mutual friend or loved one, so they should be treasured if only for that reason.

Totally Agree !!!

Exactly. Anything after that is too much.

Crystaledwards Guest
    MARY WILSON TALKS ABOUT POSSIBLE TOUR WITH DIANA ROSS.
    That was the headline of a Mary Wilson interview that I just read. Its an interview that has been all over the net. That headline is based on this question and answer

Q: There were plans for an original Supremes reunion tour with Ross, but you didn’t sign on. How do you feel about doing it now?

A: I mean, I’d be happy. The situation would have to be really where I felt wanted and paid well.

That sounds far from possible and definitely not probable.

The headline of the article is deceptive and encourages even the avid fan who still holds hope for a re-union to read the entire article.

But even Mary says in the interview that it is not probable.

“People always ask if we will ever reunite,” Wilson said in an interview in a Hollywood recording studio. “But that’s very difficult, because Florence passed away [in 1976]. And, unfortunately, Cindy is having a few illness problems. And I think Diane is into her own stardom. She is a diva, a superstar. Sometimes it’s hard to go back.”

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ross/11098305/

I think all these questions about a Supremes reunion are rather disingenuous to both Mary and Diana. Hopefully Ms. Wilson will eventually just say no when asked if a reunion with Ms. Ross is possible. Mary knows this question is both difficult and impossible to answer honestly as she and Diana rarely communicate these days, but she also knows it keeps her name in the news and gives her the outlet needed to endlessly plug a CD she recorded 12 years ago that has yet to be released. If Mary played the press with the possibility of a JMC or MSS reunion, she knows it wouldn't garner the same interest as a Diana, Mary reunion. Given how rarely Ms. Ross grants interviews to the American media, Ms. Wilson is the kind of garrulous person the press goes to about Diana Ross, even though she knows little about her former friend.

Mary Wilson is a great talent but hasn’t gotten the big break she deserves. This is partly due to luck, bad management, bankrupted record companies and her disputatious nature.

One hopes her Life’s Been Good to Me CD will get released presently and bring her the success she ultimately deserves.

CE

To be honest, it sounds to me that all Mary cares about is the $$$$$$$