[REMOVE ADS]

Ruby Dee - R.I.P

Ruby Dee -- one of the legendary actresses in Hollywood and on Broadway -- died Wednesday night ... TMZ has learned.

Ruby was at home in New Rochelle, NY ... surrounded by family when she passed away ... according to sources connected to the family. A rep confirmed the death.

Ruby was a pioneer for African-American women in Hollywood ... and is perhaps best known for her starring role in the 1960s film "A Raisin in the Sun" -- and her roles in several Spike Lee movies ... including "Do the Right Thing" and "Jungle Fever." Her most recent big budget Hollywood film was "American Gangster" ... she played Denzel Washington's mother.

Ruby was a poet and screenwriter. She's won a Grammy, an Emmy ... and received the National Medal of Arts.

She and her late husband Ossie Davis were also hugely active in the Civil Rights movement -- often demonstrating with Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.

Ruby was 89 years old.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/12/ruby-d...#ixzz34RX4RdvC

I made a mistake with this - it needs to be moved to the Clubhouse - sorry...
    Last edited by GrtGzu; 06-12-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Sad news. Now she and Ozzie are back together again.

Crystaledwards Guest
    A truly great artist who conquered every milieu she entered.

CE

I was floored when I saw this on Yahoo today but I realize she is with Ozzie now and she did live a long and fruitful life. RIP she was truly an icon.

Ruby Dee is a true American Icon. I loved all of her work and now thank her for sharing her God given talent with us for all of these years. Absolutely loved her! Rest in peace Mrs. Davis

Marv

thomas96 Guest
    Very sad. She and Ossie were amazing. Possibly the best chemistry between a couple on stage ever. Of course they were married, but still amazing.

LadyLola Guest
    An amazing woman.

Saw this on line and thought it was touching and beautiful Name:  rubyossie.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  42.5 KB

As saddened as I am about her passing I know Ruby lived a very full and productive life as
    did Maya who just left us recently. Phenomenal women, both and I'm glad for all they left
    us who are still around to remember and appreciate it. RIP, Ruby Dee...