[REMOVE ADS]

Jeopardy Question Tonight...

a question on Jeopardy was ' label that Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder recorded for"..the contestant said "Motown" and was told they were correct...technically shouldn't the answer have been Tamla?

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    a question on Jeopardy was ' label that Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder recorded for"..the contestant said "Motown" and was told they were correct...technically shouldn't the answer have been Tamla?
    NO one would have gotten TAMLA! LOL!

smark21 Guest
    Shouldn't they have responded "What is Motown?" to get the answer correct on Jeopardy?

We talked about that in my house as well. Any Motown fan worth their salt would know that Smokey and Stevie were on the Tamla label, but the average person would say "HUH?" or "WHAT?" So I guess we should count our lucky stars that they chose to even mention Motown in any capacity.

Have you ever noticed that either the writers or Alex himself have their favorite subjects that come up as often as possible? For example, how many times have we heard Alex say "RRRRRROOOOBBBIE BURRRRNNNS?"

To elicit a reply of "Motown", I would have expected Jeopardy to have been savvy enough to use record company instead of label.

supremester Guest
    Motown is technically correct as both have released product on the Motown label.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Motown is technically correct as both have released product on the Motown label.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes! When all the subsidiaries were folded into Motown, both recorded for it. Of course, Smokey also recorded as a solo act for Tamla. So the question about which "label" required to get "Motown" as the answer should have been: Name a record label for whom both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded", or "What was the second label for which both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded?"
    "Name the record company for whom both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded" would have also worked. They should have asked a slightly tougher question, like: "for which producer did The Matadors make their demo record in 1957?"

I never gave the consolidation of the subsidiaries into Motown a thought. To be honest, I still don't think much of it.

Stevie on Gordy too.............Eivets Rednow!

Over here we've had so many Tv quiz progs that ask the question. What was the name of the record company founded by Berry Gordy ?[[sometimes they are worded differently)
    They accept Tamla Motown as the correct answer every time.

I always used the name 'Tamla-Motown' until at least the late 60s.

Is it true that Kim Weston was once introduced on a UK stage as 'Pamela Motown' - ?!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes! When all the subsidiaries were folded into Motown, both recorded for it. Of course, Smokey also recorded as a solo act for Tamla. So the question about which "label" required to get "Motown" as the answer should have been: Name a record label for whom both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded", or "What was the second label for which both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded?"
    "Name the record company for whom both Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson recorded" would have also worked. They should have asked a slightly tougher question, like: "for which producer did The Matadors make their demo record in 1957?"
    Wild guess robb. on your Matador's question...........Nat Tarnopol

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I always used the name 'Tamla-Motown' until at least the late 60s.

Is it true that Kim Weston was once introduced on a UK stage as 'Pamela Motown' - ?!
    Me too!
    Pamela Motown? Made me laugh!!

Elton John was always a big Motown fan, and I once saw him in the audience when at a Stevie Wonder concert. On one occasion he was asked if he had a girlfriend, and he gave the answer "Pamela Motown".