[REMOVE ADS]

African-American Singing Cowboy Herb Jeffries passes

Pioneering African American Singing Cowboy Herb Jeffries passed away at the age of 100. He was probably the first African American singing cowboy that many saw on the big screen [[at least when they could see it).
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/ar...-100.html?_r=0

There were some nice tributes to Herb on public radio over the last week.I have him on
    Duke Ellington's work. Not surprised that this thread hasn't seen an earlier response,
    Ihave to say...

splanky,
    I put quite a bit about Herb up on Jimmy's official facebook page at:
    LEGENDARY JIMMY SCOTT

Herb was Jimmy's childhood idol.
    Born Umberto Valentino in Detroit in 1913.
    Herb's mother was Irish, his father was mixed race of Sicilian, Portuguese, Spanish, Native American, & Afro-American. He was always proud of his black heritage and considered himself a man of color. He was quite the showman as a very dramatic baritone singer and actor. He performed into his mid 90's, Jimmy saw him sing in Hollywood when he was 93 years old!
    Name:  h4.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  88.1 KB

S.S.

Hi Soul Sister; I was hopeing that you would respond to this thread, as I was pretty sure that you and Jimmy knew Mr. Jeffries. Thank you!

Hi Stingbeelee,
    You're welcome. Jimmy met Herb through some Hollywood friends later in life, I was not with him when they met, they also had dinner together. Jimmy saw his movies and heard his singing as far back as in the 1930's when he was becoming familiar with the singer's of the day he heard on the radio. He also admired Ethel Waters, Louie Armstrong , of course his favorite Paul Robeson, and when he first heard his favorite song [[which he is now known for "When Did You Leave Heaven") which was a hit for Bing Crosby in 1933. A few of Jimmy's earliest influences.

S.S.