[REMOVE ADS]

Maya Angelou Died...

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Award-winning author, renowned poet and civil rights activist Dr. Maya Angelou has died. She was 86.

Mayor Allen Joines confirmed Angelou was found by her caretaker on Wednesday morning.

Angelou had been reportedly battling health problems. She recently canceled a scheduled appearance of a special event to be held in her honor.

Angelou was set to be honored with the “Beacon of Life Award” at the 2014 MLB Beacon Award Luncheon on May 30 in Houston.

Angelou, one of the most renowned and influential voices of our time, is a celebrated poet, novelist, educator, producer, actress, filmmaker and civil rights activist.

She has received over 50 honorary degrees and was Reynolds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University.

Angelou is famous for saying, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

There are no further details at this time.

http://myfox8.com/2014/05/28/maya-angelou-dead-at-86/

http://www.wxii12.com/news/dr-maya-a..._campaign=wxii

Crystaledwards Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post
    WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Award-winning author, renowned poet and civil rights activist Dr. Maya Angelou has died. She was 86.

Mayor Allen Joines confirmed Angelou was found by her caretaker on Wednesday morning.

Angelou had been reportedly battling health problems. She recently canceled a scheduled appearance of a special event to be held in her honor.

Angelou was set to be honored with the “Beacon of Life Award” at the 2014 MLB Beacon Award Luncheon on May 30 in Houston.

Angelou, one of the most renowned and influential voices of our time, is a celebrated poet, novelist, educator, producer, actress, filmmaker and civil rights activist.

She has received over 50 honorary degrees and was Reynolds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University.

Angelou is famous for saying, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

There are no further details at this time.

http://myfox8.com/2014/05/28/maya-angelou-dead-at-86/

http://www.wxii12.com/news/dr-maya-a..._campaign=wxii
    A marvelous human being who will be greatly missed.

CE

Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post
    Very profound!

I had the honor of meeting the great lady some years ago,very nice person,she will be missed..r.i.p.

Maya was a major influence on so much of our history and culture in America but sadly the significance of her passing will probably go completely over the head of more than 75 percent of our youth today no matter their race of ethnicity. RIP...

I have to admit that I know little of Maya but I do know that BUCKSHOT LE FONQUE, in collaboration with BRANFORD MARSALIS, put one of her poems to music with stunning effect ....

RIP Maya ...

Roger

Buckshot Le Fonque was Branford's own group creation. The collaboration there is with
    Maya Angelou who recited her own work for Branford's release at his request. And I know
    Maya got paid too for her very dignified reading...

A woman of many wise words. Two of my favorites are "When people show you who they are, believe them" and "If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be". She will truly be missed.

Rest in peace Ms. Angelou. Say hello to Sam Greenlee [["The Spook that Sat By the Door") who also left us this past week when you get there. Thanks to you "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"!

Marv

LadyLola Guest
    A true American treasure. I will never forget her poem at President Clinton's 1st swearing in. I hoped she would be able to be there for the next President Clinton's inaugural.