[REMOVE ADS]

National Recording Studio of Detroit

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  21.1 KB
    There's been some controversy on Soul-Source [[ Northern Soul) Forum over demo records from National of 1960s Motown recordings that were never released on plastic. If I remember correctly, National Recording Studios didn't start operating until the mid 1970s or, certainly no earlier than the early 1970s. If that is true, the 7 or 10-inch NRS demos of those 1960s unreleased cuts would NOT have been made by Motown, as we [[at Motown in the 1970s and '80s) did NOT have demo records made for the cuts we were considering for oldies release.

I remember Ron Murphy using National a lot for his own labels' releases, and to make demos for recordings he was shopping. But those all took place in the '70s and '80s. I don't remember seeing any demos or acetates made by National before the 1970s. If it is true that National was not yet in operation in the 1960s, that means that those demos were made by Northern soul DJs or dealers, to "pass off" as legitimate originals, so they could be played by NS DJs [[and bought for astronomical prices).

I need to hear from long-time Detroiters [[Ralph, Russ, Stu, Carl, Spyder, Dennis, Clay, Lorraine, etc.) to confirm whether or not National started up in the '70s, or was actually operating during the '60s, AND that Motown ever used them to make demo records.

It's my contention that they started up in the 1970s, and so, those demos were NOT originally ordered and purchased by Motown during the 1960s. I am also curious to know if Motown EVER used National to make demo pressings of ANY records [[even in the 1970s or 1980s) Perhaps Keith Hughes or Andy Rix would be helpful with this second question.
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-23-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Views: 156
    None of you long time Detroiters remember National? Even i remember seeing demos from there in the '70s. I just need to find out if they were in operation in the mid '60s. There's nothing on The Internet about them.

Views: 157
    Keith Hughes answered my question, NSC didn't start until 1989.