[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Oh my goodness! Soupy & a naked woman. Was he cheating on Peaches???? What was this world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Im still on the fence about attending the show[[not about the show itself but getting my work schedule cleared) but it would be fun to have a Soulful Detroit table!
    Glen P. Wood, come on down!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Ah, Soupy Sales. If you ever get a chance to see the PBS special on his life, there's a great segment where he opens the back door, and instead of White Fang or Black Tooth, there's a naked woman! The crew was playing a joke on him...it's hilarious!

But balloons saved the day [[and not Helen and Kay Lewis balloons, either)!!!

supremester Guest
    Miss Ross intro'd this as "I Don't know Why" on The Hollywood Palace but I thought she was just struggling with all the cue cards that first time.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    But balloons saved the day [[and not Helen and Kay Lewis' balloons, either)!!!
    Amazing what a small missing apostrophe can do to change the meaning of a post.

supremester Guest
    Carol, I've prolly never let you know that I appreciate all of your knowledge - thank you for sharing it!

Was Stevie privy to the early discussion of the formulation of the Brady Bunch when he wrote "Oh My Marcia" aka "My Cherie Amour" ? Was Marcia helping Mama make homemade jam? Was she the one who kept tabs on the married nouveau rich Diana, husband & baby?

Odd. WOMR comes through on my iPhone using the TuneIn app but not through tunein.com on my iMac using Safari or Chrome.

Otis Williams was one of the Originals? You don't say; the things you learn here... Language is funny , isn't it!?

supremester Guest
    JP: I was going to request this long version as ESSENTIAL.......but I forgot. Thanks for being on the same page. Next to Ain;t No Mountain High Enough, this is fave LP version of anything. This entire LP kicked ass!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Odd. WOMR comes through on my iPhone using the TuneIn app but not through tunein.com on my iMac using Safari or Chrome.

Howdy, thanxal!! Glad if you can get the show on 2 dixies and a string!!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    JP: I was going to request this long version as ESSENTIAL.......but I forgot. Thanks for being on the same page. Next to Ain;t No Mountain High Enough, this is fave LP version of anything. This entire LP kicked ass!

Honey....We is terrific, Gregg!!! Absolutely brilliance and poetry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Howdy, thanxal!! Glad if you can get the show on 2 dixies and a string!!
    Did you or did you not forget the letter 'g' after the phrase 'and a ' in that sentence????!!!!

Did you or did you not forget the letter 'g' after the phrase 'and a ' in that sentence????!!!!
    Im cornfused.....

Oh, that would ruin everyone's night!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Im cornfused.....

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......I GOT it!!!!! hahahahahahahhahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa

Welcome to the club!
    Oh oh dixies =cups; it could've meant something entirely different!!!

Although 'cups' coupled with 'g' in that would also lead to further thoughts/cornfusion.

Sorry Howard, we must have been typing at the same time.
    No need to apollo-gize, carole :-) I see that we essentially both wrote the same thing in a slightly different way, yes? :-)

re: DYKYHTCS......I wonder why A&S left out that 3rd verse [[on GK and the Pips version) from Diana's version....would have made it even more interesting.....

Thanks, I could also have Kerry Gordy-ized but then I would have been 10 years out of synch.

Love i'll Try Something New. Deserved to be a top 10 hit...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Love i'll Try Something New. Deserved to be a top 10 hit...
    It's so pretty......

Really have always liked "Your Wonderful Love" by Chuck Jackson. I wasn't aware until a few years ago that it was originally recorded at Motown back in the early 1960s, but I don't recall by whom off-hand. Carole..do you recall? Thanks!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

The tempting Temptations on the Miracle label

The tempting Temptations on the Miracle label
    OK. Great. I was not certain if it was the Tempts or Eddie Holland.

I also like Chris Clark's version on the U.K. Anthology, especially the instrumentation cut in New York.

Does anyone know anything about The Shivelles, to whom "Honey Love" was first assigned?

How do you know it's not The Shivelles on background vocals on Honey Love? Just askin.

Second intersection of the night... will the third one be charming?

How do you know it's not The Shivelles on background vocals on Honey Love? Just askin.
    Well....does ANY of us really know ANYTHING for SURE?

Would anyone have used a name that close to the Shirelles?

I also like Chris Clark's version on the U.K. Anthology, especially the instrumentation cut in New York.
    I'd forgotten about Chris Clark's version being on that collection, Carole. Thanks for pointing this out.

Love Jonah Jones' version of "Don't Mess With Bill." Nice!

RossHolloway Guest
    I think the Composer is a greatly under appreciated song by The Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I think the Composer is a greatly under appreciated song by The Supremes.
    I think it's a decent song, but don't you think Diane sings in too high of a register for her? Her voice sounds strained throughout as if she's singing out of her range.

supremester Guest
    Your extended Composer is the house version at my place - SUPREME!!!!!

This is the best version of "The Composer" hands down! Great work John!

So much ear candy in the arrangement. Great work as always John!

I've never understand why so many people dislike "The Composer". Diana sings it well, it's a pretty tune, and I can relate to the lyrics as I used to compile a weekly personal chart. Great remix, John.

I have my own theory, which may be entirely wrong.. but it is interesting.
    As all those who recorded it at Motown either were a girl group [[Velvelettes, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas or had a female lead singer [[the Elgins), and as the name 'Shivelles' sounds feminine, it wouldn't surprise me if Motown was thinking of recording & releasing another Andantes recording [[with Ann Bogan on lead). Perhaps a new name Shivelles was going to be used, as the Andantes VIP single had not exactly lit up the charts 3 years earlier.The recording session may have been scrapped/erased once Gladys Horton announced her departure from the Marvelettes and Ann Bogan was selected to be her replacement.
    Is anyone in touch with Ann, whom it has been reported does not often talk about her Motown days?

RossHolloway Guest
    I would love to hear an accapella version of the Composer. Diana just sings the song beautifully.

Good to be back on track with TCMS. Great show! Thanks John, thanks all. See y'all next time, again in 1969!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I've never understand why so many people dislike "The Composer". Diana sings it well, it's a pretty tune, and I can relate to the lyrics as I used to compile a weekly personal chart. Great remix, John.
    Back then I didn't like it initially because it sounded so light to me. It didn't seem to have any bass to it. And I prefered the more driving bass sound that MoTown seem to moving away from. The 45 version on the Supremes Ultimate Collection is pretty good. But John really brought out the quality of the song with his mix.

I have my own theory, which may be entirely wrong.. but it is interesting.
    As all those who recorded it at Motown either were a girl group [[Velvelettes, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas or had a female lead singer [[the Elgins), and as the name 'Shivelles' sounds feminine, it wouldn't surprise me if Motown was thinking of recording & releasing another Andantes recording [[with Ann Bogan on lead). Perhaps a new name Shivelles was going to be used, as the Andantes VIP single had not exactly lit up the charts 3 years earlier.The recording session may have been scrapped/erased once Gladys Horton announced her departure from the Marvelettes and Ann Bogan was selected to be her replacement.
    Is anyone in touch with Ann, whom it has been reported does not often talk about her Motown days?
    My theory is that Motown was considering signing the Shirelles. Rs and Vs can be mistaken for each other when handwritten, so when it was typed up "Shirelles" became "Shivelles". I completely made this up, but it does sound remarkably plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    My theory is that Motown was considering signing the Shirelles. Rs and Vs can be mistaken for each other when handwritten, so when it was typed up "Shirelles" became "Shivelles". I completely made this up, but it does sound remarkably plausible.
    An interesting fact - the Shirelles Scepter contract was up in 1966- and there had been ill will between them and Florence Greenberg over a promised trust fund that had never been set up. So........

An interesting fact - the Shirelles Scepter contract was up in 1966- and there had been ill will between them and Florence Greenberg over a promised trust fund that had never been set up. So........
    Another connection...The Shirelles "Last Minute Miracle" is a rewrite of "You Hit Me Where It Hurt Me".

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Back then I didn't like it initially because it sounded so light to me. It didn't seem to have any bass to it. And I prefered the more driving bass sound that MoTown seem to moving away from. The 45 version on the Supremes Ultimate Collection is pretty good. But John really brought out the quality of the song with his mix.
    Thank you Joseph and Glen and Martin and Gregg!