[REMOVE ADS]

thomas96 Guest

List of songs that the Originals sang background on?

Clarify between ones you know for sure and ones you just believe. I think this will be a good reference thread. To start,

Know for sure:

I've Passed This Way Before - Jimmy Ruffin
    What Becomes of the Brokenhearted - Jimmy Ruffin
    You - Marvin Gaye
    Chained - Marvin Gaye
    Just to Keep You Satisfied - Marvin Gaye

I know some more but can't think this late, will add more tomorrow...
    Please help make this a good reference thread by adding all that you can think of.

"My Whole World Ended" - David Ruffin
    "For Once In My Life" - Stevie Wonder
    "25 Miles" - Edwin Star
    has the Originals on background vocals.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-23-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Here Comes The Judge - Shorty Long

I know that The Originals had several excellent albums and compilations. Did they regularly perform in live concerts and clubs during that period? I have no recollection of them performing.

The Originals need a re-issue.
    The same concept that worked on the Gladys Knight & Pips 2fers would be ideal.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I know that The Originals had several excellent albums and compilations. Did they regularly perform in live concerts and clubs during that period? I have no recollection of them performing.
    They did tour, but not regularly. A lot of their time was spent in the studio recording backups. They were the male counterpart of the Andantes.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    They did tour, but not regularly. A lot of their time was spent in the studio recording backups. They were the male counterpart of the Andantes.
    That's pretty much my understanding.

From what I remember they also did the back ups on Marvin's Sad Tommorows which
    was the b-side version of Flying High In The Friendly Sky from What's Goin' On...Marvin
    loved their harmonies...

Isn't that The Pips backing Marvin on "You" - ?

I can clearly hear Gladys between 1.18-1.27, and 1.55-2.03....

They are on the backgrounds of Edwin Starr's "WAR!", along with some other singers.......

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

Just recently, Gladys said that she and the Pips did the backgrounds for YOU. Of course, the Originals could be on there as well, but she didn't mention them.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Just recently, Gladys said that she and the Pips did the backgrounds for YOU. Of course, the Originals could be on there as well, but she didn't mention them.
    Yep, Those are the pips and Gladys on "You"! I also hear them on Marvin's version of "At Last" and on "I Pray Everyday [[You Won't Regret Loving Me) the latter being appropriate since Gladys and Bubba wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Yep, Those are the pips and Gladys on "You"! I also hear them on Marvin's version of "At Last" and on "I Pray Everyday [[You Won't Regret Loving Me) the latter being appropriate since Gladys and Bubba wrote it.
    Wow, this is something I never knew. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    There really should be a nice re-issue done on the Originals. An deluxe expanded edition of some of Gladys & the Pips albums would be great as well.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

It's a combination. I know for sure that Hank and Freddie are singing harmony on the deeper 'You' part that kind of syncs with the bass. Gladys is on it, not sure which Pips or any other Originals, but some kind of combination.

The Originals sing on pretty much the whole "In The Groove" album from Marvin.

thomas 96
    "The Originals sing on pretty much the whole "In The Groove" album from Marvin."

The In "the Groove album", as with all Motown albums prior to about 1971 would be made up of many sessions , spread over quite a long time, with various producers...A & S, Ivy Hunter, Norman Whitfield,Mickey Gentile, Frank Wilson etc...whilst The Original would definitely feature heavily, we can't know who are on the album for sure.

RossHolloway Guest
    Weren't the Spinners still doing backgound work?

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Weren't the Spinners still doing backgound work?
    From '63-'65 they did the bulk of the male background vocals but after that, and I'm not sure why, they didn't do nearly as much. They toured a lot more, and even did a lot of the behind the scenes stuff and organizing of the tours.

thomas96 Guest
    thomas 96
    "The Originals sing on pretty much the whole "In The Groove" album from Marvin."

The In "the Groove album", as with all Motown albums prior to about 1971 would be made up of many sessions , spread over quite a long time, with various producers...A & S, Ivy Hunter, Norman Whitfield,Mickey Gentile, Frank Wilson etc...whilst The Original would definitely feature heavily, we can't know who are on the album for sure.
    I know for sure they are on at least 4 of those songs, and I believe others as well. True we can't know for sure who exactly, but I do know on You, Chained, At Last [[I Found A Love), Tear It On Down [[Originals even had their own version of this track too), and I believe Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever, and Every Now & Then.

AMEN!!! Only three of the original eight LPs made CD debuts.

If I remember correctly, the GKP reissues were only done in the EU and not here in the US. The only one I purchased included a few bonus cuts and a booklet, but lacked good artwork. Full-size cover shots in the booklet would be greatly appreciated with any Original's reissues.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    AMEN!!! Only three of the original eight LPs made CD debuts.

If I remember correctly, the GKP reissues were only done in the EU and not here in the US. The only one I purchased included a few bonus cuts and a booklet, but lacked good artwork. Full-size cover shots in the booklet would be greatly appreciated with any Original's reissues.
    Agreed , but if it's a choice of booklet/photos not used to spare costs then I'll accept that.
    The GK&Ps were an ideal comprise ....and would work for the Originals LPs.