[REMOVE ADS]

There's A Place For Us CD

I wasn't on these boards when this release came out but I've been listening to it a lot recently - what a terrific example of how great Diana, Mary & Flo were together! Thanks to all of those involved for such a wonderful gift from the Motown vaults...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is an example of HipO at its best!!! A complete, unreleased LP with numerous additional tracks. A nice booklet and packaging. A real gem for fans and otherwise.

Recalling this excellent release brings to mind why so many folks were saddened by the FUNNY GIRL release format. Duplicating THERE'S A PLACE FOR US would have been wonderful.

By the way, is HipO's Motown Select branch out of business?

It's a great CD. One of my favorites is Mr.Sandman. The ladies harmonies are so smooth and light and airy!

I like the album but one track that I was not impressed with was "Fancy Passes". Diana's lead vocal is just OK but it sounded like Mary and Florence only did one take with the background vocal and does not sound right. When they performed it on Sammy's show it was a much better and with-it performance than the studio version.

supremester Guest
    I forgot how great this album is. I agree that Fancy Passes isn't fully realized on here and they really did improve it. It's not easy turning a song into a show piece for three even though all three were up to the challenge. They sound so good together: three perfect voices for blending together.

I think "There's a Place For Us" and the "David" [[Ruffin) lost LPs are my favorite of all the Hip-O releases. Both are great.

I love the material on "Place." Even "Fancy Passes" [[is this a Gil Askey song or arrangement?) was written to sound like a show tune, and does. It could have been in a show like "Sweet Charity." I also love the other standards the girls do on the album such as "You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves you." Fantastic.

The "David" is such a wonderful project; I can't believe it was never released.

I agree. Both are examples of what Hip-O does best.