[REMOVE ADS]

Bonnie Pointer - "Free Me From My Freedom!"

Many years ago, in a far away land [[Colorado) I first heard this little gem during the zenith of my party days , hehehehehehehe! Bonnie Pointer and "Free Me From My Freedom" that is very much overlooked Motown semi-classic. It was somewhat controversial at the time of it's release in the Fall of 1978. Complete with prominent banjo LOL! Give a listen and remember just how good Bonnie sounded:

I loved this song and as a DJ played the hell out of it. Motown promoted it but AM stations just wouldn't play it because they considered it S&M. Bonnie said she came up with the tag line "Tie me to a tree, handcuff me" but said it was about emotional bondage, not physical. I don't think many people believed her. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I loved this song and as a DJ played the hell out of it. Motown promoted it but AM stations just wouldn't play it because they considered it S&M. Bonnie said she came up with the tag line "Tie me to a tree, handcuff me" but said it was about emotional bondage, not physical. I don't think many people believed her. LOL

It was on the radio all the time around Sept-Oct 1978, Station KDKO played it often. The controversy was real, but it was also overblown. Jet Magazine caught wind of it and ran with it. We just liked the groove Bonnie and the musicians were putting down.

LadyLola Guest
    I wish she would have stayed with her sisters. I like of the of the solo stuff she put out. But the four of those women together .... just wonderful.

I really like this track - and the 'prominent banjo' [[!) but yes, I also did find myself wondering just how it would have sounded had Bonnie's sisters been there with her....

One of my favourite 70s Motown tracks.

Loved the arrangement on 'Heaven Must Have Sent You', too.....

Great album.

always liked this song, surprised it wasn't a hit

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    always liked this song, surprised it wasn't a hit
    It didn't go to number one but it was a hit ,at least I always thought it did well. Lots of airplay and lots of talk about it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLola View Post
    I wish she would have stayed with her sisters. I like of the of the solo stuff she put out. But the four of those women together .... just wonderful.
    I agree. The Sisters' Blue thumb sides were their most sophisticated music. Once they went mainstream pop and Jeffrey spirited Bonnie away to Motown it was never the same. Not to say that the phenomenal chart success of the trio or Bonnie's club hits were anything to sneeze at, but I can still listen to their debut Blue Thumb album and never tire of it.

The song I am most missing from Bonnie is "Deep Inside My Soul". I have it on the album which is in storage, but can't find it anywhere on the internet, not even Pandora.