[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Do you prefer the Chic version on every cut, or which ones? I like a mix.
    Good question!

Here's how I break it down:
    Upside Down - both
    Tenderness - Bob Clearmountain mix
    Friend To Friend - Bob Clearmountain mix
    I'm Coming Out - Russ Terrana mix
    Have Fun [[Again) - Russ Terrana mix
    My Old Piano - Russ Terrana mix
    Now That's You're Gone - Bob Clearmountain mix
    Give Up - Bob Clearmountain mix

So, for me it's an almost split with Chic having the edge. The songs where I prefer the Teranna version is where the vocals were all wrong, and the songs were just too damn long. In the case of "My Old Piano", her vocals were mixed way too loud in the Clearmountain mix, and too much emphasis was given to the instrumental interplay near the end.

I was going to say that the two versions of "Give Up" were negligible until I was reminded of the cool little breakdown near the end of the song, which made me give the edge to Chic.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-04-2014 at 06:29 PM.

It would have been interested to hear what Chic could have done with Michael Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It would have been interested to hear what Chic could have done with Michael Jackson.
    Hmmmmmm...Naaaah!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Hmmmmmm...Naaaah!
    hehehehehehehehe, why not??

hehehehehehehehe, why not??
    I can't hear it.

Were there any music videos made for this album?

Lulu Guest
    Were there any music videos made for this album?
    "My Old Piano":

Last edited by Lulu; 05-22-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    "My Old Piano":

Thank you Lulu, although I never felt that this particular song was very strong.

Lulu Guest
    Thank you Lulu, although I never felt that this particular song was very strong.
    I dig the instrumental...particularly on the original 'nard/Nile mix. I understand it was quite popular "abroad" but then again so was that Doobe song that I'm not even going to try to spell out!

Upside Down with No lead vocal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bRzWwuWG0

I think "My Old Piano" is one of the best songs on the album.

smark21 Guest
    I like the music on My Old Piano but the lyrics aren't the best. But I've never been crazy about love songs in which the singer compares her love to a piece of equipment, whether it be an old piano or a driving wheel.

I never cared for the Diana album the only song I liked on here was Upside Down. I thought the songs were childish and silly. Yes Im wrong it sold a lot but so did Ring My Bell! Old Piano is a good catchy tune but what made Im Coming Out so strong is that beginning it really shakes up your ears. Chic was more tailored to Sister Sledge if you ask me and of course their own songs with their own band. The cover helped the sales of that album as well it got a lot of attention. The Boss was a good album! I only like Diana Ross the best when her voice is being pushed by a Michael Masser or an Ashford and Simpson. I can listen to her Motown albums over and over and some of the RCA songs but this particular one its hard for me to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I like the music on My Old Piano but the lyrics aren't the best. But I've never been crazy about love songs in which the singer compares her love to a piece of equipment, whether it be an old piano or a driving wheel.
    But, the song really IS about her piano! It was there in the middle of her living room, so Nile and 'Nard wrote song about it.

I have to say I prefer the Terrana mixes from an instrumental standpoint. When it comes to the vocals, I like the Chic mixes best. That review was a hoot, I had never heard the story about her hitting the stewardess with a wig box with the dog still in it! These days you'd get sent to the federal pen for such behavior. That's why I don't fly.. you raise your voice at a snotty stewardess, she'll call the damn cops.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I have to say I prefer the Terrana mixes from an instrumental standpoint. When it comes to the vocals, I like the Chic mixes best. That review was a hoot, I had never heard the story about her hitting the stewardess with a wig box with the dog still in it! These days you'd get sent to the federal pen for such behavior. That's why I don't fly.. you raise your voice at a snotty stewardess, she'll call the damn cops.
    Well she did attack that stewardess before 9/11 had occurred and Homeland Security, etc, etc. Motown still had to pay the stewardess and the airline not to press assault charges against Ross..........

Crystaledwards Guest
    Well she did attack that stewardess before 9/11 had occurred and Homeland Security, etc, etc. Motown still had to pay the stewardess and the airline not to press assault charges against Ross..........
    How much did Motown have to pay the stewardess and the airline? Which airline was this and where and when did this attack take place?

CE

Quote Originally Posted by Crystaledwards View Post
    How much did Motown have to pay the stewardess and the airline? Which airline was this and where and when did this attack take place?

CE
    I don't know how much they paid, but it was the now defunct Western Airlines. It happened at the ticket counter in Burbank, CA in September 1966.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    But, the song really IS about her piano! It was there in the middle of her living room, so Nile and 'Nard wrote song about it.
    I didn't know that. I thought it was just symbolism. Interesting though. I wonder if the Hollands wrote Driving Wheel for MSS because the ladies loved the steering wheels of the cars they owned at the time?

Crystaledwards Guest
    I don't know how much they paid, but it was the now defunct Western Airlines. It happened at the ticket counter in Burbank, CA in September 1966.
    I cannot find one single link to back up your claim. Perhaps Motown paid Google to wipe the incident from their search engine.

Kindly provide a link to this Western Airlines attack.

CE

Crystaledwards Guest
    Why would a stewardess be working the ticket counter? Wouldn't she be onboard welcoming people onto the plane?

CE
    Last edited by Crystaledwards; 05-27-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Why would a stewardess be working the ticket counter? Wouldn't she be onboard welcoming people onto the plane?

CE
    I don't know. I was like maybe 6 years old back then. You might try contacting Diane or Joe Schaffner and asking them. They were there when Diane began beating the woman in the head with the box with the dog in it. Maybe the author of this album review should have just used the term "airline employee" or "airline ticket agent" . Maybe then it would have made it easier for you to understand what happened. I think most people reading this account would immediately grasp the situation, but I also recognize that there are people just a bit slower than others. That's nothing to be ashamed of, but it must make things a bit difficult for you in this fast paced World we live in.

I cannot find one single link to back up your claim. Perhaps Motown paid Google to wipe the incident from their search engine.

Kindly provide a link to this Western Airlines attack.

CE
    It is not my claim. I was in grade school at Glenwood Elementary School at the time this happen. If you read the the beginning of the album review, you will see that it is the author that makes this claim. I don't believe he provided a link to back up his claim that Diana Ross used a dog and a hatbox to beat a woman working for Western Airlines in the head...........but I will! LOL!!!!

http://books.google.com/books?id=7no...hatbox&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I didn't know that. I thought it was just symbolism. Interesting though. I wonder if the Hollands wrote Driving Wheel for MSS because the ladies loved the steering wheels of the cars they owned at the time?
    Now that would be an interesting concept, but let's examine the lyrics to the Supremes' "You're My Driving Wheel":

"You're My Driving Wheel"

[All:]
    You're my driving wheel

[Scherrie:]
    Feels good, baby

You take me farther

[Susaye:]
    Ooh!

Than I've been before

Ride, ride, ride, ride

You're my driving wheel

Feels so good , baby!

Just one touch

[Mary/Susaye:]
    Ow!/Ooh!

Opens up my door

You're the engine that keeps me running
    You're the motor that keeps me coming:
    To the road that keeps on winding
    Coming to the love
    I keep on finding
    Every time you touch me

Starts my motor running
    I like the way you keep it humming
    Keeps my motor running
    I like the way you keep it humming,

[Mary:]
    Hey!

You're my driving wheel

You better believe it, baby

You take me farther

Whoo!

[All/Susaye harmonizes:]
    Than I've been before

Than I've been before, yeah

You're my driving wheel

My driving wheel, baby

Just one touch--Ow!

Opens up my door

Opens up my door
    Ain't a road in life
    I can't travel
    As long as I know you're there
    Ain't no map I can't unravel
    As long as I know you care
    Every time you touch me

Starts my motor running
    I like the way you keep it humming
    Keeps my motor running
    I like the way you keep it humming, Oh!

You're my driving wheel

I can't hear ya now

You take me farther

Uh huh

Than I've been before

Than I've been before-

You're my driving wheel
    Just one touch
    Opens up my door

Uh huh:
    Uh huh, Uh huh, Uh huh huh,
    Uh huh, Uh huh huh, Uh huh
    Uh huh, huh, huh

You're my driving wheel

Driving wheel, baby

You take me farther

Ooh!

Than I've been before

Than I've been before

You're my driving wheel

Drive me crazy, baby!

Just one touch
    Opens up my door

Opens up my door, yeah

You're my driving wheel

My driving wheel, baby

You take me farther
    Than I've been before

Yeah, yeah, ooh!

You're my driving wheel

You're my driving wheel, baby

Just one touch

Just one touch

Opens up my door

Opens up my door, yeah

You're my driving wheel

You keep me moving, baby

You take me farther

You take me farther

Than I've been before

Than I've been before

You're my driving wheel

You keep me groovin', baby

Crystaledwards Guest
    I don't know. I was like maybe 6 years old back then. You might try contacting Diane or Joe Schaffner and asking them. They were there when Diane began beating the woman in the head with the box with the dog in it. Maybe the author of this album review should have just used the term "airline employee" or "airline ticket agent" . Maybe then it would have made it easier for you to understand what happened. I think most people reading this account would immediately grasp the situation, but I also recognize that there are people just a bit slower than others. That's nothing to be ashamed of, but it must make things a bit difficult for you in this fast paced World we live in.
    There’s nothing like watching a fool congratulate themselves on another successful attack on the person as if it was the decisive point in the argument.

CE

Crystaledwards Guest
    It is not my claim. I was in grade school at Glenwood Elementary School at the time this happen. If you read the the beginning of the album review, you will see that it is the author that makes this claim. I don't believe he provided a link to back up his claim that Diana Ross used a dog and a hatbox to beat a woman working for Western Airlines in the head...........but I will! LOL!!!!

http://books.google.com/books?id=7no...hatbox&f=false
    Oh please do provide the link. I am especially interested in how much Motown had to pay the airline and the woman Diana allegedly abused.

CE

Oh please do provide the link. I am especially interested in how much Motown had to pay the airline and the woman Diana allegedly abused.

CE
    This exactly what I meant by some people being a bit slow. Click on the line that begins with "http://..........................." above. That is what is commonly refered to as a "link". You don't have to thank me, it is my pleasure to assist in your education.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I never cared for the Diana album the only song I liked on here was Upside Down. I thought the songs were childish and silly. Yes Im wrong it sold a lot but so did Ring My Bell! Old Piano is a good catchy tune but what made Im Coming Out so strong is that beginning it really shakes up your ears. Chic was more tailored to Sister Sledge if you ask me and of course their own songs with their own band. The cover helped the sales of that album as well it got a lot of attention. The Boss was a good album! I only like Diana Ross the best when her voice is being pushed by a Michael Masser or an Ashford and Simpson. I can listen to her Motown albums over and over and some of the RCA songs but this particular one its hard for me to get through.
    It [[the album) did have a "sing-along" type quality to it! LOL! I mean none of the lyrics could be considered complexed and the singing is pretty marginal. The instrumentation and the production are what makes it work on some level.

supremester Guest
    What I mean by slow is a person such as YOU, who uses anything negative about Miss Ross that he can - even if he shhoots himself in the foot doing it. St Mary, in Dreamgirl: My Lies As A Supreme tells, on page 183, a completely different version of the sto-ray INCLUDING that Joe Shaffner never went to LA at all. LOL Just sayin' SLOW people don't catch on when people will say ANYTHING to sell a book. Literally ANYTHING, I hissed. So if that link is true, as I assume you purport, then Mary's ain't. LOL!!! hehehehehehehehehe

xo
    Last edited by supremester; 05-27-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Crystaledwards Guest
    This exactly what I meant by some people being a bit slow. Click on the line that begins with "http://..........................." above. That is what is commonly refered to as a "link". You don't have to thank me, it is my pleasure to assist in your education.
    But your link Marvin, doesn't discuss the legal settlement. There are three sides to every story. The author's side, your side, and the truth. Memories shared serve each one differently. In your case we simply cannot trust your word anymore. If someone uses lies and fallacies enough, their name becomes connected to them. It is now valid to dismiss you based on your history here, even if you have something relevant to say. Your repetitive habits involve misinterpreting perceptions or experiences. In reality, however, the situations are either not true at all or or greatly exaggerated.

You have changed, and not for the better, since our last encounter at the Sugar Bar in Manhattan. I actually found you charming that evening.

CE

But your link Marvin, doesn't discuss the legal settlement. There are three sides to every story. The author's side, your side, and the truth. Memories shared serve each one differently. In your case we simply cannot trust your word anymore. If someone uses lies and fallacies enough, their name becomes connected to them. It is now valid to dismiss you based on your history here, even if you have something relevant to say. Your repetitive habits involve misinterpreting perceptions or experiences. In reality, however, the situations are either not true at all or or greatly exaggerated.

You have changed, and not for the better, since our last encounter at the Sugar Bar in Manhattan. I actually found you charming that evening.

CE

Well I am sure you appreciate that I was the only person trying to help you find information about this incident of Diana Ross beating an innocent person in the head with box that had a innocent dog inside. Hey, I know, maybe that guy named Randy Taraborelli could help you find more on it?

I have never been to the Sugar Bar. I know Nick & Val were the owners, but I have never been there. I use to like going to the Shark Bar near the Beacon Theater. Anyway, I think Ralph asked you just a few days ago to drop this idea you have of meeting me, you haven't. Take care now.

Lulu Guest

CE

Does anyone know if there was some "incident" between Miss Ross and Miss Taraborrelli which may explain the differences between her first book Diana [[1985) and Call Her Miss Ross and Diana Ross: A Biography? The first is a nice photographic/career focused chronicle and the later two books read like Peyton Place or Valley of the Dolls! Sure, they're entertaining and "soapy" but they read like novels which makes me wonder if Taraborrelli had some axe to grind and wanted some sort of retribution by writing such a "sensational" set of books that read nothing like well-researched biographies.

supremester Guest
    There may have been an incident at the Western ticket counter, but all 3 versions I've read vary greatly. JRT has a tendency to somehow include dialog in quotes as if he were there - when he wasn't and had no way of knowing the verbage. Makes for a better read, however. Ficticious, but a better read.

CE
    You have the link, dear. Taraborelli's story was from an INTERVIEW with Joe Shaffner. So Joe Shaffner is the source. Don't call Marv untrustworthy for simply repeating words that came out of Joe Shaffner's mouth.

Crystaledwards Guest
    Well I am sure you appreciate that I was the only person trying to help you find information about this incident of Diana Ross beating an innocent person in the head with box that had a innocent dog inside. Hey, I know, maybe that guy named Randy Taraborelli could help you find more on it?

I have never been to the Sugar Bar. I know Nick & Val were the owners, but I have never been there. I use to like going to the Shark Bar near the Beacon Theater. Anyway, I think Ralph asked you just a few days ago to drop this idea you have of meeting me, you haven't. Take care now.
    Oh but you have been to the Sugar Bar dear heart, where you and I had a very pleasant encounter and I can prove it. Are you still using the same AOL e-mail address you gave me that night. I will happily send you a few photos to help you remember our little tête-à-tête at the Sugar Bar and the brief, but pleasant meeting we had at BB Kings over a decade ago I also forget things and people. Some days I can't find my house keys, my car, or my beloved cat.

I am still very much looking forward to your link detailing the financial settlement between Motown and Western Airlines, and their employee that Diana Ross allegedly abused.

CE

Crystaledwards Guest
    You have the link, dear. Taraborelli's story was from an INTERVIEW with Joe Shaffner. So Joe Shaffner is the source. Don't call Marv untrustworthy for simply repeating words that came out of Joe Shaffner's mouth.
    Oh I have the link to the Taraborrelli story. It's the link detailing the financial settlement between Motown and Western Airlines, and the employee Diana Ross allegedly abused, that I am waiting for.

CE
    Last edited by Crystaledwards; 05-28-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Grammar

supremester Guest
    But Mary says Joe Shaffner stayed in Vegas and Don Foster was the person with Miss Ross. Mary also stated all three Supremes went to LA that day for work. Who's telling the truth?