[REMOVE ADS]

the Marvelettes Playboy Hits billboard charts at #88 may 1962. 52 yrs ago.

This record was my 101 intro to the marvelettes sound. I remember hearing this song on the radio in 1962 when I really became interested in records. This song was written in part by its "telling it" lead singer gladys horton, her fine no nonsense lead vocals [[you aint saying nothing in my book, you left the others.standing with their hearts in pain... and now u coming round trying to do me the same)backed by the real marvelettes and said to be juanitas last single before leaving the group. The single was very funky for its time, and it was the first record by the marvelettes that got me listening me to the other songs I were not familiar with esp. Twistin postmat beechwood and someday, someway I somehow missed the celebrity of Please mr. Postman. IPlayboy peaked at #7 on the pop charts, and the marvelettes led by gladys were no flash in the pan and they peaked during the rise of the girl group boom: shirelles, crystals, and cookies. The vandellas and supremes were standing in the wings. 1962 was the year the rock and roll industry started taking girl singers seriously

yea, "Playboy" is a GREAT record...it was great to do the Mash Potato dance to, which was very popular at the time.Gladys really wrote it but ofcourse others got their name on there too.I remember Gladys complaining to Mary Wells in the 80's that she didn't get any statements on "Playboy" & was told it was because she was so young when she wrote it & Mary had a fit telling her that she [[Mary) was 16 when she wrote "Bye Bye Baby" & she got statements. I don't know if Gladys ever did anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    yea, "Playboy" is a GREAT record...it was great to do the Mash Potato dance to, which was very popular at the time.Gladys really wrote it but ofcourse others got their name on there too.I remember Gladys complaining to Mary Wells in the 80's that she didn't get any statements on "Playboy" & was told it was because she was so young when she wrote it & Mary had a fit telling her that she [[Mary) was 16 when she wrote "Bye Bye Baby" & she got statements. I don't know if Gladys ever did anything about it.
    Those artists got ripped off routinely!

Gladys should have done something about not getting proper writers credit her name is listed on the album with three others brian holland robert bateman and mickey stevenson I hesrd her say all the names on that record were not involved with t writing of that song. I wonder what royalties they marvelettes got for playboy.

Glsdys also seemed disenchanted with smokey robinson for reasons we all know about by now.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Glsdys also seemed disenchanted with smokey robinson for reasons we all know about by now.
    I can't remember,but did I ever mention what that was about?